98l (or Other) Stainless Steel Pot Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Philski

Can you please pm the details of the supplier to me? I am thinking of starting another bulk buy, wonder if it will be cheaper to get them shipped to Brisbane???

Cheers Ben

I'd jump on the next bulk buy for sure. Melbourne though.

Guys, be aware you will probably find there will be some fairly significant fees on these. There will be port charges, AQIS fees, Unpack costs etc etc.

GST limit includes freight so likely you will be paying GST, possibly also Duty but can't be bothered looking it up at the moment, a broker is likely to charge over $200 for the Customs work. When I used to do this sort of stuff for a one off customer it was cheap if it came to less than $400.

Guys, be aware you will probably find there will be some fairly significant fees on these. There will be port charges, AQIS fees, Unpack costs etc etc.

GST limit includes freight so likely you will be paying GST, possibly also Duty but can't be bothered looking it up at the moment, a broker is likely to charge over $200 for the Customs work. When I used to do this sort of stuff for a one off customer it was cheap if it came to less than $400.

Customs site states that freight from 'land of export' is not included in the value any freight incurred in Aus is a different matter.

I assume this thread will end up teaching people that the cost of something @ FOB has nothing to do with the actual cost, there is so much more to it than that..

Anyway, I sincerely hope that this buy works out well and you are not all stung by the duty bee... Maybe it will be a great buy! I sincerely hope so.. :icon_cheers:

But I am sure, that it is clear why retailers charge what that charge, in particular offering warranty and support...

2c

Actually about 5c.

The customs site specifically says "Duty, GST and other taxes are calculated and payable when you make an import declaration for goods that have a value above A$1000", as in the value of the goods, not including freight. And if it was above GST is only paid on the value of the goods. There are examples on the customs site that show this.

You can also lodge your own Self Assessed Clearance Declaration if the freight forwarder does not, and to do so you need a digital certificate which is around $130 or so, OR you can get a broker to do it for $200 or so I guess. We are aware of this cost if we are required to pay it. Split between 8 people or whatever it is the cost shouldn't be much.

The customs clearance is only one issue. Possibly one of the cheaper ones.
If coming by post and less than 1000aud including freight then they let it go and usually over the $1000 as it is a lot of hassle.
Coming with a freight company expect to be slugged big time. GST=value of goods, plus duty, plus overseas freight and insurance. To put it simply.
I am not out to bag you guys just letting you know you could be up for a bill $500-$1000 at this end.

It is so simple to get this info from google.

The gst is payable if the goods are over 1k.

If that is the case the gst ais judged on the value including freight.

Calculating Duty and Taxes
Duty, GST and other taxes are calculated and payable when you make an import declaration for goods that have a value above A$1000 or if you import alcohol and/or tobacco products. When your import declaration is processed, Customs and Border Protection will provide you with a payment advice. The payment advice will show all amounts payable to Customs and Border Protection relating to your imported goods.

If you use the services of a licensed customs broker for your imported goods, all Customs and Border Protection liabilities incurred are electronically forwarded to your broker.

When goods that you import are valued at more than A$1000, or include tobacco, tobacco products and/or alcohol of any value, a Customs value is used as the basis for calculating the amount of any duty and/or GST and other taxes payable.

Duty is determined on the Customs value of the goods. The Customs value of the goods is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency. The exchange rate that is used is the rate applied on the day the goods were posted or exported.

GST is paid on the Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI).

The VoTI is the sum of:

the Customs value (Cval)
transport and insurance cost (or postage and insurance) (T&I)
any duty payable, plus
WET (if applicable).
The information below on calculating duty and taxes is provided as a guide only.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp#Calculating

^^^^ What he said.

But GST will be the least of your concerns in terms of costs.

Each Item ( a single unit) coming into a different port is going to attract a hole set of fees by itself !
Be prepared to be reamed. :lol:
You need to know what you are doing before you do these things.
Nev

Each Item ( a single unit) coming into a different port is going to attract a hole set of fees by itself !
Be prepared to be reamed. :lol:
You need to know what you are doing before you do these things.
Nev

What?
They are coming into one port so your post leaves me a little confused, all those involved are up to date with what is going on and are happy (as far as I know) with the process and fees involved.

What?
They are coming into one port so your post leaves me a little confused, all those involved are up to date with what is going on and are happy (as far as I know) with the process and fees involved.

Agreed. All pots are goibg to one port in one shipment. I agree you would be reamed if they call came into different ports!!

Have these arrived yet? what was the total cost per unit?
Cheers
Robbo

my pot arrived today :D

IMGP7053.JPG

IMGP7051.JPG

IMGP7052.JPG

Collected my 98l pot at the weekend :)

Very happy with it on face value (unused as yet) but I saw its big brother at Phil's house which had been used and was showing no signs of metal wear or tarnishing.

Now to get the 3 way ball valve on there and source a spiral burner and we're away !

Thanks to Phil for all the emails and organising the whole deal.

Cheers, Dan :icon_cheers:

I too would like to know the total cost for pots and size delivered :)

It was $138 for a 71L and $178 for a 98L.

The import costs (sac clearance + local port handling and container fees) were just under $600 from memory + bank fees etc. If you ordered more, I don't think these costs would change much but then you end up paying GST + duty etc....

Pretty good deal none the less!

Cheers

Phil

Have you taken delivery of these pots mate?

How long did they take to ship over here?

Latest posts

Back