Are You A Homebrewer Or A Craftbrewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a Homebrewer or a Craftbrewer?

• Homebrewer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Craftbrewer

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Craft brewer doesn't sound nearly pretentious for yours truely.
I prefer the term "Brew Master" or "Beersmith", and generally wear a badge affirming my position whilst brewing, not to mention overalls, goggles and large boots.
What about the lab coat? Your outfit isn't complete without a lab coat!

What about the lab coat? Your outfit isn't complete without a lab coat!
Oh yeah!
Possibly the best article of brew-clothing in existence, how could I forget.
Nothing better than brewing a beer and looking like a scientist out of a Bond movie at the same time.

LOL, a lab cost, because we don't all have neighbours that already think we are drug barons......

Craft brewer doesn't sound nearly pretentious for yours truely.
I prefer the term "Brew Master" or "Beersmith", and generally wear a badge affirming my position whilst brewing, not to mention overalls, goggles and large boots.

Craft brewers are for professionals I reckon. F%$ing good homebrewers are titles for people like you Mug. Goggles and boots though .. what, you a messy ******* or something ... says me ..hehehe. Brewmaster sounds like pretentious twat. Beersmith is a software program.

F*&"ing keen homebrewers are titles for people like me.

Titles are crap .. says the only communist accountant in Australia. Boys, I have lots of titles apart from the funny ones, a title means jack squat unless you trully earn it and your peers endow it on you.

I love homebrewed beer, though would love a title that differentuates me as a homebrewer from those people who K & K. Still haven't found one I like.

So keep raving on blokes.

ps Definitely not having a shot at Muggus, Bonj or Pollux, whom I love like brew brothers and possibly, in Bonj's case, ruined his swag.

LOL, a lab cost, because we don't all have neighbours that already think we are drug barons......
I think they're onto me when I come home with a bag full of dextrose.

At time of posting, craftbewers (57) ; homebrewers (68) - - - maybe this site will have to be called "Aussie Craft Brewer" (***) soon.

Back to the embroidery.

Craft brewers are for professionals I reckon. F%$ing good homebrewers are titles for people like you Mug. Goggles and boots though .. what, you a messy ******* or something ... says me ..hehehe. Brewmaster sounds like pretentious twat. Beersmith is a software program.

F*&"ing keen homebrewers are titles for people like me.

Titles are crap .. says the only communist accountant in Australia. Boys, I have lots of titles apart from the funny ones, a title means jack squat unless you trully earn it and your peers endow it on you.

I love homebrewed beer, though would love a title that differentuates me as a homebrewer from those people who K & K. Still haven't found one I like.

So keep raving on blokes.

ps Definitely not having a shot at Muggus, Bonj or Pollux, whom I love like brew brothers and possibly, in Bonj's case, ruined his swag.

+1... what I was trying to say but not very well earlier on

You raise an interesting point here Fatz.
Mainly because something like a K&K beer isn't so much 'brewed', rather simply 'made'. No physical brewing required.
Whereas, enduring the milling, mashing, lautering, sparging, boiling, cooling, and fermenting (i may have missed something here!) of an AG batch of beer is much more an epic days work, and worthy of the term "brewing".

Unfortunately "homebrew" will always have the stigma of bad KnK brews, so really there should be a term to differentiate between both. Especially consider almost all of the beer drinking nation has no idea what kind of processes go into making a glass of fine beer!

I'm a drinker with a brewing problem. I go to group therapy sessions once a month with other people who suffer with the same disorder.... does that count?

I'm a drinker with a brewing problem. I go to group therapy sessions once a month with other people who suffer with the same disorder.... does that count?

I think I go to the same group therapy.

I'm a drinker with a brewing problem.
:icon_offtopic: Reminds me of the Hash House Harriers:

A running club with a drinking problem.
A drinking club with a running problem.
A club with no F^$$##*ing problems!!!

On On!

I'm a homebrewer. I hate that the nationals in Australia are called the "Amateur" brewers. It should be home brewers, not amateur. But then again, that's not all I hate about that competition........

I'm a homebrewer. I hate that the nationals in Australia are called the "Amateur" brewers. It should be home brewers, not amateur. But then again, that's not all I hate about that competition........

Amateur is another one of those words that has a certain stigma attached to it, just like "homebrewer". Amateur really just means you don't make a living off it, and homebrewing means you brew at home.

Quick reply I hope.

Words mean things and we are always messing with them. Because words are used differently in different countries I will stick with what has been used and is used in the USA.

Not old enough nor have studied brewing history so will start with the relatively recent explosion in brewing. We had breweries with local and national distribution. They brewed popular but not the best beer. If you wanted something besides what they offered you bought stale imports or brewed at home. That is where homebrewer came from.

When some homebrewers took the chance and fought for the ability to brew small commercial batches that is when the term craftbrewer came from. It was used I guess more for marketing to distance them selves from the poor selection and quality of the big corporate brewers.

They then started to get technical in describing a brewery based on how many barrels they produce yearly and how they sell. A brew pub only brews and sells on site. They are limited as to how many barrels they can brew. Then there are micro breweries and craft breweries. I am sure I missed something but that is how I understand the system.

If I called myself a craftbrewer people would want to know the name of my brewery and where they can buy my product. The terms used here are homebrewer for anyone that brews at home and a brewer for anyone that actually brews in a commercial brewery. If you are a brewer and into titles then you may use assistant brewer or brew master depending on position.

The odd thing is once a person becomes a brewer they usually stop home brewing. I guess it is like taking work home. Plus any good brewer is always working on test batches for product development.

Apologies for dragging up a dead thread but ... a neighbour spotted me cleaning up post-brewday just recently and we got chatting about brewing. At one point as I started to launch into my 5-page description of "I don't use kits, I start with grain ..." he just said "So you brew the Traditional Way then?". So I plan on using that as a succinct explanation and if someone is interested enough to pursue what that means then it allows me to go into greater detail.

I guess it depends if you offer your beer as "Homebrew" or "Craft Beer"

On that criteria, I am a homebrewer.

I do, however believe that it is a craft and a science to make the best beer possible.

Therefore, I am a home brewer, a craft brewer, and alchemist and a scientist.

I feel so special now :lol:

Fester Out.

Latest posts

Back