American IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peterlonz said:
Sugar !!
Guys - since when has any good beer been based on a sugar addition.
Name me one commercial brewer that uses sugar.
The Germans & Belgians don't & never have.
IPA has a tradition & it does not involve sugar.
I know it's been mentioned more than once but where on earth did you get this garbage from?

Please do some reading. I'll grant sugar is not big in German brewing but to suggest Belgians don't use it or that UK brewing history doesn't include sugar is pure falsehood.

Sugar is great in IPAs. Otherwise they finish with high FGs and can be cloying. Even when mashed really low.

waggastew said:
+1 opinion about wheat in IPA. This recipe won the AIPA section at the Nats last year. 1.5kg of Coopers liquid malt extract. It is on the more body end of the scale but not out of style. Notice also the use of 400g of dex to dry it out. Ends at 1016-18 but is nicely balanced

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/40767-what-are-you-brewing-iii/?p=988965
Jordyt01 clearly this is a good dude to be listening to about wheat in IPA's.

Love the old sugar chestnut, sugar is not dirty word. If you keep the Crystals of the world right the way down then the higher finish can be managed.

The reason why I like making this beer in the brewhouse is that it requires good technique to pull it off. I also like that i get to stick more than 12 kgs of dry hops into the tank, hoppy hoppy goodness!

I'm up for samples by the way ...

i did my first ipa brew the other night. i think i made the rookie mistake of adding my first tine of LME while its on the boil and as a result it might of burnt some of it hence seeing few little black flecks bubbling around...
should i tip it out or just leave it and see how it goes? will it make a massive difference?

jaymzica said:
i did my first ipa brew the other night. i think i made the rookie mistake of adding my first tine of LME while its on the boil and as a result it might of burnt some of it hence seeing few little black flecks bubbling around...
should i tip it out or just leave it and see how it goes? will it make a massive difference?
How did it taste going into the fermenter?
I'd hang and just find out, especially if you already pitched the yeast.
Hops can be quite handy in masking some faults, but maybe the burnt flavors (if any) will be to intense.

You'll have beer at the end also!

/// said:
Sarcasm button on, an IPA that finishes at 1.020 is a balanced one!

With the amount of hopping, having a beer that finished at 1.010 will be out of wack. As I eluded, I also do not use alot of crystal, and the Southern Cali versions I had last year did not either, a light dusting is all that is needed. For full grain brewing, munich is used alot as well.

So 50% of your BU's into your boil, 50% from the whirlpool step is the approach. You will get the bitterness if using any hops over 10% aa.

As an example, a light ale I make at 1.041 using topaz and galaxy, I bitter to 8 BU with the whirlpool of 10 minutes and a 45 min run-off gives an additional 17 BU's. I've ran these thru a spectro, so the numbers are right.

I am assuming the wort will be boiled?

Could you elaborate a bit on the system that you did these tests on? was it the commercial setup or a homebrewing setup? What kind of time do leave it in for whirlpool, is it immersion chilled (all chilled at once) or CFC/plate chiller? Most importantly do you suspect much difference?

black_labb said:
Could you elaborate a bit on the system that you did these tests on? was it the commercial setup or a homebrewing setup? What kind of time do leave it in for whirlpool, is it immersion chilled (all chilled at once) or CFC/plate chiller? Most importantly do you suspect much difference?
Yep, on a 1200l, 1800l and 5000l system with a 10 minute whirlpool and a 45 - 55 minute run off via a 2 stage heat ex on all 3 systems. Tests were via a photospectrometer and we've done lots of the testing across our 5 beers to get that data.

For the different times of chilling, regardless of the type of chilling, the key thing is exposure and contact time of the hops to the hot wort. The alphas will continue to burn off regardless.

Did that help?

/// said:
Yep, on a 1200l, 1800l and 5000l system with a 10 minute whirlpool and a 45 - 55 minute run off via a 2 stage heat ex on all 3 systems. Tests were via a photospectrometer and we've done lots of the testing across our 5 beers to get that data.

For the different times of chilling, regardless of the type of chilling, the key thing is exposure and contact time of the hops to the hot wort. The alphas will continue to burn off regardless.

Did that help?
Yes, confirmed my thoughts. Thanks

Latest posts

Back