Are You A Homebrewer Or A Craftbrewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a Homebrewer or a Craftbrewer?

• Homebrewer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Craftbrewer

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Better count me in the knob category. I make Craft Brewed Beer at Home. Why do I proclaim that? You all know why, you have all offered Homebrewed Beer to your friends, neighbours, family and seen the response. I don't mix stuff up and stick it in the shed or under the house for a couple a weeks. I craft my beers and care about what I offer people, I even measure the gravity with a thingy.

Would any of you pay for a commercial beer from any small/micro/craft brewery located in someone's home that labelled it homebrew, I think not. My beers are as good as commercially Craftbrewed Beer and I will refer to them as such, therefore I am a Craft Brewer and a Knob. Maybe some home brewers have inferiority complex disorder.

Bound to stir some good debate with this gem Chap Chap :lol:

Screwy

PS: I CRAFFTED THESE WORDS AT HOME

<snip>
I like the idea of craft, brings to my mind the pursuits of the artisan. Working steadily with your hands, applying hard earned knowledge, exercising patience, using in many cases traditional, hand driven or at least non-commercial equipment and processes and enjoying the rewards of your efforts. Craft brewer works for me.
<snip>

Isn't that what brewing is though? It's like saying ATM machine. Brewing is all those things so saying you're a craft brewing is just the same as saying you're a home brewer but you're stating where you brew.

Brewing is working with your hands to perfect a craft/hobby/interest and more. I fail to see the need for the word craft.

Edit: I can't spell

If people ask me what my hobbies are, I'd be more inclined to say "I make beer" for some reason.

Same here. Leaving the word "home" off the front does tend stop a few people's eyes from rolling. But If i had to pick from the two it would definitely be "homebrewer".

For me, the most ridiculous thing about the post that inspired this thread was not that it was pointlessly divisive but that it was a response to someone who was essentially asking him if he was affiliated with a retailer with a specific name.

bum: You didn't expect a straight answer from Craftpolitician, did you? :lol:

I cant decide what agnostic means....What does agnostic mean???

I am a craftbrewer. Purely because homebrew conjours up images of the old bloke next door passing a schooner of frothing infected stinky beer over the fence saying "dont worry about the head - its just working too well"

Labelling myself as a craftbrewer is neither elitist, nor knobby. It gives the hobby a better image and makes joe average do a double take and rethink his preconceived ideas.

Invariably someone will ask what the difference is and thats my chance to educate and hopefully get them to sample some of my craft. They then spread the word that 'homebrew aint homebrew'.

mckenry

I wouldn't exactly call myself a craftbrewer but I certainly care about making something really good, and better then the last batch or anything you buy in the shop... by creativity and pushing limits etc etc. I spend a lot more on ingredients for beer making then I would if I buy the beer in shop.... but get much better product which I like more than anything in the shop!

There is a crafty, creative side to home brewing as well as a scientific side, and then there is the plain old way of wanting to make something thats 'value' for money and saves on the back pocket... and also there is everything in between!

Invariably someone will ask what the difference is and thats my chance to educate and hopefully get them to sample some of my craft. They then spread the word that 'homebrew aint homebrew'.

But it is. Home brew is all of these things and more. Homebrew is making beer and working towards making better beer. That's the most common goal I see on the forums.

If you're going to look at the different between "craft" and "home", we should probably think about "brewer" as well.

If you empty a tin into a plastic container, add water, sugar/extract, yeast, etc., you ain't a brewer.

My visualisation of "craftbrewing" is at a commercial scale... brewing companies that make beer that isn't just pale lager.

I would say all homebrewers (considering "actual" brewers) are craftbrewers, unless your home is a megabrewery pumping out lager for the masses.

I wouldn't consider some full blown operations craft brewers though. What they can do with the refined chemical components is far beyond what a brewer can do.

That's crazy - do they see Amateur as being derogatory or something?? Not too long ago amateurs were the only ones allowed in the Olympics before the professional (read paid) sports people jumped in.

I like the word "Amateur"

Infact it's one of my most used terms in Google, and Redtube, searches ;)

Better count me in the knob category. I make Craft Brewed Beer at Home. Why do I proclaim that? You all know why, you have all offered Homebrewed Beer to your friends, neighbours, family and seen the response. I don't mix stuff up and stick it in the shed or under the house for a couple a weeks. I craft my beers and care about what I offer people, I even measure the gravity with a thingy.

Would any of you pay for a commercial beer from any small/micro/craft brewery located in someone's home that labelled it homebrew, I think not. My beers are as good as commercially Craftbrewed Beer and I will refer to them as such, therefore I am a Craft Brewer and a Knob. Maybe some home brewers have inferiority complex disorder.

+1 its a good perspective Screwy, though I voted agnostic as I don't tell anyone either, I just brew my own beer.

im happy to call myself a homebrewer. but i can also relate why others might prefer craft brewer. 9 out 10 of poeple who ask about homebrew relate it to being cheap cats piss alcahol that taste nothing like beer. if you say youre a craft brewer it may be more likely for someone to try your beer with a touch less prejudice.

But it is. Home brew is all of these things and more. Homebrew is making beer and working towards making better beer. That's the most common goal I see on the forums.

I know (as do most on here) that you're right. The poll is are you a homebrewer or craftbrewer. They probably are the same, but the connotation to joe average is not. Always, always, always, when I mention I brew beer, they say "is it rocket fuel?" then go on to tell me a story of the time their flatemate/brother/neighbour made some and how bad it was. I lived next door to the bloke in my above post. It happens all the time. Stories of terrible homebrew are everywhere.
Thats why I say craftbrewer and try to shed a different light.
mckenry

we are all craftbrewers guys,we produce labour intensive hand crafted beers. be proud of the name and say goodbye to homebrewer and welcome our new name, we r fuckin craft brewers and be proud of it. from the allgrainer to the tin men and women stand up and shout it out loud WE ARE CRAFTBREWERS. wow iam freakin myself out. :D

Hey all,

Interesting topic. Always considered myself a homebrewer because thats where I did it 8).

What is a craftbrewer?.... beads on threads or sewing whilst waiting 8)

FB

I like the word "Amateur"

Infact it's one of my most used terms in Google, and Redtube, searches ;)

+2.

Though if I want to sound 'just a little bit fancy' I do like the term artisan brewer.

Back