Another Brew Shop Closed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you'd like to run a BC store Bribie?!

I ran a LHBS in Maryborough in the late 70s - the most common question being "why isn't my airlock bubbling" believe it or not. :huh:

I think I've done my time in the service of the craft :icon_cheers:

+1for MHB and brew builder top service and excellent postage,I also support my LHBS kirrawee home brew also great service :icon_cheers:

who actually ran a LHBS in the late 1970s at the time that HB was getting a go-on with the first kits on the market.
What a shame I didn't know you were just down the road when I went back to see my dad multiple times a year Bribie? :eek:
All those party years wasted. :p

Back on-topic ----- I doubt that my LHBS at Caloundra will ever fold what with the increasing number of residents in God's Waiting Room who just need a cheap & easy alternative to XXXX, VB, whatever.

TP

What a shame I didn't know you were just down the road when I went back to see my dad multiple times a year Bribie? :eek:
All those party years wasted. :p

Back on-topic ----- I doubt that my LHBS at Caloundra will ever fold what with the increasing number of residents in God's Waiting Room who just need a cheap & easy alternative to XXXX, VB, whatever.

TP

You can't deny that a lot of the LHBS, regardless that they may not stock AG gear, will be a stepping stone to guys doing AG.

+1 the MHB weedy guy. Takes no shit from the mill and knows how to vacuum pack em pellets (just sayin).
And he reckons he's never heard of Zywiec Porter. Go Shaun.

Got to deal with Sim the other w/e at Enogerra. Gotta says he's a bloody legend. Helped me sort out my first AG BIAB and a few other things.
Makes my experience with other local stores seem very weak. Very happy cust. Cheers BC

A certain HBS owner and myself almost came to fisticuffs last time I was in there :lol:
Not one of those mentioned on here tho, and a few years ago before he moved shop further out on northside.
He didn`t mind a drink on a hot day, but one was too many and 40 not enough. It wasn`t a good idea to agitate him when he had a Saturday morning hangover.
No, not a good idea at all. :lol:

These kits come in many styles too...

View attachment 53879
Like the sound of the Beaver Ale... :p

But yes, also a big thumbs up to MHB and Brew Builder. Revolutionising (sp?) AG brewing! Feel priveleged to have such a great resource in Mark and the store so close to home.

Bit different from my LHBS when I was back down in Sydney. Not a bad store, and it does alright business, but very much focused on Kits...AG was difficult down there, and even the shop owners didn't have a great deal of experience with making beer that way.
Whereas MHB, very much pro AG brewer, and really pushes "serious" brewers in the right direction to not only get them into AG, but brew better beer in general. That's what a homebrew shop should be about.

Agreed, these type of people are usually the ones who are on your balls with "can I help you?" in the first place.

Most people like to be acknowledged when they enter a store. You could just as easily criticize someone for ignoring you.
Retail would be an OK job, if only for the %&*wit customers! :p

Most people like to be acknowledged when they enter a store. You could just as easily criticize someone for ignoring you.

i did retail. I hate you *****! i did pizza making and delivieries for 6 years. i hate you *****. Auto parts - GTFO!

Alot of customers just like to be acknowledged. A simple hello is more then enough but if a customer - after you greet them - needs a hand and you walk away is just rude and poor form. Seen it done a many of times. I have walked out of maccas after seeing 4 of them talking for a good 5 minutes. Fuckem if they dont want my money.

ANyway back on topic. Had a beer with Nev. I want his shed!

Well, I normally say hello when I go into a shop.

My comment was about people asking if you need "help", and then not actually helping.

And if it's a small shop I normally say thank you as I leave too. I've never worked in retail but I do have sympathy!

Latest posts

Back