Amarillo Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like Amarillo ?

• Yes - Bittering

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Flavour

• Yes -Aroma

• No , I don't like it

• Total voters

Digger11

Reaction score
From a good reading of these forums it appears that Amarillo is one of the favourite Hops.

I have done 2 brews with Amarillo and poured one out and could hardly drink the other.

So I'm guessing it is just me who doesn't like it ?

I really liked it when I first started brewing, still do, but I'm more interested in other hops now.

Got a bit excited with it for a while, so have decided to try a different hop with each brew.

Gotta admit, I'm a cascade fan myself. But Amarillo does smell nice.

I really liked it when I first started brewing, still do, but I'm more interested in other hops now.

Got a bit excited with it for a while, so have decided to try a different hop with each brew.
+1 I did a few Amarillo's early on. Now i try and mix it up a bit and extend my selection of beers to tother than what i always used to grab at the bottlo. Saying that I still have an Amarillo on tap now and it's an easy drinker and crowd favourite.

Depends what you put it in. For PAs that smell like a skanky whore it's perfect. :icon_drunk:

I've done an AIPA with only Amarillo. One hop addition only, 8.7 grams per litre. Aroma and flavour was huge. One beer I will be making again!

IMO it's one of those hops that really need to be super fresh. I loved it so much when I first tried it that I bought a 450g pack, the last 150 odd grams were no where near as good as when I first bought it. Now, I still love it but I only buy 80-90g at a time and I've started doing a 50/50 mix of Amarillo/Centenial as I've found I prefer the flavour that gives. But I'll vote yes for flavour & aroma

I still can't decide whether I like it or not to be honest.

i definatly dont like it. im a big fan of us hops but theres something bout this one i just cant stand.

I love amarillo. It goes beautifully with Centennial or Cascade hops. But as mentioned earlier freshness is a key to how good it tastes.

amarillo is a great hop for flavor and aroma in apas but it is best in small doses along with cascade and centenial.

I like it. Goes great on its own and with centennial and chinook. Goes great in brown and pale. However I think you can overdo it if you just use it by itself. I have an american brown recipe I'm tweaking (my first AG recipe which tasted superb but due to disaster and subsequent blending, I've never been able to replicate it). I have got some slightly unwelcome flavours in some attempts due to overuse in the flavouring additions.

I reckon there's a place for every hop if it's good quality but they can't all be used the same way.

Having said that, (I voted I like the flavor and aroma) I'm doing a multi step Amarillo smash this weekend, just to see what it can do for me all on it's own, seeing as I've usually bittered with a variety of high alpha A hops (10%plus AA).....

Edit: clarity.

I've got an all Amarillo APA that smells like delicious candy that I could eat with a spoon. I only carbed it up recently so maybe the flavours will change when i test it tonight.

Well that's amazing,

I'd close the poll after only 90 minutes (if I knew how!) as it is clear that Amarillo is clearly a favourite for flavour and aroma, and even pretty good for bittering.

These results will lead me to have another crack at using it - I might try another Dr Smurto's with maybe 50-70% as much Amarillo, this should give me a feel for a more lightly hopped beer.
The last time I used it, it was all freshly bought from G&G and brewed the same day.

I am doing a US-05 v Kit Yeast experiment at the moment (identical ingredients, only the yeast varies in side by side fermentors) - so when that is bottled in about 3 weeks, I'll have another shot at an Amarillo recipe.

Have you had any commercial versions that used it that you like? JS golden ale is one but from last tasting, I'm pretty sure both kooinda and beechworth pale use it in conjunction with other hops.

I'm in- Love Amarillo!!!

Nice aroma, flavour & goes really well with Sazz if you get the quantities right!!!

A poll like this for all hop varieties would be very helpful, thanks Digger 11

Cant beat an APA brewed with a combo of Amarillo,williamette, cascade and chinook!

A poll like this for all hop varieties would be very helpful, thanks Digger 11

You'll find quite a few in the Flavour of the Week forum. There's Citra, Fuggle, Pacific Hallertau.... :)

Latest posts

Back