Anyone know anything about Fridges?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve got a Westinghouse WRI24U fridge freezer with frost free mechanism that isn’t working. Anyone know if it’s worth getting someone out to fix it? Trying to use it for a beer fridge but can’t get it any lower than 16c.
Appreciate any advice.

If the freezer is working then it's most likely the fan. It blows freezer air into the fridge part.
My keg fridge cost $25 plus $10 for paint. I've greased the fan twice now to keep it alive.
I also use an upright freezer as a fermenting fridge. It had a mechanical defrost timer which got stuck on defrost.
If I can't fix it myself I'd be inclined to find another cheapy.

A repair guy will most likely want over $100 just to show up.

I had trouble with my fridge. Freezer was working but fridge wasn't getting cold. The thermostat for the defrost heater was had it and was icing up. A new thermostat of eBay and all fixed. Google knows everything.

Agree with Robin, it's most likely the internal fan that' stopped. Very easy to replace if you have any handy skills. I just replaced the one in my Westinghouse upright freezer which is my ferm chamber. Got a replacement fan off eBay for $25
Also, if have more skills you can quite easily remove the frost free timer as they tend to be annoying in ferm chambers. But I would not recommend attempting that unless you know what you are doing as you could also quite easily kill yourself if you wired it incorrectly.

I managed to rewire mine to use a BrewPi to control it and removed the frost free timer. It's awesome!

Latest posts

Back