Amarillo Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like Amarillo ?

• Yes - Bittering

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Flavour

• Yes -Aroma

• No , I don't like it

• Total voters
Amarillo is off my list. I just don't like it. I don't like how it reminds me of Sauvignon Blanc in white wine, which I also don't like.
One of my first AG brews was an Amarillo Pale Ale. I couldn't bring myself to drink it for about 6 months until the hops faded.

I love APAs, but give me Magnum, Northern Brewer, Chinook, and Cascade. They'll do me nicely.

There are better examples of amarillo in a commercial beer than JSGA. If you can find it, Rogue's Yellow Snow is an absolute pearl of a beer that shows just what can be done with only this one hop. It's a hard beer to come by here, but not impossible.

I have found a beer called "Mikkeller Single Hop Amarillo IPA" at the horrific price of $10 for a 330ml stubbie. I am going to buy (only 1) tonight and might buy a Kooinda Pale Ale as well. The Rogue Yellow Snow is $15 for a 650ml so if I feel really rich I might add one of these.

That's about $30 for 2 stubbies and a 650ml. No wonder I am trying to brew this myself.

Amarillo is off my list. I just don't like it. I don't like how it reminds me of Sauvignon Blanc in white wine, which I also don't like.
One of my first AG brews was an Amarillo Pale Ale. I couldn't bring myself to drink it for about 6 months until the hops faded.

I love APAs, but give me Magnum, Northern Brewer, Chinook, and Cascade. They'll do me nicely.

Amarillo APA was one of my first as well and it was certainly better with a bit of age on it than early on. I quite like the Amarillo flavour but it is better blended in my view or well aged, great to bitter with though. Smooth.

Would take Amarillo over cascade any day but would leave both in favour of subtle columbus

I'm pretty sure both kooinda and beechworth pale use it in conjunction with other hops.

According to Trav from Kooinda Brewing on this linky dink here:
See post #15 from Trav

Early Kooi used just Cascade & Galaxy, and is now more 'floral' (Amarillo?).
Brew a pale ale/american IPA with these 3 hops and you'll wind up with something yummo.

A big whopping fruit basket in the mouth. :icon_drunk:

Hopper.

i can guarantee you we dont use any amarillo in the kooinda pale ale.

Hey Fents,

If I buy some of your Kooinda Pale Ale stubbies tonight from Slowbeer and I like them - will you give me some hints as to what type of Hops you use ???

Digger

sure thing. have a crack at a guess though its not too hard to work out. make sure you drink it from a wide mouth glass though, have a really good sniff and taste and i reckon you will guess pretty easy.

I'm a big fan of Amarillo when used in the right quantities. Got an APA with Cascade, Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin on tap right now and I'm bloody loving it! :wub:

Drank Mikkeller Amarillo Single Hop at the Wheaty the other night (on tap) and not that pleasant. I hanker for resinous hop flavour and high bitterness which this beer had but the flavour was not the tastiest.
The Simcoe version was far better.

tdh

Cant beat an APA brewed with a combo of Amarillo,williamette, cascade and chinook!

+1 :wub:

One of my all time favourite US hops.

Perhaps you need brewing lessons from Townsville (aka GLS) to get the best out of them?... :ph34r: :lol:

Don't mind the stuff.
I had a period where I overused the stuff, and got over it.
Tends to go alright with other American C hops, but I find anything dry hopped with the stuff stinks of grass, which i'm not a fan of.
It's in the same boat as Cascade as far as i'm concerned...nice flavour, but there are plenty of other better hops out there, and most are better value.

i get passionfruit too. overused it when it first came on the market, was hopping everything with it and now im over it.

citra is the one for me now.

Totally agreed, just trying to be wary of not overdoing citra the way I did with amarillo.
Blending with Chinook this weekend, alongside a nice American dark lager just for balance :chug:

I do a nice amber that is bittered and flavored with EKG, then a modest amount of Amarillo at flame out. It makes a very pleasant beer, I've tried several of the C hops but prefer Amarillo. It's not overwhelming but you know it's there, use sparingly and you'll be rewarded.

Batz

I do a nice amber that is bittered and flavored with EKG, then a modest amount of Amarillo at flame out.
Batz

Sounds like the hop regieme for Rogues American Amber. :icon_chickcheers:

I justput down a beer using amerillo, motueka, cascade and hallertau aroma...............hopefully it'll be alright, 1st time using amerillo.
aroma and flavour so far.............. passionfruit for sure.

Totally agreed, just trying to be wary of not overdoing citra the way I did with amarillo.
Blending with Chinook this weekend, alongside a nice American dark lager just for balance :chug:

O-oh! just made an all amarillo APA to 30IBU. Damn!I had some other C-hops too.
Fingers crossed now.
Daz

Top hop!!!!!!! :super: :beerbang: :icon_cheers: :icon_drunk:

I'll be able to answer this pole soon as I will keg my first solo brew tomorrow. Solo as in I designed it myself and added 10g Amarillo with 10 minutes left and 10 g at flame out. I also had 15 g of cascade at 20 min so not all Amarillo. It might be slightly bitter though as I didn't have a decent chilling option. Learnt about chiling and hops after I did it. Ah its all fun learing. I chose the Amarillo as I saw a fair number of recipies using it and liking it. I'll give it a week to carb up and get back. My next one tomorrow is a stella clone, first lager so more learning.
Watch this space

i can guarantee you we dont use any amarillo in the kooinda pale ale.

Good to know. It was just my perception on tasting it so now I'll have to taste some more.

I suppose that's not such a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back