Anyone Have Experience With These Scales?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=120406674963

Was thinking about picking up a set.

No accuracy is quoted, I find it hard to believe they are accurate to 1g over the whole range (I bet in those pictures theyve recalibrated it with the given weight to show the perfect reading).

Has anyone picked up a set of these and have any comments about them?

They cost significantly more from their normal website http://aunet.com.au/30kg_scales.htm - the pictures are of the old "red LED" model, but it say theyre half price and has a picture of the new model under 'todays specials'.

I got a set of these for my grain. They work good they also run on batterys which i did not know when i bought them. I would not use them for hops of any really small amounts but for the price A1 for you BULK GRAIN BUYS.

Edit: Just had a good look mine where a little bit differnt bought them on Ebay they where only like 40 dollars. 165 plus del seems Way to high....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/30KG-Electronic-Dig...%3A1|240%3A1318

these where more like mine.

they look awesome for the price. I bought scales accurate to .001 of a gram for water additions and they are great(came from China). Id say go for it.

Yep. I own this scale and it's magnificient. Has worked without a hitch for 8+ months, now. Wife uses it for eVilbay stuff, too and I'm not overly concerned she'll damage it in any way (as I was with previous dinky scales).

It is accurate on the low end (yes, I use it with hops) all the way up to several kG in grain.

I went thru 3 nearly useless kitchen scales before stepping up to buy this one. I paid around $90. for mine, so I reckon $59. or whatever it is now, is a bargain. I got it thru the same seller, too.

Highly recommended.

reVox

yeah its about 90 once you throw in postage. I think ill jump on. The gf is a ebay business lady so no doubt she'll find them handy too.

I'll have a go on bidding on the ones lokpikn linked first. Cheers for the link mate, didn't see those ones in my searches.

Now that I think about it, I probably paid the $59 buy it now, and with $28 shipping came to $90.. And that's how I remembered it, as paying $90! So yeah, maybe they haven't come down in price.

Use JBidWatcher and snipe at 6 seconds. Don't bid early as you'll only run up the selling price. I'm sure you know this already if yer lady is an eBay business gal.

reVox

I have these exact sames scales - and like reVox can attest to how good they are.

Have used them for both hops and grain and they work brilliantly... my crappy kitchen scales have been retired to the kitchen - where they belong :D

Definitely a good way to go IMHO.

Brendo

I have a set of these as well,we use them for weighing up Paw Paws.
Very pleased with them.

Batz

I got these scales about a year ago (so they have the red LED) and love them. Not a single complaint.

One thing though. I opted for the 15kg model (slightly more expensive) rather than the 30kg one as their accuracy is a bit better.

yes i've got'em too.. great kit.. however , i do find that with hop additions i need too put a known weight on then add the hops...

def better than kitchen scales , had a few sets of them ...

cheers

Hmm I guess you get what you pay for. Turned up today and the weighing platform is missing one of its locating pins (I think there are meant to be 4, there are only 3).

Also, when the scale just sits there the reading drifts somewhat, I can zero it and walk away, come back a couple minutes later and it might be reading like 10g. zero it again and wait and the same thing happens.

Anyone else getting this kind of thing? They still seem accurate against any other set of scales I could find - as long as a zero right before weighing.

Hmm I guess you get what you pay for. Turned up today and the weighing platform is missing one of its locating pins (I think there are meant to be 4, there are only 3).

Also, when the scale just sits there the reading drifts somewhat, I can zero it and walk away, come back a couple minutes later and it might be reading like 10g. zero it again and wait and the same thing happens.

Anyone else getting this kind of thing? They still seem accurate against any other set of scales I could find - as long as a zero right before weighing.

Mine only had three pins as well... honestly didn't give it a lot of thought as the platform is very stable and hasn't been a problem.

Can't say I noticed any issues with ghost weights if left at zero for several minutes. Will have to check it out when I use it next, but have not had any dramas with it so far.

Could just be a dud... thought about contacting the seller for advice?

Brendo

yeah they offered to inspect it if i sent it back, or a $10 refund and me just keep what I have.

Gotta say, they were accurate enough as long as I zeroed before weighing (I tared it with a measuring jug ontop and filled it with known quantites of water, seem to be within 1-2g each time. I'm thinking I'll just take the $10.

if its only a couple grams out your still laughing.

I bought a similar model. The battery lid was broken when i received it. But it all worked so i sticky tapped the thing up. The battery ended up falling out and ripping all the caling. oh well it stil runs fine on AC power. yeah its probably a bit inaccurate but its good enough for grain and hops for me.

Bummer

I just bought some of these from AusRiver, an EBay seller (same brand & style as in the OP, but black face & red LED's). Also three pins on the platform, and weighs in 10 gram divisons, not 5 gram as claimed. Fortunatly i have jeweller's scales for accurate hop measurement, but anyone wanting to get them for both hops & grain should really be asking the question about the increments.

Overall, for $20 + $20 delivery, I'm still chuffed. They are as accurate as the pro ones at work, having made comparisons using my gym weight-plates as a sample.

Latest posts

Back