Another 1v recirc build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoopsOz

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,
I built a 3v system a couple of years ago thinking it would improve my beers from my BIAB days, it turns out it didn't. It just meant I had heaps more crap in the garage with a lot more cleaning on brew day. As a result I lost interest and haven't brewed for over a year.

Last week I decided that in order to get out of my funk that I would have to simplify the process. I set about converting things I already had in to a 1v recirc. I have read and then read some more but I still have questions.

So here is the build so far. I've got my old HLT with a 2200watt element.

My 19 litre Big W pot. I've cut the slots but I suspect there isn't going to be enough flow. Should I be cutting more slots or drilling holes? I was trying to maintain some sort of structural integrity, The hole in the middle is for an overflow that I saw on one of the other builds. I've put stainless bolts on the bottom so it stands proud of the element, should they be covered in some silicon tube to prevent an accidental short? What would happen if they did touch the element uninsulated? Is that a catastrophic event or will it just burn it out?

My old mash tun false bottom used as a top filter.

Butchers hooks to lift out the malt pipe. The holes were cut with a chassis punch.....it worked a treat.

Incomplete controller from Lael (running Ard Bir). Not sure which version, it was bought sometime ago and only built last week.

DB1752A6-7770-4217-BA82-8CA9E3713163_zpsughkyfud.jpg

And finally my old pumps. I'm not sure if Lael's controller can drive these 240v pumps so I may have to go to a little brown pump. Any advice?

This is how it sits atm.

One concern is the limited amount of space above my malt pipe. I chose my existing HLT as it already had an element but I do have a taller keg that could be used (my old mash tun), if I was to go down that path I will need to buy another element. Also, with the taller keg, the space between the inner and outer is reduced significantly which I'm led to believe can cause issues.

So far all I have had to purchase was the grinder disk/flapper disk and butchers hooks. I'm pretty keen to keep it as a budget build but will spend the coin if I have to.

Any advice? Am I completely off the mark? Thanks in advance.

Coops

None of the controllers on any part of this site drive a pump or element for that matter. They use a relay ( an electronic switch) the relay used in matho's (laels) controller is rated for 240v. If you so chose, you could use a low rated relay to switch a higher rated relay over say 12v, but either of those pumps will work with the on board relay that came with the kit. Good luck with the build looking good so far.

MB

Do you insert a tube to the centre of the 19L pot for an overflow? I have tried with and with out over flow and prefer without so I can get a good idea on how well the mash is flowing. If it overflows it just goes over the sides of the inner pot and I know I need to free up the mash or slow up the recirc.
I'm no sparky but I wouldn't bother with silicone on the bolts. The element exterior should be a sheath only. Avoid anything toughing it but nothing will short if it does(as long as you don't puncture it).

Yeah, there will be a tube in the centre of the the 19l pot.....it's on the slow boat from China. Thanks for the element advice, I didn't know they were sheathed.

Nice neat setup there that's looking the goods. Keep updating. And yeah, don't bother physically protecting the element. As long as there's a good earth to the element body your home electricity protection will take care of any risks.

Can you wind in the nuts on the bolts a bit to lower the whole malt pipe?

I am a big fan of the LBP and use a PWM controller for mine. Like any pump, give it healthy suction (no air pockets, bit of vertical height, not too many bends, and big tube) and you will be laughing.

Check out Qld Kevs posts and his youtube . He built a similar system to yours and found that the slots in the malt pipe weren't enough so he drilled a crazy amount of holes in between the slots .

I could lower the inner a little bit. I wanted to ensure that I didn't touch the element but I was probably being a little over cautious. Looks like my Friday night will be spent drilling lots of 2mm holes!

Would an 11 Litre malt pipe be ok for single batch brews or would it be too small to contain a typical grain bill?
Just looking at different options that I have available.

From what I've read, the 19L pot is pushing it for a 5kg grain bill. I suspect 11 litres would be too small (assuming the definition of single batch brews is 20 litres or so).

Benn said:
Would an 11 Litre malt pipe be ok for single batch brews or would it be too small to contain a typical grain bill?
Just looking at different options that I have available.
Matho's famous build that started a revolution and exposed his genius in the brewing equipment DIY arena used a 8lt malt pipe.
Look here and read his reply to Hosko:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/57924-braumeister-nextgen-build/page-9#entry828213

The picture that started all the excitement of the BM copies.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/57924-braumeister-nextgen-build/page-7#entry825336

His malt pipe is 7.5lt with filters in place and he got 11.5lt 1.060
:beer:

CoopsOz said:
From what I've read, the 19L pot is pushing it for a 5kg grain bill. I suspect 11 litres would be too small (assuming the definition of single batch brews is 20 litres or so).
QLDKEV clocked a total grainbill of 5.64kg using his bigW malt pipe.... the recording of which is immortalised on youtube! I also spoke to another chap who said he had got 5.75kg in a big w pot.....

Tonight's effort. Still seems to be rigid enough so my fears may have been unwarranted. There is still room for more holes if the flow is insufficient.

I picked up a shelf for $2 from my local tip shop as well. It's not stainless so I might have to hunt down an alternative.

How long do you reckon it took to cut slots and drill? I have the same job to do at some point this weekend. ...

It didn't take as long as I thought it would. The slots are done in less than 10 mins and the holes probably took me half an hour or so. I used a spring loaded centre punch and a new drill bit. Marking it out probably took the longest. I printed out a 20 piece pie chart and taped it to the pot, then it was simply a case of using a centre punch to transfer key points, remove paper and join the dots with a texta.

Looks good! Drilling stainless is a pain but it's not too bad if the holes are only 2-2.5mm.

That BBQ grill thingy, you sure it's not going to bend/flex and tip your malt pipe over? Looks a bit precarious...

Yeah, you are probably right Adr_0. I'll start looking for an alternative.

Cheers for that guys, sorry for dropping in on your thread Coops..

No need for apologies Benn, the more questions asked the more opportunity for the brains trust to chime in.

Latest posts

Back