• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Anymore Hop Rhizomes For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to Sandy at the Beer Expo on Friday and he mentioned that he'd be digging up his hop rhizomes as soon as he got home (today).
So if you were looking to get some hops from him, you might like to contact him sooner than later.

when should we plant these hops?

when should we plant these hops?
I store my newly-obtained hops in the fridge until spring when I plant them in the garden (or mom will do that for me).
Plant them after the chance of frost has past and as the ground starts getting a bit warmer.
Here in Melb that's around Aug-Sept, earlier frost may get the first few shoots and later than Oct and they may struggle to grow in time.

but what should i do if i can not store them in the fridge can i plant the rhizome in a pot? unfortunately i dont have a dedicated brew fridge and if i put a dirty tree root in to the family fridge and swmbo found it well i would probably be stabbed in the chest with a blunt object, which i would rather avoid if possible. :unsure:

but what should i do if i can not store them in the fridge can i plant the rhizome in a pot? unfortunately i dont have a dedicated brew fridge and if i put a dirty tree root in to the family fridge and swmbo found it well i would probably be stabbed in the chest with a blunt object, which i would rather avoid if possible. :unsure:

plant it. Better in the ground than in the fridge. The only risk in the ground is if it gets too wet it may rot so in a pot without a saucer and that won't be constantly rained on is a good idea.

A hop rhizome should not be a 'dirty tree root', it will usually be washed clean of dirt and packed into a small sealed bag with some wood shavings or peat moss, wrap that in newspaper and then another plastic bag and it will be just like storing any other packaged fruit/veg in your fridge (especially if you store stuff like fresh ginger).

While I do not claim to be an expert, I worry that if you plant them early they may either rot due to over watering (especially if planted in the ground) or shoot too early (especially if in a pot) and then either die back if you have frosts (which may potentially kill the plant) or you will need to keep them covered/protected and potentially upset their growing cycle (since they are very dependent on temperatures and day-sunlight-length).

Thanks for the responses wolfy! I am also wondering why people are selling now?
last year I noticed that people started selling them in September, and I thought that was the time to buy.

Awesome Wolfy, I was just about to ask that question.

For us folks up a bit closer to the equator, can we plant earlier? I've been checking out some Florida hops grower's info (same kinda latitude) and converting the months is doing my head in!

Is it important not to let the fridge dry the rhizome out? Or are they more like potatoes just need to be kept cold?

EDIT: the other question I can't see to find an answer for is are rhizomes okay stored air-tight? Do they need oxygen?

Thanks for the responses wolfy! I am also wondering why people are selling now?
last year I noticed that people started selling them in September, and I thought that was the time to buy.
Most commercial hop-growers harvest their bines by chopping them off at the base and then processing the cones.
Some home-growers do that, but many leave the plant growing and just pick the flowers when they are ready, feeling that this allows the plant to store its reserves and better prepare for the winter.
Whichever way it's done, when the plant dies back as winter starts and it enters dormancy is when it can be dug up - but that also depends on where you live.

I thought it was a little early also, but you may find that various people from various locations sell them from now right through to spring (but I'd suggest it would be best if you could have them planted by September if you can).
Is it important not to let the fridge dry the rhizome out? Or are they more like potatoes just need to be kept cold?

EDIT: the other question I can't see to find an answer for is are rhizomes okay stored air-tight? Do they need oxygen?
If you keep them in the fridge, its best to make sure they are kept damp (but not wet), storing them in a zip-lock bag filled with moist peat would be fine, as would wrapping them in damp sawdust covered with damp newspaper inside a plastic bag or anything similar - I'd not keep them wet or let them dry out.
Usually you can just add a bit of water and shove them in the fridge in whatever medium they are shipped to you in.

Back