Another False Bottom Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m sorry but it’s another false bottom question. I've been struggling to find any suitable perforated stainless mesh that won't cost and arm and a leg.

I have a 150L mash tun and I have cut a full plate to cover the bottom, the plan was to makes cuts all through it and support it about 50mm from the bottom of the tun.

My problems was that to get close to 10% open area it was going to be over 200 cuts with a grinder and cut off wheel, (staggered 40mm cuts to try and maintain some strength).

I've noticed that some guys only have about 16 cuts in their "Yardy" style false bottom. Do you find that wort still drains through ok running a re circulation system?

I made inquiries about getting a FB laser cut and it was $290. Twice the cost of my Mash Tun. :(

My other question is does anyone use stainless mesh, if so what specs?

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

Have you called around any fabrication shops to see if they have some offcuts of perforated sheet that would suit your needs?

I'm running a yardy style in my 100L mash tun. I started with approx 16 cuts, and ended up putting cuts in between to get about 34 cuts on recommendation from here. To be honest I cant tell the difference with the extra cuts. I can run my march 809 with the valves fully open and don't get a stuck mash. Best false bottom ever.

false_bottom_final.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Spork, I have tried and just haven't been able to find anything suitable. Been looking for months.

QldKev, thanks mate, exactly what I was looking for, and maybe even the one I was looking at when quoting 16 cuts.
Time for me to grab my grinder and stop spending hours and hours trying to source something.

Thanks again gents.

Latest posts

Back