Chinook SMASH 23L

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobSnoo

Reaction score
This is going down soon...

3kg Dark DME

250g Caraamber steeped @75°C for 30 mins (yeah I know this means it isn't a SMASH [emoji848])

15g Chinook @ 60
15g Chinook @ 15
15g Chinook @ 10
5g Chinook @ 5
5g Chinook @ 0

This will be a 3 litre steep, with an additional 3 litre 75°C spare to make up a 6 litre boil.

Using US-05 at 18°C for 10 days, 22°C for 4 days.

I'll be doing something like this myself.

But I'll cold steep the caraamber o/night and strain it directly into the fermenter. And you must really love the Dark DME. I'm not as hardcore and will probably use about a tenth of that, making up the rest with Light LME.

I'm used to brewing all-grain so I checked out the DME equivalent in AG terms and got this...
54% Munich 10 L
30% 2 Row Malted Barley
13% Caramel 60 L
3% Black Patent

You're adding the caraamber, so it's going to bring the caramalt to about 17% so unfermentables will give it a med-high sweetness. I reckon it will turn out like a super-malty porter at about 4% alcohol. Hope that's what you're looking for.

I would drink the sh*t out of that.

Hahaha oh I didn't figure on that....but it will be very interesting if it does. I'll send you a bottle when it's done it's thing.

I would drink the sh*t out of that.

Would you still drink this? I put this down yesterday.....

3kg Dark Dry Malt Extract
250g Caraamber
200g Carapils
200g Crystal

20 mins
Northdown 25g
Chinook 10g

15 mins
Chinook 10g

10 mins
Northdown 25g
Chinook 10g

5 mins
Northdown 25g
Chinook 10g

0 mins
Chinook 10 mins

Using Danstar London ESB at 18°C for 7 days then 22°C for 7 days. Tossing up a 50g dry hop of Northdown on day 7.........your thoughts?

With that amount of late hops, it looks like you're going for an ale with a big hop aroma. I would definitely do the dry hop. I've never used Northdown before and sounds like a really nice flavour profile. Use 100g if you have it. If you like the idea of snorting lines of hop hash, use 150g.

I add them with 3 days before bottling/kegging (no more than 4) as I find it can go a bit grassy/vegetal for more than that. Also, dry hopping needs fresh hops. If it's more than 6 months since breaking the vac seal, use the hops in the boil.

Did you taste it going into the fermenter? Taste alright? Give us an update once it's done.

Use 100g if you have it. If you like the idea of snorting lines of hop hash, use 150g.

I didn't taste it going in but I'll taste it in the morning. I have 100g of Northdown which I'll take your advice and throw in 2-3 days before bottling. Should be an interesting experiment.

Latest posts

Back