Anzac Day Commemorative Beer Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doglet

Reaction score
With the Easter thread going it has occurred to me that Anzac Day is also coming.

Has anyone got any thoughts of a commemorative ale to brew on the public holiday between rounds of two-up? My grandpa was in WWII and was a home brewer in his retirement so I'd like to dedicate something to him.

My inititial idea is either a pale ale or bitter using Australian malt and NZ hops. What sort of beers were drunk back in the days of WWI in Australia? I think a historical type beer would suit.

Any thoughts?

How about a Efes Pilsner clone :ph34r:

Am I seeing double doglet. I have (on loan) a book on early brewing/beer in Australia which suggests that by WWI most of the breweries had been gobbled up by the big players who are still about now, and light lagers were becoming more popular than ales. Prior to the rise of the lagers though, Australian beer was not apparently very good, the 'Colonial twang'. Other than lagers, the most likely styles would have been English. So a bitter might well be the way. Apparently, people liked sweeter beers than the English though, producing "sweet, mild beers containing a great deal of sugar and a small quantity of hops". Something along those lines may be authentic, but would you like it.

Also loved this quote.

"We cannot make lager beer here [in Australia]", Mr. J.M. Toohey, 1886.

How about something with the majority of the ANZAC biscuit ingredients in there.. it could make for an intresting beer.

Yes, I was going to suggest that. Oats, golden syrup, coconut, wheat.

Kai said:
Yes, I was going to suggest that. Oats, golden syrup, coconut, wheat.
[post="118918"][/post]​

Email tdh, he brewed his ANZAC biscuit beer a few years back.

Anzac Beer
The first thing that you need to do is forget your bias against sugar (cane sugar) and use it. There is actually very little apart from from well intentioned bigotry to suggest that cane sugar has a deleterious effect on beer.
Make sure though that it is CSR..Colonial Sugar Refinery..nothing else will do.
Chances are that a goodly amount of the beer made in Australia in 1915 owed more to the traditional working mans drink of England, Porter, than the Czech Pilseners tha had only really been around a few decades.
This porter style carries on even today in in Tooheys Old (well in colour if nothing else) and the sadly defunct Tooths Old.
I would suggest for 30 litres

3.5 kg Pale Ale malt
400 gms Rolled oats
400gms flaked whaet
100gms Chocolate Mlat
50 gms roast barley

Mash at about 65C as there will be a fair body contribution from the oats and a bit from the whaet.

To the boil add white sugar to achieve your target gravity (something between 200 and 600gms I guess, dependant on your target)

Hops...only one choice here...New Zealand Southern Cross to your calculated IBU's.

Yeast...British Ale of Some Sort !!!!!

Enjoy !!

Kurtz

K.d.Kurtz said:
Chances are that a goodly amount of the beer made in Australia in 1915 owed more to the traditional working mans drink of England, Porter, than the Czech Pilseners tha had only really been around a few decades.
[post="118982"][/post]​

Not necessarily so Doctor. :blink:

Continental Lager styles were alive and well and fairly in the mainstream by the advent of the 20th century, well in Victoria anyway. As shown by these CUB labels of the era there was even a low/no alcohol beer to keep the troops on the straight and narrow.

Boys will be boys I guess. Even back then. Do reckon they sold any of the watered down stuff? Would have gone nicely with the "Camp Pie" (Bully Beef) :lol:

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

This is my Anzac Day Commemorative Brew.
Hopefully making it tomorrow afternoon, otherwise it will have to wait till Monday.

I wanted to make a Coopers Pale Ale clone but have not started up any Coopers yeast.
This should be close enough.

It will be interesting because the only time I ever used sugar in a brew was with the first couple of kit brews I made using the Coopers brewing sugar.

Anzac Aussie Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 21/04/2006
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: John
Boil Size: 35.32 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Johns equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 86.0 %
0.10 kg Powells Caramalt (Powells Malt) (22.0 EBC) Grain 2.2 %
0.10 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts) (2.0 EBC) Grain 2.2 %
24.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00%] (60 min) Hops 26.0 IBU
0.45 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 9.7 %
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) Yeast-Ale [Starter 1250 ml]

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 26.0 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 8.8 EBC Color:

cheers
johnno

Just finished my Anzac Brew.

Droped the ale malt to 3.5 kilo and upped the wheat to 500g.

It went well and the only target i missed was 22 litres in the fermenter instead of 23.

cheers
johnno

Latest posts

Back