Anyone Got Any Hints For Bruges Or Amsterdam

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garthus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to set off on a trip to the mother country and in my tradditional style I have decided to not only go to the UK but on the way back to travel via Bruges & Amsterdam.

I have a few places on the roadmap to visit in Bruges to try the local beers which are:

THe Brewery in town:
http://www.halvemaan.be/index.php?id=13&L=2

A Good Pub:
http://www.cafevlissinghe.be

Now I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions?

Also anyone been to Amsterdam and has any suggestions? I am keen to try as many local beers as possible in both :)

Cheers

Gday. Bruges is and awesome old city but the beers and almost everything else there is way over priced. if you travel to some other towns in flanders the beer is cheaper. and if you plan on trying a fair few of the hundreds it will add up.

Hi All,

I am about to set off on a trip to the mother country and in my tradditional style I have decided to not only go to the UK but on the way back to travel via Bruges & Amsterdam.

I have a few places on the roadmap to visit in Bruges to try the local beers which are:

THe Brewery in town:
http://www.halvemaan.be/index.php?id=13&L=2

A Good Pub:
http://www.cafevlissinghe.be

Now I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions?

Also anyone been to Amsterdam and has any suggestions? I am keen to try as many local beers as possible in both :)

Cheers

t'ij in Amsterdam. A tram/walk off the main drag but well worth it. (Although my information is 10 years old). It was only open for part of the day though so check out their website
De Biieaard (spelling?) was a pub with a reasonable range.
Probably more around too now.
Again information could be way out of date but I tried a few different offerings from Grolsch while in Amsterdam so worth popping your head in if you see the sign in a pub on a back street somewhere...
http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/42 has some info...
Can't help with Bruges, only made it to Brussels...

The Greenhouse Effect in Amsterdam. Oh, you were after beer weren't you. In De Wildman has more than enough taps of quality beer to keep you very happy.

Thanks for the tips guys - i will try to report back with what I find :)

This one was on the list - I hear many good things about this place, am getting very excited now about the whole trip! Im so excited im logging onto AHB at KL airport :)

The wonders of modern technology. I should have prefaced my suggestions with the fact the internet was a baby when I was in Amsterdam. For the sake of beer experience, I hope 'In De Wildman' is still open. It was one of Michael Jackson's favourite watering holes.

In Brugge, you ABSOLUTELY MUST go to Gambrinus restaurant/bar. I would fly all the way to Brugge just to go there again, stay there a week & have a permanent dinner booking there every night of the week.

Bookings are essential, & very worthwhile. The fattest beer menu in town (400+ beers), with food to match. And, they quite often sell Westvleteren. I had a Westvleteren 8 with rabbit/prune sauce that went straight to my top 5 of beer/food experiences ever.

Also go to 't Brugs Beertje. a bit tricky to find (if you're a bit drunk), but great beer menu too.

The half moon brewery is worth a visit, but don't expect to be super impressed.

Brugge is nowhere is good as brussels to visit if your having a beer holiday, and weirdly enough good beer pubs are a bit thin on the ground.

I'm sure you'll manage to have fun though...

And brush up on your pronunciation- the locals in Brugge don't appreciate the most common (french) pronunciation, since they all speak flemish and not french.

In De Wildeman‎
Kolksteeg 3
1012 PT Amsterdam
020 6382348
www.indewildeman.nl‎

This pub used to have ( when the SWAMBO lived there 10 years ago ) a good selection of Belgium, German and some American Beers.

Proeflokaal "In 't Aepjen"‎
Zeedijk 1
1012 AN Amsterdam
020 6268401

Great old fashion pub, used to be one of the first brothels / bars in Amsterdam. " In T Aepjen" which even created a Dutch saying " in de aap gelogeerd" which means you are in a bit of trouble... back in the days this brothel used to be full of fleas so if someone saw you scratching they would ask you if you had spend the night in that brothel.
Located near by station, at the beginning of the Red light District but far enough not to have your ugly Pommy in front of you trying to crack on to a prostitute.
These bars are all within walking distance of Centraal Station
As for Bruges its definately worth the trip even if you are paying more,beautiful town and the range of beers well its heaven,there s also a great shop in the old town where you can pick yourself up some Belgian beer glasses
Enjoy your trip
cheers humulus :chug:

You will be a about 30-40k away from Ertvelde, the home of Brouwerij Van Steenberge. If you can possibly, try a Piraat Ale. After my first I couldn't believe it and went back a long time later thinking I must have dreamed up how good it was. I hadn't.

The Gulden Draak is also supposed to be worth trying - haven't tried it though.

Having been in Bruges only a few weeks ago my suggestion is to go to Bruges for a sightseeing tour, should only take a day. Get to Brussels, immerse yourself in all the pubs, stay a week and get to enjoy its gritty nature. Loved it and cant wait to get back there!

Back