Any Blacksmiths on Board?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Mind if I pick your brains?

I've just competed a 2200km round trip to pick up a 50 year old (but near new) anvil for Mrs *******, who is currently doing the TAFE component of a black smithing apprenticeship.

I'd like to make her a small forge, but as there are as many forge designs as there are brewing systems, I have no idea where to start. I guess I need some suggestions for an Aussie based smithing forum to make a start.

Cheers!

FB

Try some of the blade/knife forums. My forge is a half keg run off an air blower or hair dryer depending how big a job it is.

Good on her.
A true artisan pursuit. Brings back fond memories as a kid bashing bits of red hot steel into bodgy looking spear tips and so on in dads workshop once I learned how to light the oxy. Ah..so many burns..

I can also see potential for the fastest brew kettle in the west in there somewhere.

Start collecting your charcoal now FB.

They are really basic mate. Last one I used was just a foot pump setup pushing through stainless tube into the bottom of a round steel shallow cylinder. I know this doesn't help u without the pic's but really don't need much. I wish I had the time for another hobbie :). I spend lots of time at the steel art sections of the Agriculture Shows just staring at the blacksmithing. I have a small anvil handed down to me, but a real big one I know of also I just can't get my hands on yet.

Give your missus a high 5 for me, that's awesome. All the tafes around here axed all that kind of 'hobbie' type courses.

The local Show here has a Blacksmith group every year just near the front gate

One simple forge is a plough disk filled with charcoal with airfeed feed from the bottom. Plough disks have a hole in the centre and are dish shapped.

You can simply weld legs on to the disk as a stand. They are made of high carbon steel so can handle forge temps ( they also make awsome camping BBQ'S ). If youare in a city area then a disk may be hard to find...in fact I would say impossible

You basically need anything that blows air. Hair drier would be perfect.

Charcoal is not that hard to make.

I will keep an ear out and have a talk to some farmers up here up here, may be able to track one down for you.

That'd be great stu! Thanks for the kind and helpful words everyone!

I've got a little centrifugal electric blower ready to go and a good spot scoped out for a basic shed to house everything. It's a fairly long term project, but hopefully well have it on the go by the end of the year.

There's also lots of awesome new words to use like "Tuyere"!

The forge wont take up much space. Plough disk is about 600mm dia

If I cant find an old one, I will see the local machinery dealer and see what a single disk is worth.

Actually...I might buy a couple and make some camp BBQ out of them...weld some 1" nuts underneath and use long bolts for stands....

DAMN YOU FATBASTARD......I have a new project......apart from finishing my grain mill....

I do some black smithing. Use a gas forge as it makes no smoke. Charcoal burns pretty fast so most blacksmiths use coal.

Tell the missus "Well done".

Unfortunately coal is not readily available, but charcoal can be made easily.....which considering that we are the worlds biggest exporter of coal..

Gas v Charcoal v coal....suppose it depends on how traditional you want to go...

We were looking to go coke. I think she's cracked onto a steady supply of it, but how long it'll be available is anyone's guess. I've actually got a tiny little propane/LPG forge that cost me nothing years ago... But it's well on the small side for what she wants to do. It did me well with my 14lb anvil. Hers is a 160 pounder.

If you need it Stu, I have access to a full machine shop. Would be happy to swap some
Machining for a plough disc forge/BBQ

I did a day-course last year, would really like to do the knife-making course.

I'm waiting for an anvil to cross my path, but it just hasn't happened... they're pretty expensive.,

Ducatiboy stu said:
The local Show here has a Blacksmith group every year just near the front gate
I never seen this, damnit!

Ducatiboy stu said:
I will keep an ear out and have a talk to some farmers up here up here, may be able to track one down for you.

I may be able to help here, but these are becoming as rare as anvil's. Also what you can use is prime mover/Semi Trailer brake drums. Let me know if this suits, deeper but now quite as wide, I can get these things, they also make awsome substitute pot belly stoves.

Although your in sydney FB, we may have to have a shed party for you up here if you can come down and pick some gear up :D

Fat ******* said:
We were looking to go coke. I think she's cracked onto a steady supply of it, but how long it'll be available is anyone's guess. I've actually got a....
Sounds like a line (excuse the pun) from Breaking Bad.

Aussie bushcraft forum I think it is, has a bunch of knife making set ups (and some beautiful knives) so you'd get some easy forge ideas there..

Cheers and like others have said-big ups to Mrs *******!

I did the 8 day axe forging course in Central Sweden, run by the Gränsfors bruks axe forge. I recommend it to anyone. A trip of a lifetime.

On practical matters, if you plan on doing a lot of big work, with forge welds and the like, then a plough disc is probably not going to last long. It's a good start though.

If you live in a built up area, keep in mind that coke and coal stink when they burn. Charcoal or gas may be a better option, but each have their limitations.

Mr Wibble said:
I did a day-course last year, would really like to do the knife-making course.

I'm waiting for an anvil to cross my path, but it just hasn't happened... they're pretty expensive.,
I made an anvil from some heavy duty H iron ideal if you are only going to be beating light material.

Train track is awsome as an anvile. It is super hard due to the action of the wheels rolling on top. But you want to try and get the heavy gauge maine-line rail.

When I was on the Railways I knew a lot of guys who used to take the off-cuts and make mini anvils

Fat ******* said:
If you need it Stu, I have access to a full machine shop. Would be happy to swap some
Machining for a plough disc forge/BBQ
Your going to regret that... :D

Latest posts

Back