Any Blacksmiths on Board?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
When I was on the Railways I knew a lot of guys who used to take the off-cuts and make mini anvils
You're lucky you never had to hacksaw through a lump of the stuff at the ATC. I got busted going out for a smoke and JB made me stamp my name into the head of it, file it out and then cut off the affected portion by hand. Filing the hard head was way worse than cutting it.

Let me know what you need done. If I haven't got the bar stock I suppose you can send it to me in the mail.

Fat ******* said:
You're lucky you never had to hacksaw through a lump of the stuff at the ATC. I got busted going out for a smoke and JB made me stamp my name into the head of it, file it out and then cut off the affected portion by hand. Filing the hard head was way worse than cutting it.

Let me know what you need done. If I haven't got the bar stock I suppose you can send it to me in the mail.
Ahhggg...the old College Of Knowledge....those insturctors didnt take shit from anyone....I remember when we all lost are afternoon smoke priviledge cause of some fuckwit.....needles to say he was outed within the week..

Any chance you could make some custom disk brake hubs for my old ute to convert it to disk brake.... :ph34r: ...I can get proper CAD drawings done...

Mardoo said:
Does train track work as an anvil for light work?
Yeah you can. But it doesn't have the full horn, nor the hardy tool holder (the square hole in the anvil).
Also you really want that massive inertia to bounce your hammer blows into the hot metal.

I was watching the blacksmith at the medieval fair in Paramatta park the other day, and his mini-anvil was nailed to a log. Every strike, the log was bouncing back in the air.

Think outside the box, like already said having weight or inertia is a big plus but the grandfather used this more then the half size anvil he owned. It's a solid axle out of a truck btw. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407533506.259495.jpg

An axle from a railway carriage is very good as an anvil. Weight is your friend. A heavy stump helps.

I'd say an 'S' set coupler head would be well hard and heavy for the job, and they're headed for scrap :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back