Are You A Homebrewer Or A Craftbrewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a Homebrewer or a Craftbrewer?

• Homebrewer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Craftbrewer

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Homebrewer? I brew BEER at HOME..too easy!!! Looks like I am a Homebrewer plain and simple.

Beer brewed in a bath tub? NO
Wort chilled in a bath tub? YES

Home brewed beer is as good as any if not a lot better IMO!!!

YB.

Homebrewer? I brew BEER at HOME..too easy!!! Looks like I am a Homebrewer plain and simple.

Beer brewed in a bath tub? NO
Wort chilled in a bath tub? YES

Home brewed beer is as good as any if not a lot better IMO!!!

YB.
well craft beer at home must be good also

Rather than fighting against it, I just registered the domain name "www.aussiecraftbrewer.com".

I can feel a tidal wave of change coming through the forum, and dammit, I wanna make some money off of it :)

i typed that early on and then deleted it.why not *** aussie craft brewer i said. nice one warm beer. were charging over the hill in numbers.

I am keeping a list of all self-proclaimed craftbrewers and an eagle-eye upon all the brews they post about. Any whomsoever shall talk about brewing someone else's recipe or doing a clone of a commercial beer shall find themselves against the wall.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

As it was pointed out to me by AHB's own self proclaimed Grand Master of Brewing.....

When I was a Kit and Kilo brewer, I was a lowly fermentation assistant.
When I moved to partials, I was just tinkering on the stove top,
When I stepped up to BIAB, I was brewing with a wedding veil,
When I moved up to All Grain, he calls me his apprentice,
Now I make good beers and kick his butt in comps, he calls me a BLOODY ARSEHOLE...!!!!!! :lol:

I perfer Backyard Brewer, because my wife wont let me brew inside the house and it has more of an Australian ring to it.

As it was pointed out to me by AHB's own self proclaimed Grand Master of Brewing.....

Now I make good beers and kick his butt in comps, he calls me a BLOODY ARSEHOLE...!!!!!! :lol:

I perfer Backyard Brewer, because my wife wont let me brew inside the house and it has more of an Australian ring to it.

Bloody Meerkat Brewer!! :lol:

BYB

Just add some oak :p

Craft Brewer Vs. Homebrewer

If you spend time, effort and put your money where your mouth is to learn about the tools involved with something, the raw elements and processes before learning from a more experienced person and then striving to better your product aren't you a craftsman? I.E. Craft Brewer?

The guy who presses buttons on a machine on the IKEA assembly line in a factory isn't the same as the guy who hand carves fine furniture with expensive tools and carefully chosen wood.

It's just a title, and titles don't mean anything until the end product has been tested, but in my opinion I wouldn't be flocking so quickly to associate myself with mediocrity.

I like the term "Hobby Brewer".

"Craftbrewer" brings to mind images of little old ladies stitting around a farmhouse table bottling thier latest brew in quaint little bottles and topping them with little squares of red and white check table cloth secured with twine amd aplying hand written labels ready for sale at the local farmers market/street fair.

Home brewer

I have to say I didn't realise that there was this distinction of bad and good beer. At work I brought in a selection of my beers, surprisingly every single one was liked from the stouts to the quite bitter IPAs to the Alt Beers. It put some people off that I had capped with "Coopers" caps that I had bought from the supermarket. The response was "wow" that clearly isn't the same beer that I was expecting...

Calling myself a home brewer and giving quality beer in itself I believe is changing perceptions. In discussions, sure, I have explained that there is quite a lot of effort that I put into making the best beer possible.

In my own way I feel that if there is a distinction of traditional homebrew being "bad" then I'd rather be called a homebrewer and be the exception than set myself up as a "craftbrewer" or other term and set the wrong expectations (what if you did have an infected bottle etc). I have purchased microbrewed beer that has had NO carbination and I've had some hefewisen from an award winning australian brewery that I and others threw out in a taste test (they are still in the fridge at work).

So Home Brewer it is for me and I also call have "hand crafted beer" on my labels!!!
my 2c

I could assemble a table from Ikea, but I wouldn't say that I crafted it. If I chose some wood, cut it to size, designed a table, and assembled it in the way I wanted, I would say that I had crafted that - It would be hand-crafted. It would also hold more sentimental value than the Ikea piece of crap before it falls apart.
The guy who presses buttons on a machine on the IKEA assembly line in a factory isn't the same as the guy who hand carves fine furniture with expensive tools and carefully chosen wood.
Is there an echo in here? :p

I used to homebrew, but those days are long gone and below me, for now I craft my brews. I pick the grains, hops and yeast that I want to brew with.
Face it guys, what's nearly the first thing that goes on in someones mind when you tell them you homebrew? I'll tell you, they think your a cheapskate/tight#rse looking to make the cheapest plonk you can.

BTW, do you think we can have the sites' name changed to AussieCraftBrewer, AussieHomeBrewer just sounds so damn nasty :p ;)

Cheers

I am a homebrewer that makes craft beer.

I love this statement and that's exactly where I think I am at Brad.

Im a "Hobbybrauer", so Im excluded from AHB now?

Never would we here in Australia and AHB exclude our very own German bratwurst.

Being a Knob i'm not far off being an Artisanal Brewer....

Screwy

Uh there is sooooooo much to add here but we all know Screwy is Da Serious Brewer Man. :p

why do you think that "homebrew" is bad, I mean commercial food outlets say "home made food", as if putting the "home" in the front makes its better. does it make it sound like more love and attention to detail has gone into it?

So why is putting the word "home" infront of brew just as good?

I agree Dug but put home + brew together and that's when the fur flies.

I am a craftbrewer cause I dont brew in a bag,Ha ha lol And I have a pump.He he.
Hows that chap chap.

Here here perfect Sav and those without pumps are just try hards huh? :ph34r:

I like the term "Hobby Brewer".

"Craftbrewer" brings to mind images of little old ladies stitting around a farmhouse table bottling thier latest brew in quaint little bottles and topping them with little squares of red and white check table cloth secured with twine amd aplying hand written labels ready for sale at the local farmers market/street fair.

Tb I think this is what doesn't sit well with me when the tern "craft' is used. Maybe I was dragged by Grandma to way to many Bridge morning teas and Quilting outings as a child?

Nob here

-BD

Duh! Well we all knew that!

Who knew we were all such passionate brewers?

I think the original point was to rubbish the stupid idea that there was an absolute distinction between home brewers as people who didn't give a crap about their final product and craftebrewers as some kind of anal technical magical artist type person. Just read how stupid the original quote actually is to anyone with a modicum of grey coloured cellular material.

The main word is 'brewer' and while there are people out there who produce low quality cheap alcohol (and some of them work for major commercial breweries) it's really a dig at someone who should know better.

I make home brew and I care about very much about crafting it and refining it and improving it thankyou Mr S. No major distinction in my mind and no aspersions cast on the way anyone chooses to phrase it. I'm more interested in their processes, knowledge and above all - interest in expanding that knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge.

Craft schmaft, home schmome.

I know I answered already but the whole thing's a bit of a wank. I brew beer. I don't 'home brew' beer and I don't 'craft brew' beer. I just brew it and try to make each batch better than the last.

I also brew cider and wish to make wine and maybe some other fermented beverages because I'm interested in process rather than how everybody else perceives what level I'm at.

Some other people made this point in less words than I did, already.

Yim

Back