Apartment All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
I've done 4 brews now and I'm getting my routine down pat. Haven't made a dud yet. Not all have been how I wanted, but they've all been good and drinkable.
Here's my rig in action.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

016.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

(photos are a pastiche of a couple of different brew days)

I BIAB, but because of the limited space, I actually use a 2v system with the bag only aiding in cleaning up the spent grist from the mashtun/kettle and it's really only incidental to the process, so I don't want to get into the whys and wherefores of that here with the usual suspects. I'm able to sparge through the bag supported by a perf. stainless false bottom without getting a stuck sparge, so it's kind of propper all grain!

A couple of the things I struggle with is temperature controlling the fermentation. I have no space to install a second fridge or freezer up here. There's carpet on the floors except for in the kitchen and I'm deadly afeard of it leaking and buggering it up. I do have a powerless storage space downstairs on the south side of the building that stays at a constant temperature. Most ferments so far have stayed at around 19 degrees, the last one rising to 21 after a series of stinkin' hot days recently. I'm sampling it now, and can't taste anything awry with it. I'm looking at dropping the fementer into a tub of water on the slab to even the temperature out. I'd love to be able to keg, but again, no space.

Just wanted to open a discussion on brewing in a small space. Anyone else doing it? Any tips and tricks, or abuse for doing it differently to you?

Cheers,

FB

Errm..
I guess you could run the 'out' line from the plate chiller into your washing machine for recycling - or into the bath tub, ad some Radox and relax with a beer and a good book.
I'm on tank water. So I think like that.
Pretty slick setup.

There's carpet on the floors except for in the kitchen and I'm deadly afeard of it leaking and buggering it up.

When i was brewing at a mates place with carpet i would put the fermenter into a garbage bag and seal up the bag in case of any explosions. Didn't have any but better safe than sorry.
Its a nice setup you have there.
Ekul

I have to ask...........How much moccona do you drink???

Great work! Just shows where there's a will there's away and what I'm generally finding is that brewers are the ones that will find it. :beer:

Excellent.

My kitchen (in a house) is the same size as yours, so I understand the confined space thing. I double pot BIAB on the stove, and I'll be getting myself a bucket-in-bucket lauter sorted out soon.

However, the fortunate part is that I have a downstairs with power, so my keg fridge and my (teeny tiny) fermentation freezer is down there as well.

If you could get a fermentation freezer like mine
freezer.png

It's tiny and compact and is big enough for a fermenter or a couple of jerry cans for lagering. It may be good for you (bathroom, laundry - something like that).

I also found at this time of year, I had to move my fridge and freezer to a darker area of the garage - it was too hot and they were both working hard.

Goomba

Great work! Just shows where there's a will there's away and what I'm generally finding is that brewers are the ones that will find it. :beer:

Looks like a sweet setup.

I'm brewing in an apartment too - so everything gets packed away after.

I BIAB in a Crown Urn which works great in small spaces - except for the small amount of wort spillage (usually when removing the bag) it's a pretty clean and simple process.

I might have a try and this method next time though. So to clarify; it looks to be clear you mash in your kettle/urn - sparge to fermenter - transfer back to urn/kettle for the boil then gravity feed through a plate chiller to the fermenter then pitch?

Do you use a hop screen on your kettle or a pre-filter - before the plate chiller? Do you whirlpool?

Following from this thread though Wort Chilling for BIAB in an Urn I'm looking for a better way to filter and chill my wort so that is cool and clear for pitching on the same day.

Looking at your setup that looks pretty workable - almost the same amount of space I have to work with.

Ditto re. good setup and brewing progress.

A couple of the things I struggle with is temperature controlling the fermentation.
I have no space to install a second fridge or freezer up here. There's carpet on
the floors except for in the kitchen and I'm deadly afeard of it leaking and
buggering it up.
Just wanted to open a discussion on brewing in a small space. Anyone else doing
it? Any tips and tricks, or abuse for doing it differently to you?
Cheers,
FB
What about a small bar fridge (but big enough for your fermenter +extras) on
a trolley to deal with the lack of space? The trolley would allow the fridge to be
moved around easily and could be used as table space. I'm also in a spaced
challenged situation and have built a trolley for my system from slotted
angles, nuts/bolts and nylon wheels like:

Completely understand fear of brewing leak on carpet but the trolley could have
some kind of plastic crate on it like item #6 on this catalogue that the fridge sits
over - need to find a crate with width/breadth to match the fridge and put a
pedestal in it for the fridge to sit on (so door can open).

Looks like I'm not the only one collecting Moccona jars like those :p

T.

Nice work. Similar to my current setup, except I am smaller still. My batch size is usually 10-14L. I BIAB in a 20L urn, and sparge in a small esky:
IMAG0110.jpg

I then ferment in a small bar fridge (all fridge, no freezer) which fits two 15L cubes (pictured). It gives me extra bench space :) :
IMAG0109.jpg

This is more or less my current system.

Mash In
1.jpg

Rest
2.jpg

'Sparge'
3.jpg

Boil
41.jpg

high Tech extraction system
4.jpg

Whirlpool
42.jpg

Fermenter
43.jpg

No Chill
5.jpg

Keg
6.jpg

Fridge
7.jpg

This is more or less my current system.

I also brew in a fairly small apartment but am fortunate enough to have a balcony big enough to allow me to take it out of the kitchen. I get some strange looks from passers by even got questioned by the coppers one day as someone though I was doing something illegal.

Storage of my gear is a pain in the ass, but it is a small price to pay for great beer.

Only real issue is that the table isn't quite high enough for a perfect gravity fed system. Brew day is also a workout as I have to lift the Mash tun and kettle up and down off the table.

Basic Set-up
PA140282.JPG

Sparging.
PA140286.JPG

Into the cube
PA150291.JPG

Luckily the missus doesn't mind me using our spare bathroom for fermenting and storing bottles.

Moving into a house with a double garage soon; Bloody luxury.

JD

I also brew in a fairly small apartment but am fortunate enough to have a balcony big enough to allow me to take it out of the kitchen. I get some strange looks from passers by even got questioned by the coppers one day as someone though I was doing something illegal.

JD

This made me laugh :lol: People are funny, yeah your doing something illegal so you would go and do it outside on balcony for all the world to see?

Well done on the set up in your given space though and everyone else, interesting to see how creative homebrewers are.

This made me laugh :lol: People are funny, yeah your doing something illegal so you would go and do it outside on balcony for all the world to see?

Well done on the set up in your given space though and everyone else, interesting to see how creative homebrewers are.

Funny thing was one of the coppers who quizzed me was also a home brewer who was looking at moving into all grain. Spent the next half an hour looking at my gear, taking notes and asking questions. There are your tax dollars hard at work. :p

JD.

I might have a try and this method next time though. So to clarify; it looks to be clear you mash in your kettle/urn - sparge to fermenter - transfer back to urn/kettle for the boil then gravity feed through a plate chiller to the fermenter then pitch?

Do you use a hop screen on your kettle or a pre-filter - before the plate chiller? Do you whirlpool?

That's pretty much the process. The cotton duck sides on the bag prevent the sparge water going around the grains. My false bottom doesn't cover the whole of the bottom of the kettle, so my next mod is to cut some s/s mesh to cover the open parts, so in theory the bag could be made redundant. Too much work to scoop the grain out though. I've got a home made s/s 0.4mm mesh hop blocker as a pre-filter. I made it as long as I could because it sits below the element which is the main impediment to whirlpooling. It must work, because the chiller doesn't need too much backflushing before the water runs clean. I just need to look at a way to limit cold break getting into the fermenter now.

Funny thing was one of the coppers who quizzed me was also a home brewer who was looking at moving into all grain. Spent the next half an hour looking at my gear, taking notes and asking questions. There are your tax dollars hard at work. :p

JD.

Cops can be cool. Reminds me of the time the neighbours called the cops on me and my brother for testing a very, very loud Ducati historic race bike in the street in front of the place we were living at the time. The lone Highway Patrol guy they sent was more interested in the bike and having a whinge about how people would call the cops for any little thing they didn't like!

Don't talk to me about bloody Moccona jars! I drink 2 cups a week if that. Mrs ******* seems to need to buy a new one every week. Dunno what she does with it, because I never see her drinking it either. We've got a cupboard devoted to empty bloody Moccona jars!

The cotton duck sides on the bag prevent the sparge water going around the grains.

Yeah that is a pretty deluxe looking grain bag - did you make it or buy it from somewhere?

I bit the bullet and bought a plate chiller today - I can't wait to take it for a spin this weekend.

The bag's home made from spotlight voille and the cotton duck was obtained from an art supply shop a few years back to make pudding cloths. I hand stitched it together then got Mutha ******* to stitch it properly on the Lemair. She hasn't sewed anything in close to 25 years, so it's in the scope of possibility for a beginner!

You won't regret buying the chiller. When I was first gearing up I had a good think about no-chilling, and decided that a chiller was necessary! No chill sounds simpler, but from what I can work out, makes things harder in the long run.

Hopefully doing another brew this weekend, if I can get the mixer tap on the sink fixed.

Im in an appartment too. Not really enough room to do it on the balcony so have moved to electric and make it in the kitchen. Just moved to kegging in 9L kegs and going to get a small keg fridge to sit in the lounge which can fit the fermentor on hot days and chill the Kegs when needed. I will drink out of bottles when the fermentor needs the fridge.

I figured if it looked nice and shiny it can sit in the lounge.

The pick is of just before a brew day.

brewday.jpg

Errm..
I guess you could run the 'out' line from the plate chiller into your washing machine for recycling - or into the bath tub, ad some Radox and relax with a beer and a good book.
I'm on tank water. So I think like that.
Pretty slick setup.

This concerns me too. I normally fill the watering cans, cubes and whatever else I can find to fill, but I do waste a lot of it. Might have to make a longer hose to run into the bath to use for washing water.

Im in an appartment too. Not really enough room to do it on the balcony so have moved to electric and make it in the kitchen. Just moved to kegging in 9L kegs and going to get a small keg fridge to sit in the lounge which can fit the fermentor on hot days and chill the Kegs when needed. I will drink out of bottles when the fermentor needs the fridge.

I figured if it looked nice and shiny it can sit in the lounge.

The pick is of just before a brew day.

Wow. Blingy.

Latest posts

Back