Aromatic Malt - Dingimans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashin

Reaction score
Who else has used this malt.. I've made 2 brews with it to date a Dunkel Weizen with ~56% aromatic and a belgian dark strong ale with ~14% both brews have quite a harsh after taste that i could only describe as acrid/astringent. I couldn't imagine using this to 100% of the bill as they claim.

What are other ppls experience with this malt??

Who else has used this malt.. I've made 2 brews with it to date a Dunkel Weizen with ~56% aromatic and a belgian dark strong ale with ~14% both brews have quite a harsh after taste that i could only describe as acrid/astringent. I couldn't imagine using this to 100% of the bill as they claim.

I just brewed with some at the weekend. It's my first time using this grain. Only put 100g (3%) into an English Best Bitter. Give me a few weeks and I'll tell you what it tastes like.

If I were a betting man I'd wager that the "100%" claim is purely meant to indicate that it has enough diastatic power to convert itself. It's not saying that it would produce good beer.

Of course, I'm not a betting man...

that was in the back of my mind Peter. I aliken the flavour and aroma to a brew where I used peated malt. Not the best. Still interested to see what others note about this malt.

Mahony, i'd be interested to hear how your brew goes, 3% may be alright.

Pitty i bought 25kg of the stuff.

Smashin

I wonder if an extra zero has been added by mistake.

Rgds,
Peter

I've been using it at about 2.5-5% in quite a few beer recently, mainly with Halcyon as the base malt. The aroma that I've been getting from these beers has been quite amazing. I haven't had any astringency. Maybe use it as you would any other crystal malt?

James

Just because it can self convert when using 100%, doesn't mean you should use 100% :p

not exactly sure what your contibuting here felton, usually malters state max in batch where required. I.E biscuit malt is recommended @ 5-15% used with a good base malt i'm sure you could fully convert the mash with even 70% or more biscuit. And this recommendation is from the same malter so it would be reasonable to expect a max in batch % stated if the felt that 100% couldn't be used. I could be wrong, hence I'm interested in other taste perception when used in higher %ages.

Smashin

Just because it can self convert when using 100%, doesn't mean you should use 100% :p

Here is a thought or two..
There is a malt made by french maltser franco-belge called special aromatic which was originally made specifically for Palm and their belgian pale ale, which is a exceptional beer. This malt is now availible to others but never heard of it in Australia, anyway at a guess this is maybe where some confusion may come from as this perticular aromatic is designed as somewhat of a base malt along the lines of munich malt, this malt is quoted as having a high DP, 'high' I gather meaning around the same as vienna and munich malts.

However other aromatic malts are possibly closer to melanoidin type being quoted as 'double' munich malts and are generally for only around 10% of the grist.

I am purely guessing the dingemanns may have great attenuation giving you the dry mouth puckering toastyness(astringency).

Suming all that I gather it would be good in a ALT aswell as a belgian pale, many english style ales and of course dunkel and bock. I also would guess it would be a good malt for mini mashing with extact brewing to add a lot of maltiness to the extract beer with just a small mash.
The other aromatic malts are listed at much lower DP then that french special one though.

I must add I have not much experience with aromatic this is just info put together from various things I have read before.

Haven't used the Dingemans but have used the Simpsons Aromatic.

76% Vienna
15% JW Light Munich
9% Aromatic
30 IBU using Perle @ 70 mins
US05

Tasted like a bock but had a hint of something like plum. Couldn't lock down what it was for sure and it wasn't unpleasant but that one flavour seemed a bit out of place for the first few gulps.

According to the Beersmith from the list of grains, http://www.beersmith.com/GrainList.htm
Aromatic malt (from Belgium) can be used up to 10% of a batch and has a DP of 29.0 Lin.
but they also reckon Biscuit Malt doesn't have to be mashed. There appears be much conflicting info about a lot of grains according to differing sources.
Perhaps the astrigency came from residual starches, could this be the case?

According to the Beersmith from the list of grains, http://www.beersmith.com/GrainList.htm
There appears be much conflicting info about a lot of grains according to differing sources.
yeah, and some just plain wrong info. look at Rye Malt from the same source, must limit to 10 to 15%.... bollocks I say. maybe in a pilsner, but not in a roggen, or a Rye PA/IPA, or 90% of the beers I make

disclaimer* above is a personal view and in no way reflects the consensus or opinions of others as expressly stated or inferred in other posts on this site.

Latest posts

Back