dry hop.. or not to dry hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Brains trust, started out playing with a 50 lashes type beer in mind. Using what I had laying around I ended up with the following;

1x Coopers Aussie Pale can
1x BE2
150g Crystal medium grain, cracked and boiled (5l water) for approx 60mins
25g Amarillo @ 30 mins
25g Amarillo @ flame out and steeped for 30mins
Strained everything added to brew container with US-05 yeast (not re-hydrated).
OG was a little low at around 1034 in 23L
Brewing happily at 18deg for the last 5 days and I expect that there's around another maybe 5 days until I reach FG.

Now according to beer designer the hops will be a little low and I've been enjoying some XPA's lately so I think I will have a crack at dry hopping. I still have 50g of Amarillo and was tossing up between the following;
1. making a tea with another 25-30g of Amarillo and adding to brew.
2. throwing 25-30g Amarillo straight into the brew.

What are peoples thoughts on the final result?
Will the pale beer have enough body to carry the extra hops, or am I wasting my time?

Hi Brains trust, started out playing with a 50 lashes type beer in mind. Using what I had laying around I ended up with the following;

1x Coopers Aussie Pale can
1x BE2
150g Crystal medium grain, cracked and boiled (5l water) for approx 60mins
25g Amarillo @ 30 mins
25g Amarillo @ flame out and steeped for 30mins
Strained everything added to brew container with US-05 yeast (not re-hydrated).
OG was a little low at around 1034 in 23L
Brewing happily at 18deg for the last 5 days and I expect that there's around another maybe 5 days until I reach FG.

Now according to beer designer the hops will be a little low and I've been enjoying some XPA's lately so I think I will have a crack at dry hopping. I still have 50g of Amarillo and was tossing up between the following;
1. making a tea with another 25-30g of Amarillo and adding to brew.
2. throwing 25-30g Amarillo straight into the brew.

What are peoples thoughts on the final result?
Will the pale beer have enough body to carry the extra hops, or am I wasting my time?
Give it a try and see I put my dry hops in a tea bag you can buy off eBay, easier to get a clear beer afterwards.

Sounds almost identical to a brew I'm about to do in the morning. You can toss them straight in the FV, as long as you cold crash for a cuppla days to let the debris fall out.

Even if you got nothing from the 150g of Xal you boiled (you will have) your OG would have been much closer to 1.040.
Probably down to your brew not being properly mixed, or the tap being full of water an that diluted your sample.
So you will have a bit more body than you expect. Will probably finish around 1.012 give or take.

Steeping will give more hop taste, dry hopping will give more aroma and the right answer is going to be a matter of personal taste.
I keep telling people I have perfect taste, my taste suits me perfectly
Hard for anyone else to know which you will prefer, something you will have to work out with experience, do a couple of brews dry hop one taste additions in the other see which one you like best.
Mark

Read something recently about coriander and the reason some folk don't like it,(smell puts them off) then I read an article about AIPA's regarding taste and aroma and tasting tests while closing the nostrils.
Followed up on the article which suggested the perception of hops is from the aroma not the taste, looks like they were on the money.
http://www.odotech.com/en/perception-flavor-retronasal-olfaction/

Latest posts

Back