Anyone else stupid enough to be up this early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moad

Reaction score
Double brew day so thought I'd get up and get started early.

First brew with my new brew assistant today, she has been running around the brewery sniffing all the new smells and has now retired to bed again. Amazing how much puppies sleep...

Scheduled today is an english mild and a Belgian strong ale. My second belgian as the Tripel was a success.

i'm off to play golf then brew after, been up since 5
happy brewing!

Best time of day. I BIAB normally on a Wednesday, have a timer that comes on at 04:50 so I can start brewing at 05:30

Good luck with the brews.

Nice - I'm just about to start carting water down to the shed. Making a cherry lambic today - got a bunch of cherries from the family that lives in Young. Should be good with the Turkey at Christmas in July.

I'm such an idiot, I measured out my grains last week to save myself some time in the morning.

Started to mash in and realised I hadn't milled them. Luckily I only pured in a handful and it is on the mild so don't mind if I pull up short.

Might just use a bit less sparge water and pull up on volume if need be

Starting so early I won't be drunk enough to mess things up too much!

Edit: cherry lambic sounds tasty, good luck!

So far seems to be doing well. Doing a 38L batch. 9kg of Pilsner and 1.8kg of pale wheat crushed and now mashing. Overshot the temp a bit in the tun but added 1L of cool water to it and it brought it straight down to the 64C I was after.

Mild is boiling away, going to give it a 90 minute boil to bring it closer to estimated OG. Overshot sparge so should come out a few points under but not too worried as it is a lighter ABV beer anyway.

Almost time to mash in on the Belgian.

64, sounds dry but I am guessing the cherries sweeten it up? Don't know much about lambics

Well... it's OG is up around 1.10 so it'll dry out a fair bit but still be reasonably light bodied. The lacto will dry it out even more so yeah it's a very dry, sour cherry beer. I'm also using mahlab in it which is a middle eastern spice made from cherry pips so it should be interesting.

Ive got a 2 yr old who decides what time i start brewing it was 3:30am yesterday morning all brewed and cleaned up by 9 in the morning

i worked from 11-7am, got home around 8. slept until 11:30. its now 12 and im about to brew. ill probably end up brewing my arm, im that out of it.

dont fall asleep mid boil!

Way under target on my Belgian, somehow ended up with 10 litres more in the kettle than intended.

Will add another hour and a half to brew day...

The cherry lambic seems to have gone pretty well. Haven't actually checked my gravity but my volumes were pretty much spot on. Wort smelled amazing with about 1.5kg of cherries boiling away in it.

Now only about 3 months of fermenting and ageing on fresh fruit before I actually get to try it. :party:

its very faux pas

edit-

my brew day was just a K&K that i had left over in the cupboard.. so very manageable for no sleep.

Forgotten how quick K&K is. haha.

Latest posts

Back