Are You A Homebrewer Or A Craftbrewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a Homebrewer or a Craftbrewer?

• Homebrewer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Craftbrewer

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think the original point was to rubbish the stupid idea that there was an absolute distinction between home brewers as people who didn't give a crap about their final product and craftebrewers as some kind of anal technical magical artist type person. Just read how stupid the original quote actually is to anyone with a modicum of grey coloured cellular material.

So really, this is just six pages of debate about a trolling statement? Doesn't that just help to satisfy their ego even more? :ph34r:

Yep.

I think that's why my original response was "And the above quote was so ridiculous I didn't even think it warranted a response" (first post).

Now I'm responding to responses that were responding to something that didn't warrant a response and the whole world's gone topsy turvy.

Round and round we go.

I have a liver condition and it requires constant supervision.

I have one where is needs alcohol to keep it active.

we are all Home-brewers.
Experience and practice and learning through communication here or else where, enables you to pick up the craft.

A craft person is some one who dedicates a major part of their life to the art of brewing.

I was "crafty" home brewer.
But with less then Dozen brews for 2009,

AAAAARGHHHHntagonist brewer ATM :huh:

Seems ar fellow knob had some input into the design of my new aussiehomebrewer.com T shirt.

The graphic represents Malt, Hops, Kettle and Beer. No sign of a Tin or spoon :lol:

Happy with that,

Screwy

Reverse Alchemist.

I turn gold(en barley) into a muddy liquid...

Craftbrewer here in the north ...

I like Screwtop and BYB's replys ....

Cheers

Im a homebrewer trying to craft a good beer. When I have mastered the craft* I will call myself a craftbrewer.
Cheers
Steve

*This will never happen.

I brew beer at home.

Sometimes I get my sugars from grain, sometimes from a can, sometimes from a combination of the two.

I recently had a wide range and large number of tradies at my house, who enjoyed my beer in substantial quantity.

I had them discussing various styles and flaws, and they concluded that my brew is reasonably good. Some insisted it was the best beer, of any kind, they had ever consumed.

My friends enjoy my beers, and I do to though I rarely drink much these days.

I enjoy discussing beer, getting people to understand that it is not just made in factories and can have infinite variations.

But I am just a home brewer. I do other crafts, but am still just a home brewer. I don't care what the masses might think of the term and its negative connotations. Craft brewer is a wank term :)

Cheerz Wabster.

I do other crafts

I don't care what the masses might think of the term and its negative connotations. Craft brewer is a wank term :)

Chk Chk...Boom. Right in the foot :lol:

Screwy

GOD DAMN IT..........

IF we all call ourselves something other than home brewers that means Dane will have to change the forums name from "Aussiehomebrewer.com.au" to "whatever.com.au"....then we will have to get the t-shirts from the bulk buy all re-done and i only just got mine in the mail today and havent even worn yet.......Nice they are too.

I am a craftbrewer cause I dont brew in a bag,Ha ha lol :D And I have a pump.He he.

Here here perfect Sav and those without pumps are just try hards huh? :ph34r:

:huh: Let me see... I will now have to re-classify...

I must be a homebrewing try-hard craftbrewer... I don't brew in a bag and I don't have a pump. :p

Gavo.

Craft Brewer....too much effort goes into my beers.

I don't want people thinking my beer is like the sugar and kit stuff their old man/brother/FIL used to make when the beer strikes were on!!

It's a personal thing, I don't want to be labelled as a cheap arse/dodgy brewer.

I agree with many of the points for and against, but for me it's craft.

This is got to be biggest w@nk topic on this whole site.

What's a home brewer? Anyone that brews at home. This includes people, like my dad, who goes to the supermarket, picks up the same can everytime, thows in a kilo of dextrose and ferments using the kit yeast. The results are variable to say the least. There are probably thousands of home brewers in the community who brew this way because they don't know any different.

What's a craft brewer? Is a K&K who uses non-kit yeasts and temp controls his brews a craftbrewer? They are trying to create better beer and care about the results.

Or is it only AG brewers who do everything from scratch?

@Chappo - perhaps you should define what you think is a craftbrewer rather than use someone else's words to attack them.

I answered home brewer because I'm an Australian and we don't need wanky terms to describe ourselves. We just let the results speak for themselves.

I love to cook. I'm good at it. I have a collection of books, but I also go about experimenting and trying to make my own, personal dishes. I've got a garden full of herbs, fruit, etc, and they aren't there for show.

I'm not a chef (craftbrewer). Neither is the slimy looking kid working the cookers @ KFC (megaswill-brewer :ph34r: )
- (who is quite possibly an awesome home cook)

I make beer. Not great beer, but I'm getting better every day and they are all to my own recipies. Labels schmables.

This is got to be biggest w@nk topic on this whole site.

What's a home brewer? Anyone that brews at home. This includes people, like my dad, who goes to the supermarket, picks up the same can everytime, thows in a kilo of dextrose and ferments using the kit yeast. The results are variable to say the least. There are probably thousands of home brewers in the community who brew this way because they don't know any different.

This is EXACTLY why I say craftbrewer. Homebrewer has the connotations above. You said it, but still want the same label?

I answered home brewer because I'm an Australian and we don't need wanky terms to describe ourselves. We just let the results speak for themselves.

The results are variable to say the least.

Still want the label? Being Australian has nothing to do with it.

brewing is a craft. the term "homebrewing" simply applies a location to your craftbrewing.

for example a lot of us have an AG setup that in principle follows the same steps as a typical commcerical micro, just on a smaller scale.

so at this stage we are homebrewers. however if we ever get to the nirvana that a lot of us aim for and open a micro of our own, we will then be a craftbrewer as we're not brewing at home anymore. the beer will still be the same ingredients and process.

so what happens then if you open a micro and live on the premises, like the folks at cowaramup brewing company? is jeremy still a homebrewer? funny thing is, he would probably happily say YES!

:beer:

Back