• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aluminium Pots - Brand New

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will get the details to you Johnno. Bet they have a Melb branch!

JM

i do know of a place were for 80 dollars u can can get a fine heavy duty 60 litre ali pot @ woodroffe equipment on cavan road gepps cross a

I heard somewhere that Aluminium is not very good to brew in as it releases toxins in the water which are bad for you :angry: . Is this true ? :rolleyes:

nope ali is fine have a look on http://www/howtobrew.com and look in the metalugy section and talks about ali ali has a protective oxycide as i know it but read the htb as palmer is a metalugist by trade

chiefman said:
I heard somewhere that Aluminium is not very good to brew in as it releases toxins in the water which are bad for you :angry: . Is this true ? :rolleyes:
[post="46436"][/post]​

You have heard?

Where -- Scientific data? --- old wives tale --- newt over back fence?

A good thing about ignorance is the ability for anyone to drink deeply for the pool of collective misinformation and become an expert by regurgitation.

To answer your question chiefman -- no there is nothing wrong with Aluminium to brew with once you season the pot. And that is a very simple 10 minute operation. Don't do the scrub till it shines trick or you will need to re passivate the pot again.

It is a personal choice how you choose to boil your wort or heat your sparge water.

Darren has pointed out a source of legal kegs and this is excellent if you want SS.

There are a large number of internet experts regarding many aspects of brewing but in reality very few who have the slightest clue.

I am happy to offer help or suggestions regarding kettle, mash tun or HLT, PM me and I will happily try to answer your query from my own experience with a full Aluminium set up. Well apart from a SS stand.

Steve

Maybe you could ask chiller, but I think he has forgotten the answer.

Seriously, there have been many links about the use of aluminium and the development of alchzeimers. This is based on alchzeimer sufferers having excess aluminium ions in the brain, but, is this due to excess consumption of aluminium or, a fault in the bodylowing excess aluminium into the cranium through the brain membrane. Is it a sympton or is it a cause?

There are many many aluminium suacepans out there, if using them was the absolute cause, we would all be suffering.

Do some googling, you may come up with more complex and complete answers.

Aluminium is also commonly used in deodorants. There's currently no proof Aluminium ingestion from pots/pans/deodorants etc is an aetiological factor in Alzheimer's Dz.; just as there's no proof mercury in dental amalgam creates ill-health.

There's a very small body of people with a loud voice drumming up rubbish.

All of the problems with aluminium seem to be related to scratching the protective oxide layer that forms over the aluminium. As long as you don't scratch it (ie. with a metal scourer) very little aluminium will leach out. This is why so much negative press is around - when used in the kitchen with metal spoos stirring and scratching, and pot scrubbers etc, the oxide layer never gets to form.

Palmer quotes it as less than half (or a 1/4 or something like that) of an antacid tablet's worth of alum or something like that if maintained correctly per brew

As previously said. Read the data from a reputable (someone u trust) source and form your own opinions.

And if you are really concerned about it do a Google (no affiliation) I found this in 4 mins
The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made, at least at present
More here at the Alzheimer's Society Information. Sorry to get so off track. :blink: Hope this helps

Most people dont seem to concerned about using an industrial fire extinguisher as a CO2 bottle. This is way worse than using an aluminium cooking pot for brewing!

Tim said:
Most people dont seem to concerned about using an industrial fire extinguisher as a CO2 bottle. This is way worse than using an aluminium cooking pot for brewing!
[post="46743"][/post]​

Is it? Why?

simple. an aluminium pot is designed with boiling soups and other foodstuffs in mind. Thus boiling wort is still along the same lines as cooking a soup (ie the intended purpose). a fire extinguisher is designed for putting out fires, not gassing beer. Sure you can use it as a CO2 bottle, but you cannot guarentee it is food grade CO2, and is safe for you.

Yeah,
Until anone gets any REAL proof about aluminium, I wouldnt worry about using one. Restaurants everywhere use them and they are in high usage in households everywhere. Maybe have a look in the kitchen of your favourite eating place next time and see how much aliminium is in there.

cheers
johnno

Tim said:
a fire extinguisher is designed for putting out fires, not gassing beer.

Phew! I'm safe, cos when I get home from work I have a BURNING thirst for beer, and my extinguisher propelled ales and lagers seem to put out the fire. However I make sure that the fire is completely out by dowsing the smouldering embers of my thirst with a second or third pint.

Cheers
MAH

Well I bit the bullet and purchased the 60 litre ally pot.
Here it is burning it in on the nasa burner. You can see all the paint thats come of the burner on the ground.
I hope after a few years I remember why I purchased it. :lol: :lol:

cheers
johnno

kettle.JPG

i work in the aluminium industry.but i forgot the question :D :huh:

johnno said:

Looks great Johnno. Where'd you end up getting it from?

Took Jazmans advice.

Woodroffe Equipment sell 60 litre aluminium pots for $95.00 + GST.

C&B
TDA

While we are showing pots.

50 SS cost me around $45

Kongs on William St in Perth

I haven't got myself a proper burner yet so I use the old portable round BBQ.

pot.JPG

NRB said:
johnno said:

Looks great Johnno. Where'd you end up getting it from?
[post="47094"][/post]​

Just saw this NRB.
Got it from
Made For U Cook Gear Pty Ltd

505 - 513 Hoddle St Clifton Hill VIC 3068
ph: (03) 9482 3022 Catering Equipment, Supplies &/or Service
Paid $98 then I think.
These are about $103 now.
No affiliation etc.

johnno

Latest posts

Back