9 Litre Corny's 'cheapish?' And Mobile Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks heaps for the positive feedback!

Unfortunately though, this one took so long to build (30hrs) that to make any more just isn't going to happen at a price that any normal beer lover can afford.... I'm sure any subsequent units would be far quicker to make, but i mainly wanted to build myself one in order to get some sheet metal & metalwork skills happening.

Then again, i spent SO much time searching for appropriately sized eskies & drink coolers/dispensers that had i just got stuck into it earlier i could've made 2 by now!

The materials alone cost about $270, plus some extra (pricey!) tools i needed to get to complete it, so again, expensive stuff.

Maybe seeing mine will inspire someone to make an even better item?! I give credit to Ross for his drink cooler based unit inspiring me to come up with something similarly compact, & easy for drunk partygoers to manage! Photos of Ross' unit are on the craftbrewer website on the 90 degree elbow for the sodastream page, if anyone hasn't seen it.

Cheers.

23112011.jpg
Hi folks
My four kegs arrived from Germany today in good condition. Ordered 18/10 arrived today complete with pressure relief valves and the bonus truck :rolleyes:
Taz

View attachment 50335
Hi folks
My four kegs arrived from Germany today in good condition. Ordered 18/10 arrived today complete with pressure relief valves and the bonus truck :rolleyes:
Taz
taztiger,do you have a current email/ebay address? to order from i want to get some more 0l off this bloke
cheers Glenn

G'day Glen
His name is Axel Schmitz. email: [email protected]
I didn't buy through ebay, just sent him an email to get a quote and then paid through paypal to his email address. Had no hassles and very happy with kegs.

cheers
taz

G'day Glen
His name is Axel Schmitz. email: [email protected]
I didn't buy through ebay, just sent him an email to get a quote and then paid through paypal to his email address. Had no hassles and very happy with kegs.

cheers
taz
Beautiful mate ill email him tonight!!

Hi folks
Taz

Can I ask what the final total cost was?

Cost including freight was $339, so about $85 each landed.

cheers
taz

For Christmas I wanted to take both of my 9L kegs on the road. The previous setup I used for a single keg was crap. I mean it looked okay, it was a mini wheelie bin with a proper tap mounted to the front of it. However it wasn't properly insulated so ice didn't last, and the wheels on it were crap and unusable so I had to carry it. It had no handles so carrying it sucked!

Anyway I went looking around today at BCF and Bunnings. BCF had a square shaped Eski on special for $50 which was almost perfect. It was just not high enough. Would fit a 9L keg but not with adapters attached to it!

However I want to Bunnings and sore something a bit outside the square that's actually perfect. I bought two of them.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_produc...eeled_5079.aspx

On sale for $39.

Features:
- Really portable. The wheels and extendible handle mean carting it around couldn't be easier.
- Insulated. Obviously not as much as a proper esky, but way more than just a bin or bucket by itself.
- Perfect size for 9L kegs.
- Some pockets and stuff.
- Cause it zips up, no need for drilling holes, just have gas and beer lines going out a gap in the zip.

I'm gunna just have a bronco tap hanging out the zip basically. Meh, I'm over it looking nice. My home bar looks nice, this just has to be functional.

IMG00097_20111223_1318.jpg
IMG00098_20111223_1318.jpg
IMG00099_20111223_1318.jpg

Nice and compact setup Mark.

Thought Id post mine up aswell as Im just doing the keg transfer ready for the family bash on XMas day.

2011_12_23_12.26.20resized.jpg

2011_12_23_12.26.01resized.jpg

Decided to nick one of my flow restrictors from the main keg fridge as I cant drink beer in 2 places at once. Had to knock up a quick wooden handle from a bit of dowel as the tap doesn't quite hang far enough out to get a hand behind it. It fits an ice block I found from bunnings which is about the size of an A4 piece of paper and about 2cms thick. It will keep it nice and cold for 12hrs as I tested last time and nicely wedges the keg into place.

Was actually at BCF looking for one of those. None there though. Just out of interest, a soda stream + reg wouldn't fit in one of them right? Tried it with a cornie 9L keg?

Was actually at BCF looking for one of those. None there though. Just out of interest, a soda stream + reg wouldn't fit in one of them right? Tried it with a cornie 9L keg?

I think there may be enough room in there for a soda stream and reg as its quite sizy in the front but dont have a soda stream bottle yet to confirm or a spare reg. The keg in the photo is my 9L keg just doesn't have the plastic around the top as the normal ones do (Believe it is a Firestone from what I can work out from the markings)

Looks the goods Mark, nice and easy too.

I have been debating about one of these (or the 98L one) but don't know how black would go absorbing heat. It is made from real strong plastic. I guess I could just get one and if it is no good then it would be great for storing grain.

I did mine much the same as Keifer, my cooler must have been a bit smaller as there's no way the sodastream bottle and reg would fit inside. Instead I made a PVC tube carrier and attached it to the side. To save on the cost of taps, I have a snap lock adapter in the fridge and in the party keg container. Then when I'm out and about I just pinch the tap from the fridge and clip it into the party keg. Little more expensive in fittings perhaps, but at the time taps were ~$85 a piece and the additional adapters didn't add up to that much.

Looks the goods Mark, nice and easy too.

I have been debating about one of these (or the 98L one) but don't know how black would go absorbing heat. It is made from real strong plastic. I guess I could just get one and if it is no good then it would be great for storing grain.

Yeah I was looking at bin solutions as well. I figured you have to insulate them and then ideally you'd want an easier way to carry them as well. The only way to go for 19L kegs. They had some wheelie bins on special except unfortunately they'd only fit one 19L keg and it just didn't make sense in terms of total cost / effort and 'dead space' inside the bin.

Soda stream and reg don't fit. But with a 90deg bend it should.

Cost including freight was $339, so about $85 each landed.

cheers
taz

Hi Guys..... I am keen to get a couple of these 9 ltr cornies but I am sure I would be killed if SWMBO saw me order 4 of these.... I would be able to get 2 approved though... Anyone in the Brisbane area keen to go halves in these? I am OK to pay for the lot and then just collect the cash when they arrive so no issues with trusting some complete stranger with your hard earned! :icon_cheers:

Let me know if your keen.

Camo

After missing out on this, I have been lucky enough to find "kegs" these guys. They have used party kegs for 40 euro which is about $50Aus at the moment (without shipping). I ordered a 340mm high one which only seem to be available second hand (if at all) in Aus for $163.00 new and delivered. While this is not a super fantastic price, it is cheaper than locally and obviously ordering more will only make them cheaper. I will post when it arrives to confirm thay are a reasonable bunch. (No affiliations, etc. Really hope I get my keg!).

Alfie

Back