Anybody tried the dollar a tin lager from Aldi?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Vietnamese lager for a dollar a tin... this is going to be either good value or the worst thing since Arvo. Anybody taste tested?

It won bronze at the Australian International Beer Awards in 2013, so it must be delicious.

Gfs dad was drinking it. Not the greatest beer in the world but if Ur desperate it would do

I see it came out of the judging next to Hahn Super Dry.

Some of the overseas imports brewed for Australia aren't too bad. I worked through a cube of Tun Bitter 5.0 on my holiday and it's fairly drinkable, very similar to a VB without the mouse piss twang and that was $1.30 a tin.

I bought it for the name (sounds like a working man's drink!) and the price.

It's drinkable but not sessionable

Bribie G said:
... it's fairly drinkable, very similar to a VB without the mouse piss twang and that was $1.30 a tin.
Setting the bar pretty high there, i see.
Don't you do that homebrewing thing occasionally? Seriously though, for that price if it's similar to VB/CD in quality it might be worthwhile in a pinch.

I reckon Hahn SuperDry is a much better lawn-mower beer than VB, or Carlton Cold, Fosters, XXXX, Carlton Draught or any of he other fizzy yellow ones.

What hops would they be using in the Vietnamese Aldi beer?

technobabble66 said:
Setting the bar pretty high there, i see.
Don't you do that homebrewing thing occasionally? Seriously though, for that price if it's similar to VB/CD in quality it might be worthwhile in a pinch.
It's in a green tin with an oval label that your mates at the cricket or in the other boat can't discern at 20 metres so what more do you want.

Actually it doesn't sound that bad really. The way people trash megaswill sometimes seems a bit ridiculous.

Megaswill is to craft beer what an icy pole is to French vanilla ice cream. Just because one is cheap and uncomplicated doesn't mean there isn't a time and a place for both.

I try to live my life in a French Vanilla kinda way but there's way too much manual labour to turn down th icy poles!

There's an aldi near my studio. I'll take one for the team on Saturday if they stock it there.

I've bought 2 slabs of these in the past before I started getting obsessed with this damn home brewing hobby. Note that I bought 2 - I went back for seconds. Also note that I have bought a slab of VB in the past 18 months, Coopers Sparkling, Boag's Draught, various stouts and some Aussie and import craft ales. I'm impartial to many different beers and still believe that each has their place.

Had Carlton Draught devotees try it, weren't fans. For mine, it's as reasonable as any standard lager but has a distinct metallic... 'tang' about it. I haven't made a home brew I wouldn't prefer over it, but when times were tight for me $25/slab is as cheap as beer is going to get.

Put it this way - there are more expensive beers that I would turn down over Rivet. It is in a completely different class to a decent ale. If you don't think you're going to like it, you won't like it.

Not For Horses said:
I bet it's no 333 or Bia Hanoi though.

Actually it probably is. Nevermind.
IMAG0765.jpg

I had this at a viet restaurant not long ago. Typical awful restaurant beer list. Thought I'd try the local drop match to the food and all. Awful just awful. Metallic, hints of mouse, flat, I can't think of many beers I've had that were worse than this.
If rivet is close to 333 I wouldn't go near it.

Life's too short for shit beer.

It's one thing to throw down some mega swill at a pub or the footy etc
when there is no other choice, but I'm certainly not going out of my way to track it down.

I brew two and a half slabs for $20.
Much better value!

I was just reading about Mild Ale last night and apparently the twang comes from beer that has been aged.

Latest posts

Back