Am I Going To Make Bomb?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior06

Reaction score
Hey there guys, picked up some bottles that need a good clean...

what i have is some bleach and sodium hydroxide(draino) i was just going to make up a mixture of the two and soak bottles in the esky... thought i'd check first since chemistry was the only subject i failed at uni...

will this clean the bottles, there's a bit of dirt inside the bottles as well as out...

cheers
andr

lose the draino.....

run down to woolies and grab a home brand "unscented" nappy wash(Sodium percarbonate) at $3 you cant go wrong or burn the everlovin out of everything in sight as you might with the draino.

A teaspoon to the litre(longneck) and a day or two soak and the murk will all be gone....

The nappy wash is also great for removing the "ring of confidence" off the primary fermenter.

junior06 said:
Hey there guys, picked up some bottles that need a good clean...

what i have is some bleach and sodium hydroxide(draino) i was just going to make up a mixture of the two and soak bottles in the esky... thought i'd check first since chemistry was the only subject i failed at uni...

will this clean the bottles, there's a bit of dirt inside the bottles as well as out...

cheers
andr
[post="99733"][/post]​

Junior

All I did when I bought 40 cartons of old return crown seals was soak about 20ml of undiluted bleach overnight and then give a good spray out with a jet of water. Then filled with diluted bleach and left untill I could be bothered then cleaned with a bottle brush. Some of the bottles were pretty manky but I didn't get any infections .

Hope this helps

Regards Derrick

I think you should give them a once only good wash with the bottle brush & detergent, then give them a sanitizing rinse which will also kill the detergent used for cleaning.

For the sanitizing use sodium metabisulphate, iodophor, sanitize, bleach, nappy wash or anything else you might prefer that works.

With DickTed on this, elbow grease and bottle brush to remove grunge then sanitise. Bit of hard work saves infections. Remember "the harder you work, the luckier you get".

Must say I'm not with DickTed on the sodium met, all the others are good though.

junior you are right on the money at least with the way i do things I get a couple of 60 to 120L plastic tubs put 2L to 3L of bleach in fill with water and fill with bottles let sit for a week or so and the bottles come out sterile just need a good rinse with water (i actually use a product called killdet(non rinse light steraliser) on a 30 bottle, bottle washer) never had a problem. And by soaking the bottles in bleach for a week or so all the lables all but fall off the bottles.

Cheers
Dirk

dickTed said:
For the sanitizing use sodium metabisulphate, iodophor, sanitize, bleach, nappy wash or anything else you might prefer that works.
[post="99760"][/post]​
FWIW I wouldn't have sodium met and nappy wash in my list of favourite sanitisers. I would consider nappy wash for cleaning (of course only if I didn't have 100% sodium percarbonate handy).

Crazy said:
Some of the bottles were pretty manky but I didn't get any infections.

Are you saying you filled with crud still inside your bottles? If so, your name is appropriate!

I find sodium percarbonate in all its forms (pure/nappy wash with enzymes/nappy wash without enzymes etc.) to be the most fantastic cleaner I've ever come across. You should see how it cleans up coffee stains on cappuccino machine parts.

Back