Any Issues Spliting 22l Between 2 X 19l Kegs ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShredMaster

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Does anybody see any potential problems or issues splitting my batch of beer (works out to about 22L-ish) between 2 kegs, carbing them and drinking them quickly?

The reason I intend to do this is simple: my batch has been fermenting away quite happily in the corner including the usual singing, dancing krausen presence but this time when the krausen started dissipating back down to a handful of bubbles and flat liquid surface (kinda like a beer-coloured latte) there started growing some bright white (toothpaste) coloured blotches of some bacteria. I'm talking a patch that started in the morning as a 50c coin which then was about the size of a pack of cigarettes by mid-afternoon. Then another couple of toothpaste patches started up and thats when I noticed the dead ants hanging inside my rubber banded glad-wrap lid... :(

I reckon they have added some awesome little bacterial colonies which I didn't quite want but if I'm lucky I can still drink it, it has no odd flavours at this stage. I just racked it to another fermenter and it's in the fridge cold crashing. I'm not too concerned as it will probably be gone in about a week and a half, being refrigerated might hold the bacties at bay enough...

My thought is to get the whole lot into kegs and guzzle away before any wierdness creeps into it. I don't really want to do my usual trick of filling the keg and bottling the leftovers, I reckon if it's bad bacteria then I'll prolly get bottle bombs....

Any thoughts? I'll be doing this anyway unless somebody fills me full of dread and panic at the thought using some good helpful info.

Cheers,
Shred.

Hi all :)

Does anybody see any potential problems or issues splitting my batch of beer (works out to about 22L-ish) between 2 kegs, carbing them and drinking them quickly?

The reason I intend to do this is simple: my batch has been fermenting away quite happily in the corner including the usual singing, dancing krausen presence but this time when the krausen started dissipating back down to a handful of bubbles and flat liquid surface (kinda like a beer-coloured latte) there started growing some bright white (toothpaste) coloured blotches of some bacteria. I'm talking a patch that started in the morning as a 50c coin which then was about the size of a pack of cigarettes by mid-afternoon. Then another couple of toothpaste patches started up and thats when I noticed the dead ants hanging inside my rubber banded glad-wrap lid... :(

I reckon they have added some awesome little bacterial colonies which I didn't quite want but if I'm lucky I can still drink it, it has no odd flavours at this stage. I just racked it to another fermenter and it's in the fridge cold crashing. I'm not too concerned as it will probably be gone in about a week and a half, being refrigerated might hold the bacties at bay enough...

My thought is to get the whole lot into kegs and guzzle away before any wierdness creeps into it. I don't really want to do my usual trick of filling the keg and bottling the leftovers, I reckon if it's bad bacteria then I'll prolly get bottle bombs....

Any thoughts? I'll be doing this anyway unless somebody fills me full of dread and panic at the thought using some good helpful info.

Cheers,

Shred.

I don't think it will kill you. Probably won't give you and street cred either, but you never know till you try. Just be sure to post results!

First half-keg is finished, not bad. Half way through the second half-keg now. It's a little more bitter than I expected but it is still quite drinkable.

Live n learn....

Back