Anyone Using Brewfather?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, @Kenf, do you have any pics you can share of the wiring to modify your digiboil?

Looking to do the same for a Craftbeer Pi.

What did you do with the thermal switch? Just disconnect?

Thanks
HB
Actually the mods were quite simple, because it’s a Digiboil the pump is external. So I wired it basically like the Grainfather (but without the thermal cut out). Power lead to the main power switch, twin feeds to the two power switches, seperate feeds to the heaters and finally leads back to the power lead. The complicated bit of course is if you want the switches to glow then you have to run neutral wires to each.
I will see if I can get some photos but it was pretty simple

Just finished my second brew with Brewfather after using BS3. I love being able to link in my Tilt directly to Brewfather.

Looking forward to see how the new recipe library goes. I have already got some inspiration for the next few brews out of it.

Thanks Kenf, got one the other day and have only quickly opened it up for a look.

Yes, at first glance seemed fairly simple but good to be able to validate what I’m planning.

Tbh I’m surprised there isn’t already this info out there (at least that I could find). I already have the controller and pump, so have bought the boiler, malt pipe and other accessories for what should be better than a robobrew at a saving over $150

Thanks Kenf, got one the other day and have only quickly opened it up for a look.

Yes, at first glance seemed fairly simple but good to be able to validate what I’m planning.

Tbh I’m surprised there isn’t already this info out there (at least that I could find). I already have the controller and pump, so have bought the boiler, malt pipe and other accessories for what should be better than a robobrew at a saving over $150
Mate that is exactly what I did (after killing my Grainfather). There actually is a wiring diagram for the Klarstein on the Smartpid website (it’s the Guten in some overseas markets in case you didn’t know) it’s a bit confusing because the wire colours are not correct. But basically that’s what I copied, only difference is my controller is seperate to the boiler.
Also if I want I can run the Digiboil using my Grainfather Connect!
Anyway I’m thinking of wiring in the thermal overload, just in case - so I will get photos but it might not be until latter in the week!
Good luck with it! Cheers

Thanks mate. Will move this to a new thread, didn’t mean to take this off on a tangent.

FWIW, I use Brewfather and it’s awesome... one of the many BS converts

A case in the gitlab board would be great, also inlcude datasheets or URL to them is helpfull.

The digiboil ( with Brewzilla bits) HLT and smartpid

How do you find the smartPID? We have not seen anyone use this with a digiboil as far as I am aware but it would be good to get your opinion on this. Have not had the chance to try the smartPID myself.

How do you find the smartPID? We have not seen anyone use this with a digiboil as far as I am aware but it would be good to get your opinion on this. Have not had the chance to try the smartPID myself.
I've got one in my guten, there's a retro fit kit for these sv brew vessels. The unit works very well. I had trouble keeping my mash temp close to the set point, 2-3c either side, now it's .2-.3c either side.

I like the wifi as well, as my brew area is not near the house and with a quick look at the app on my phone I can see exactly what's going on. Next brew I will have it setup so brewfather can send the mash and boil profile straight to the smart pid. Thomas and Davide have got it working quite well.

Brewfather looks really nice.

My only gripe with it as a Software Developer is that it's not open source :(

In your recipe, go to Edit Equipment, then try adjusting the Mash Volume Limit (Max), and also the Sparge Water Limit. After you do that, go back into your recipe, scroll to the bottom and have a look at the way it changes the volumes in the Water section.

I'm no expert, but see how that goes.
View attachment 114602View attachment 114603

Hey Portsparky do you mind sharing you Little Creatures recipe please?
Cheers!

Brewfather is delivered as a complete service, with access to features being determined by payment of a subscription fee. Presumably the software design is such that the access control is enforced in the back-end. Whether the software is open source or not, the subscription model would still apply and in order to get access to the service, subscribers would still have to pay. The alternative would be to provide your own infrastructure to host the service and that would certainly be more expensive than just paying for the subscription in the first place.

Maybe you're a little confused between free and open source software.
Not really. I like the way you frame it as just a developer wanting to share in the development effort etc. It just happens to be free that way as well though doesn't it so you don't have to pay. End result of the same, you don't have to pay.
"As a software developer I'd like it to be open source " = " As a tight arse I'd rather not pay for the software and reward the hard work of others"

Brewfather is delivered as a complete service, with access to features being determined by payment of a subscription fee. Presumably the software design is such that the access control is enforced in the back-end. Whether the software is open source or not, the subscription model would still apply and in order to get access to the service, subscribers would still have to pay. The alternative would be to provide your own infrastructure to host the service and that would certainly be more expensive than just paying for the subscription in the first place.
Do you currently subscribe to Brewfather?

Back