Anyone here know anything about fridges?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
Hi all, my trusty whirlpool frost free fridge freezer is not doing so well.

freezer works fine, fridge wont get any colder than 16 odd degrees. the dial settings for cold/colder are where they should be. great temps for fermenting a crisp ale, but not so much for a cold beer.

ive noticed that the freezer temp dial has frozen stuck. this leads me to believe that the frost free mechanism is not working, frost is therefore blocking the vent for cold air to travel into the fridge compartment, although im happy to be corrected.

any tips on how to fix this or what else is could be? id rather not pay for a fridge guy to come out if i can do it myself.

cheers.

could be what you reckon

try turning it off and defrosting it for a few hours and then back on again

my food fridge suffers in summer when the humidity is high.
I think the heater strip that defrosts something i stuffed so it freezes up like you describe
fans still work fine

i have to do a manual defrost and it solves the issues of cold air going from freezer -> fridge and it all good again.

Maheel said:
could be what you reckon

try turning it off and defrosting it for a few hours and then back on again

my food fridge suffers in summer when the humidity is high.
I think the heater strip that defrosts something i stuffed so it freezes up like you describe
fans still work fine

i have to do a manual defrost and it solves the issues of cold air going from freezer -> fridge and it all good again.
Thanks Maheel, that was my first instinct as well. Tried that, checked on it again the next day and same thing again.

malt junkie said:
Sounds like a burnt out fan.
cant see where to check it, will see if i can find something on manufacturer website.

Hi Hopsta,picked up a double door fridge/freezer off gumtree freebies 12 months ago(it was going to be ferment temp control fridge)-freezer worked,fridge didn't-pulled the cover off the fridge fan + it was stuck-all it needed was to be free'd up enough to be able to restart itself.Hasn't missed a beat since and its the now our main fridge for kitchen-maybe something simple as that-good luck,Rob

Hopsta said:
cant see where to check it, will see if i can find something on manufacturer website.
mine had a cover and 4 or 6 screws-undid them and access to fan(power off of course)-was going to try either manufacturer or an electrical parts mob,maybe jay car?Rob.

the fan normally only runs when you shut the door...

my fridge has a magnetic switch for the fan with a magnet in the door.
to check it's running i just put a magnet where the switch is and can see / hear it running with door open and all the cover bits pulled out.

giving the fan a clean and spin may fix it

if there is somewhere local where people dump fridges you can often scab a fan out of a dead fridge....

Latest posts

Back