Altbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nashmandu

Reaction score
Hey Sheilas,

Im planning on brewing to this recipe unless unforseen circumstances interveen.

I use the word recipe lightly, im talking rough

40% weyermanns pils
30% munich
20% munich 3
6% vienna
2% carafa
2% carafa 3

60 mins - Spalt/tett
15 mins - Spalt
5 mins - Spalt

40 IBU's

sach rest 65

what yeast is best for the dry, no ester experience?
Is malt free from defect?

share you vast wisdom

did i say cara....didnt think so, as a retailer you should know what i mean....

You did say munich 3, and the only munich 3 is the cara, so a fair guess by GB.
Anywho, I'd be tempted to go more
60% pils
25% munich II
13% vienna
2% carafa special III for colour

Hops should be good.
As there is pils in there I would be doing a 90 min boil, and depending on yeast a diacetyl rest in the ferment as well. I had a good run with W34/70 in my lagers as a dried yeast.

60% pils
25% munich II
13% vienna

Hops should be good.
As there is pils in there I would be doing a 90 min boil, and depending on yeast a diacetyl rest in the ferment as well. I had a good run with W34/70 in my lagers as a dried yeast.

lagers......hmmm......its a lager yeast....

60% pils
25% munich II
13% vienna

Hops should be good.
Good call, that recipe sounds more on track.I think 1% Carafa III will give the required colour with out to much roast flavour.

GB

It is a lager yeast. With dried yeast the range is somewhat limited. A lager yeast would possibly work better in this circumstance. However if temp control is the concern, you could try the dried swiss lager that has been discussed lately as clean at 19c. I guess a us05 at low temps might come off alright. Havent tried it. Nor have I given the swiss lager a go yet (in the fridge waiting for time ATM).

May I suggest trying a commercial (German of course) example of an Alt first, just to get a feel for the style.

K

May I suggest trying a commercial (German of course) example of an Alt first, just to get a feel for the style.

K

What do you mean by commercial.....

i have brewed before...

im using all weyemanns, no crysta, spaltl.....what could u possibly be on about?

I'd be using the WY1007 altbier yeast

Works for me

Paul

This would be my choice as well. 1007 fermented at low temps then lagered for as long as you can make yourself.

An alt with a lager yeast will be a german lager rather than an alt.

I'm not sure you should take offence at DrK - his suggestion was a reasonable one - only problem being alts are hard to find over here as far as I know.

There's a great description of german altbier in this thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...worst+trip+ever

And a good discussion of style and recipes in this thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10708 (you will need to go through the thread to find the relevant bits).

What do you mean by commercial.....

i have brewed before...

im using all weyemanns, no crysta, spaltl.....what could u possibly be on about?

Sorry, an Altbier, in the sense that an Altbier is a style of beer, well there are two, but for the moment let us say Dusseldorf Altbier. It is availabe commercially (that is to say you can buy it).
I have found it to be educative to try an example of a beer I wished to brew before going headlong, eyes and possibly brain, closed into brewing it.

K

Sorry, an Altbier, in the sense that an Altbier is a style of beer, well there are two, but for the moment let us say Dusseldorf Altbier. It is availabe commercially (that is to say you can buy it).
I have found it to be educative to try an example of a beer I wished to brew before going headlong, eyes and possibly brain, closed into brewing it.

K

What commercial examples are readily available over here? I completely agree that trying a type of beer before you try to brew it is a good idea but I've not been able to find any altbier anywhere. I'd love to try one though - something about altbier and its history makes me want to read about them (I have) brew them ( I have) and taste them (sadly I haven't)

K

Ok, so you mean drink a commericial example, not brew one - i see. I have tried a few altbier's, some from the international beer shop in perth and some brewed by micros around WA, aswell as one pale ale/altbier interpretation that I had a part in brewing at a commercial brewery. So i am ready to go headlong / strong - brain or no brain into brewing one of my own

Thank you Manticle
Does anyone else get an idea?
Seriously..you want to make a Carlton Draft, commercial examples are available as benchmarks. LCPA is a fine example of APA, for a robust porter Harviestoun Old Engine Oil, Dupont Saisson, Rodenbach and so on for various styles.
So, you are going to make an Altbier, despite the fact you have never tasted one and thus have no benchmark, you throw a, frankly, over complicated recipe that makes no sense together, suggest a yeast that for this style is lacking.
If an Alt is an Alt because you say it is then its an Alt?
Decide.

K

Ok, so you mean drink a commericial example, not brew one - i see. I have tried a few altbier's, some from the international beer shop in perth and some brewed by micros around WA, aswell as one pale ale/altbier interpretation that I had a part in brewing at a commercial brewery. So i am ready to go headlong / strong - brain or no brain into brewing one of my own
So I guess that is reasonable to ask, what particular qualities would you expect from the beer you wish to brew?Leaving colour as a nobrainer out, bitterness, hop character, hop aroma , esters, mouthfeel, malt backbone, finish and thats just the tasting....

Back