Any reason not to use these fittings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie_b

Reaction score
Hi guys, plan is to use these to get cold water into the guten from the kitchen tap. Any reason the brass, rubber, or plastic hose adaptors will give me cancer or some other life threatening affliction with enough use??

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_134945.jpg
    IMG_20200502_134945.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 73
Something even worse -- they might make your beer taste funny!:BTDT:

Go to a caravan suppler and get some drinking water hose and fittings.

haha, good point... and good tip. I'm going to use tubing from the brew store so that part will be ok. And now that I've bought the bastards I'm hoping someone will tell me that I'm good to go! Plus, no caravan suppliers in the area. Maybe the limited contact with the fixtures wont be an issue!?

well dkril, unfortunately you seem to have identified the much more critical issue. Two blind tests with my girlfriend and she's correctly identified the water that came through the fittings both times. Looks like I'm off to the less than local caravan shop!

well dkril, unfortunately you seem to have identified the much more critical issue. Two blind tests with my girlfriend and she's correctly identified the water that came through the fittings both times. Looks like I'm off to the less than local caravan shop!
Bunnings sell drinking water hose, standard hose if new will give up a taste but with age doesn't.
And you won't get any ailments from those fittings, the beer has a better than average chance of giving you a range of diseases, liver, kidney failure or cancer, bladder cancer, the list goes on.

Bunnings sell drinking water hose, standard hose if new will give up a taste but with age doesn't.
And you won't get any ailments from those fittings, the beer has a better than average chance of giving you a range of diseases, liver, kidney failure or cancer, bladder cancer, the list goes on.

smh, I can't believe those non beer drinking folk have got to you weal! but yeah... good point.

The hose I used for the test was one from the brew shop so (I believe) all the flavour is from the fittings in the photo. Maybe I'll give them a soak in some water and see if that alleviates the issue. And also test the hose for flavour...

well dkril, unfortunately you seem to have identified the much more critical issue. Two blind tests with my girlfriend and she's correctly identified the water that came through the fittings both times.
That's the one. Whether or not it will kill you is less of a concern than (having done this in ignorance) drinking the beer you've brewed and thinking, "Actually, Carlton Draught tastes alright.":barf:

The offending hose became a standard garden hose and even now many years later and with many MANY litres of water having passed through it it still gives the water a rank plasticky taste in the very brief contact time it has.

Looks like I'm off to the less than local caravan shop!
Check out delivery costs for a 10/20 metre caravan hose (whichever length you need). Might be cheaper and easier than going to get it yourself.

Correct, but you don't need to use garden hose, which tastes bad, a couple of adaptors and some silicon tube and it's job done, check still spirits for their tap adaptors, they have it pretty much covered.

Correct, but you don't need to use garden hose, which tastes bad, a couple of adaptors and some silicon tube and it's job done, check still spirits for their tap adaptors, they have it pretty much covered.
I don't use garden hose. I use drinking water hose, exactly the same as I use to fill the water tank on my 4WD.

Thinking about it -- I wonder what one of the Ks would charge for a single piece 3/4" BSP -> 1/2" M camlock?

I've got the KL stuff Search results for: 'cam lock' and it's a quarter the price my local produce supplier wants (and he's not a bad guy, rip off merchant) KL stuff is just cheaper and it's good quality, in fairness I haven't looked at KK stuff so check them as well just do your "due diligence" lol

I looked for drinking water hose from bunnings just a few weeks ago and they no longer sell it, it is not even on their website anymore. I have bought one in there in the past.

I bought one from supercheap auto.

I did buy an inline caravan water carbon filter from bunnings though, just uses the normal click on hose fittings to attach

Good thread, very relevant. About to to start all grain brewing and here I am thing how the hell do i get the water from the kitchen tap out to the veranda? Garden tap comes from a dam.... might just get a big bucket.

Good thread, very relevant. About to to start all grain brewing and here I am thing how the hell do i get the water from the kitchen tap out to the veranda? Garden tap comes from a dam.... might just get a big bucket.
Work smarter not harder mate.
Most sink taps, even those swivelly things have a thread, you might need a special tool (new types) to unscrew the fitting but it is there, and pls don't go with hose clamp things. Post a pic and someone will probably (no promises lol) help

at this stage I'm just carrying on with the hose adaptor and using the drinking water tubing bought from the brew shop. It fits into the hose fitting easily enough. And no off flavours coming through after I soaked all the pieces in ABC cleaner for an hour. Might upgrade to a cam lock in time though

Work smarter not harder mate.
Most sink taps, even those swivelly things have a thread, you might need a special tool (new types) to unscrew the fitting but it is there, and pls don't go with hose clamp things. Post a pic and someone will probably (no promises lol) help

and plus one to this. Don't bother going the harder road to save a couple of bucks. You'll end up paying it anyway. Get a good setup, and keep looking for ways to streamline and you'll thank yourself everytime

Hi WEAL, liver, kidney failure or cancer, bladder cancer bad enough but what about the brewer that drowned in a fermenter after fermentation had finished. His widow asked the boss of the brewery if it was a quick death. He replied: "It was a very slow death, he got out fifty times for a pee".

and plus one to this. Don't bother going the harder road to save a couple of bucks. You'll end up paying it anyway. Get a good setup, and keep looking for ways to streamline and you'll thank yourself everytime
Charlie I’m in a similar position to you as my Guten is in a shed in the back yard
I just use a plastic watering can that I got from the local (but expensive) Bunnings. Ok I have to make a couple of trips but it’s cheap and works. I also use the watering can with it’s sprinkles thingy with hot water to sparge. Cost less than $10

Charlie I’m in a similar position to you as my Guten is in a shed in the back yard
I just use a plastic watering can that I got from the local (but expensive) Bunnings. Ok I have to make a couple of trips but it’s cheap and works. I also use the watering can with it’s sprinkles thingy with hot water to sparge. Cost less than $10
I call that working harder :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back