American IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordyt01

Reaction score
G'day

Fairly new to brewing. Was think of doing an American style IPA. I have done a fair amount of research and used Ian's spreadsheet and come up with this. I would greatly appreciate thoughts/ideas on this. I have read on a few sites to use all DME as less chance for it to carmalize and burn during a small volume boil.

Volume 23 litres

Boil volume 10 Litres

Light DME 2.5kg
Wheat DME 1.0kg
CaraRed 0.60 (steeped)

Centennial 15g @60 mins
Chinook 15g @30 mins
Amarillo 15g @15 mins
Centennial 15g @5 mins
Chinook 15g @5 mins
Amarillo 15g @5 mins

Dry hop with some Amarillo

OG 1.061
FG 1.015

Alc 6.4%

Please be kind it's my first attempt at a recipe. I really enjoy IPA's

All feedback ideas welcome

Thanks in advance!

Sorry IBU is 48.3 is this a bit low for an IPA?

Cheers

Jordy, it's too hard to tell from the recipe what this might come out like. I think you'll need to drop me over a 6-pack once it's done and I'll let you know.....
:icon_drool2:

you would need at least 60IBU to balnce this out I think....

I like to have a GU:BU of 1 for IPA's

Jordyt01 said:
Sorry IBU is 48.3 is this a bit low for an IPA?

Cheers
From the BJCP guidelines, IBUs are fine. (IBUs: 40 – 70)

Those hops will work well together. Should be a nice brew. Make sure you keep tasting notes and then you can work out how you would change it next time.

It does look bloody good to me...from an AABC perspective (as used in Ian's spreadsheet), an AIPA can have 40-60 IBU, so nothing wrong with 48.

To answer a couple of your points, I've used all LME in 10 litre and smaller boils, with no caramelisation/burning issues whatsoever. Just remember to take the pot off the heat when adding your extract, and stir it in really well, before returning to the boil. And only add ~1kg of the DME to your boil initially, dump the rest in towards the very end of the boil.

What yeast are you planning on using?

carniebrew said:
Just remember to take the pot off the heat when adding your extract, and stir it in really well, before returning to the boil. And only add ~1kg of the DME to your boil initially, dump the rest in towards the very end of the boil.

What yeast are you planning on using?
Thanks for the tip!!

I was thinking of using US-05 as I have a packet already. Will that suit it or do you think I use something else?

@carniebrew

I've had US05 down to 14 degrees in (Brisbane) winter. It's very slow, but it will continue to chomp away. I generally set my temprite to 17 degrees for US05, and was always happy with the result.

It's going to be on the sweeter side compared to commercial IPA's you may have tried, not cloyingly sweet but it won't have that dry "bite" many people love in an IPA. If you love bitter IPA's, you are going to need higher IBU and/or less crystal malt, but the recipe as it stands will make a good beer.

I really enjoy IPA's
It's hard to remember my life before IPA's. I mean, I know for a fact I was alive, but ... why? :D

Being extract and finishing around 1.015 I would definitely increase the IBUs to minimum 60 for my palate. I'd personally go for 65 or 70. It is a %6.4 beer so you need to know you are drinking something special.

48 IBUs in a beer made with 2.5kg DME (and then 600gms of carared) as the base and finishing at 1.015 won't taste particularly 'bitter'. Part of the charm of an AIPA is the resinous mouthfeel from all the hops, so - again, if it were me - I'd scrap the 30 minute addition and bump up the late (15 - 5 min) additions to bring your bitterness up and see how that works for you. This will give you the flavour and aroma kick, the resinous goodness and also increase the bitterness to a level that will suit this beer (guidelines are great, but experience tells us that things like ingredients and FG make a difference on the perception of bitterness).

Just my 2c.

2c well spent I reckon. Jordy it might well be worth dropping down your batch size (and thereby your extract) for your first IPA....if you go with Lecterfan's suggestion and up it to ~60 IBU, along with it being 6.4%....it's not exactly a session beer, rather something enjoyed occasionally. Give some thought to doing say a 15 or 16 litre batch, and adjust your future IPA recipes according to how easy or hard you find your first one to enjoy.

~60 IBU, along with it being 6.4%....it's not exactly a session beer
Says who? Just might be a shorter session with greater consequences next morning. :D

Jordyt01, you might want to consider using some sugar in your recipe to dry it out a little. With all your crystal grain and wheat malt, you shouldn't have any problem with a thin body in your brew (and an IPA shouldn't really have a chewy mouthfeel anyway).

If I was brewing your recipe, I would cut out 300g of light DME and add 250g of sugar instead, the final product will be less sticky/sweet with the same ~6.4% ABV.

Sugar !!
Guys - since when has any good beer been based on a sugar addition.
Name me one commercial brewer that uses sugar.
The Germans & Belgians don't & never have.
IPA has a tradition & it does not involve sugar.

peterlonz said:
Sugar !!
Nearly all belgian beers have sugar ( dubbels/tripels etc), some up @ 22%

since when has any good beer been based on a sugar addition.
In the event you're not trolling, here's a random example: Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company - 5% dextrose and one of the most famous IPA's in the world.

Obviously I don't have a comprehensive list of commercial recipes on hand, given most of them aren't released to the public, but many homebrewers use a portion of dextrose/sucrose in beers intended to be very dry (IPA's, pale ales, etc), usually around 5% of the bill. Go on Google and search around.

The whole "sugar ruins beer" thing is an absolute myth, unless it's 90% of your fermentables or something. In the case of my recommendation in this specific case, the small addition addition of dextrose I recommended will knock a few points off the final gravity and help offset the sweetness of the large quantity of crystal malt and the "sweetness" of extract in general. Travesty, yeah?

Belgians don't & never have.
Seriously? No sugar in Belgian beer? **** me sideways.

peterlonz said:
Sugar !!
In reading the well researched IPA book recently (by Mitch Steele - Stone Brewing Company - Still reading) IPA's most certainly did at one point.. Oh my yes... most certainly.. ed: Tax related as I remember

many still do to help get a drier finish.. oh my yes.. For my bigger beers, ~1070 I like to feed them a little bit as they approach 1020 to help them along a bit... does wonders to help them get those last 5 points and mop up.. Id like you to be able to pick any sugar..

Thanks everyone for the feedback it's greatly appreciated!

I will have a fiddle around tomorrow with the recipe and let you all know what I end up going with.

I never thought of adding a small amount of sugar/dextrose so thanks for that idea!

Cheers

May have made an IPA or 2 in my time, with some silverware for the efforts at the Beer Awards.

7%, 70 BU is the standard. Last time I was at White Labs they commented how they ran 50 IA's thru the lab and 49 of them were in that range.

I'd cut out all those additions, at them all at the whirlpool. With that, bitter to about 50% of your target BU, dump in about 3-4 gms a litre at whirlpool (will get flavour and the remaining bitterness) and then dry hop to about the same amount.The late hops will give you approx 50% bitterness at those amounts. I have tested it in a spectrophotomer and the results reflect this.

With a high temp mash mine finishes off at about 1.018-1.020, with a small smattering of crystal. Using extract, just use 100% malt extract.

Hi Jordy. Cheers for the thread. I'm a new brewer looking to make an AIPA for my next brew too. The advice you've drawn is really helpful to me too, so I thought I might hijack the thread a touch. I was planning a Cascade SHIPA, or possibly might stick with the Summer I've already got (and get some more of it).
23 L batch, 10 L boil.

3kg Coopers Light LME
1.5kg Briess Munich LME
0.3kg Candi Sugar - Amber
40g Cascade 6.4% 60mins - 24IBU
50g Cascade 6.4% 20mins - 18IBU
50g Cascade 6.4% 10mins - 11IBU
40g Cascade 6.4% 0mins
10g Brewbrite
US-05 @ 18-20C

OG - 1.057, FG 1.013
ABV 5.9%

Based on the advice on this thread I'm thinking swap the candi sugar for sugar? I was thinking candi sugar partly for the colour and partly because a lot of the AIPAs I've had from the US do seem to have a real sweetness to the malt to back up the bitterness. Granted those have been some out there ones with probably more late hopping and more IBUs in general. Further advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Drew

Back