Any Perth Brewers With Access To Plasma Cutter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateostojic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a BIAB system with a 50l keggle.
When i was making the keggle i cut the top out with a 115mm angle grinder.
I could only manage to cut a hole so big (left about a 6cm border) but now i want it bigger.
The reson is i want to start doing double batches and it would be easier to get the bag in and out if the hole was bigger.
The only way i can think of doing this is with a plasma.

Anyone got one?

Keg.JPG

What about cutting the whole top off? It's a bit of a pain because you lose the handles (and ability to carry the pot around easily) and a little bit of volume, but you have a much bigger entry point for the bag? And it can be achieved with your angle grinder!

You could always do this. That way you get the full size opening and still retain the handles.

A plasma cutter is one alternative to achieve this task - another is using an angle grinder and literally grind the remaining material away, followed by smoothing the curve out with several grades of flap sanders. My recommendation if you are considering the later is to use Pferd discs as they offer more flexiability in the disc and appear not to be as brutal as the standard 'bunnings' variety.

I did use this process to widen the opening - it took several sessions to complete the task for 3 kegs!

Cheers

MWS

Hmm, yeah i could just do it as per the video. I like that he kept the handles.
It seems like a good solution.
As for grinding it down, man i dont know. My angle grinder is a cheapo Ozito from bunnings and it toko ages just to smooth out the cut, let alone get through 60mm of stainless all the way around.
I reckon i'll go as per video.

Cheers gents.

Latest posts

Back