Asahi Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfeighan

Reaction score
first off happy new years every1

got the clone brews book for xmas and am looking to make the asahi in there
Asahi Dry for BIAB

A ProMash Recipe Report

----------------

Batch Size (L): 60.00 Wort Size (L): 60.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.25
Anticipated OG: 1.043 Plato: 10.79
Anticipated SRM: 2.3
Anticipated IBU: 15.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
68.3 7.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
24.4 2.50 kg. Rice Solids Generic 1.040 0
7.3 0.75 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 14.4 60 min.
25.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 1.3 15 min.

Yeast
-----
PRO- 24 CZECH PILSENER YEAST (well i think its that one that i have stored away or pro 23)
http://www.proculture.com.au/index_files/Page439.htm

for the mash i was thinking
30 min @ 50
and 90 min @ 65 (the book says 65.5)

does the rice thin it out a bit cause for the dryness i thought u needed maybe mash at 63,64
is 'german light crystal malt' carapils

any suggestions, i dont care if it is a clone or not, but on a hot day i do enjoy the crisp dry taste that u get from asahi (used to be a TEDs drinker till i got into home brewing)

for the mash i was thinking
30 min @ 50
and 90 min @ 65 (the book says 65.5)

does the rice thin it out a bit cause for the dryness i thought u needed maybe mash at 63,64
is 'german light crystal malt' carapils

any suggestions, i dont care if it is a clone or not, but on a hot day i do enjoy the crisp dry taste that u get from asahi (used to be a TEDs drinker till i got into home brewing)

German light crystal malt is a caramalt - eg. JW or Barret Burton

You'll find that nearly (if not every) recipe has a suggested mash of 65.5. You can use this as a starting point or alter to your hearts content.

If used this book to do a few brews. It certainly gives you a starting point, especially with yeast selection, and from there tweaking the recipe to suit grains, hops, equipment, etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Ken

I believe that BB Galaxy malt is made principally for Asahi and would recommend that as your base malt. Especially if using an adjunct such as rice.

I want to hear how this goes!

Had a pint of it the other day, reminiscing over snowboarding in Japan.... lots of beers on the flight over there.... good times.

this one looks good. As I dont have a proper lager temp set up i may have to brew with 2112 or US-05

ok i ended up with ~50l of wort @ 1050 which should be about on target with 60l @1042

should i dilute and ferment, or ferment and dilute?
it is currently sitting in fermenting fridge to hit pitching temps, bloody hot day today

so final recipe was
2.5kg rice
7kg pilsner
.75kg caramalt (thanks ken for pointing me there)
30 mins @ 50 deg
90 mins @ 65 deg

75.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 14.4 60 min.
25.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 1.3 15 min.
whirlfloc, yeast nutrient as usual

Will be making a similar version of this next week (using 70% galaxy pils, 22% rice solids, 4% light crystal and 4% carapils) and am also interested how this goes. How did you prepare the rice for the mash?

What's the FG meant to be on this brew?

ok i ended up with ~50l of wort @ 1050 which should be about on target with 60l @1042

should i dilute and ferment, or ferment and dilute?
it is currently sitting in fermenting fridge to hit pitching temps, bloody hot day today

Probably too late to post a reply, but if the yeast can handle the higher OG, then leave it as is, water it down when ready to bottle/keg. 1050 it should be fine in anycase. :)

Bump - Mikey, any word on how this is shaping up?

had this on tap for aussie day, went down an absolute treat i watered it down slightly ~5L post fermentation and had a FG of 1009, head retention is really poor probably because of the prolonged protein rest

rice%20lager.jpg

clean crisp dry and a pleasant aroma coming from the saaz perfect for a hot day around the pool :p sort of like asahi but still an absolute treat

will be brewing this again

forgot to add, pitched and fermented at 12 deg and did a diactyl rest when gravity was around 1015 no buttery tastes here :p

yeah hoppinmad i boiled the shit out of the rice in a separate pot and dumped it in the bag with the rest of my grain

Mikey, thanks for updating us on this one.

Out of interest was the bitterness still around 16 IBU's as per your original recipe?

Watering it down would have dropped it slightly no doubt?

Added to my 'to brew list'.

Cheers! :)

maybe im not too sure with the brewing number crunching, but i initially planned on having 60l which failed :p the watering down was qualitative not quantitative i measured out a bit from the fermenter and tasted, watered, tasted, watered till it seemed about right

Adding this to my fast growing 'to do' list.
In fact I already had a similar brew on the list I made up; dropped my pilsner % a little and upped the carapils % to be similar. Cheers for the recipe :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back