Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

dry hop.. or not to dry hop

Discussion in 'Kits & Extracts' started by muddyriverbrewer, 15/11/19.

1. muddyriverbrewer

Posted 15/11/19
    Hi Brains trust, started out playing with a 50 lashes type beer in mind. Using what I had laying around I ended up with the following;

1x Coopers Aussie Pale can
    1x BE2
    150g Crystal medium grain, cracked and boiled (5l water) for approx 60mins
    25g Amarillo @ 30 mins
    25g Amarillo @ flame out and steeped for 30mins
    Strained everything added to brew container with US-05 yeast (not re-hydrated).
    OG was a little low at around 1034 in 23L
    Brewing happily at 18deg for the last 5 days and I expect that there's around another maybe 5 days until I reach FG.

Now according to beer designer the hops will be a little low and I've been enjoying some XPA's lately so I think I will have a crack at dry hopping. I still have 50g of Amarillo and was tossing up between the following;
    1. making a tea with another 25-30g of Amarillo and adding to brew.
    2. throwing 25-30g Amarillo straight into the brew.

What are peoples thoughts on the final result?
    Will the pale beer have enough body to carry the extra hops, or am I wasting my time?

2. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 15/11/19
    Give it a try and see I put my dry hops in a tea bag you can buy off eBay, easier to get a clear beer afterwards.

DU99 likes this.