Altbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Dog

Beer
Reaction score
First attempt at an Altbier. Never tasted one before, so I've no idea if I'm in the ballpark or not.

Recipe was:
46.6% weyermann Pilsner
46.6% gladfield Munich
4.7% biscuit
2.1% Carafa II
40g Hallertau, 15g magnum at 90min = 34IBU

WLP029
Grain added at 55C, left for 10 min
Hochkurz mash (63C for 30 min, 68 for 30, 72 for 20, 77 mash out)
Fermented at 17C ambient; lagered at 5C for 5 weeks
OG 1.047; FG 1.012

Really nice beer, but no idea if it's even close. It tastes like a best bitter on steroids - maltier, more bitter and cleaner as ester are minimal. For those that know the style, is this right? And if so, why didn't you bar stewards tell me how farking good it was before now?

image.jpeg

You're getting closer, but drop the Carafa way down to about 0.5%, and drop the biscuit. Gravity range is fine. Mash regime is fine.

Hops used will make a good beer, but to be correct use all Spalter early only, no late hops or dry hops.

And use the proper yeast, German Ale Yeast ie Altbier yeast, ferment at 15ºC and lager as you have done.

By the way, I spent 3 days in Düsseldorf 2 years ago sloshing around the Altstadt drinking nothing but Altbier, so I have a fairly good idea of what they're like at the source. Fabulous beers.

One of my favourite styles to drink and brew, did well in Vicbrew and Nats with a few different versions. I haven't had the opportunity to try any real samples but have been told by some that have that my version is bang on. Either way, my version is one of my absolute best beers and I have one lagering at the moment.

I do use a wee bit of biscuit in mine (first version didn't but I find it adds a little something) and I do also do several decoctions. I have tried tettnanger, styrians, spalter and combinations of each. All work wonderfully and hall mitt will as well. Spalt is probably my fave but it's not by a country mile -just a photo finish.

From my reading, dusseldorf altbier varies a lot between brewpubs so the idea that it is one thing and one thing only is a little narrow. There are certainly boundaries but experiment within them. Bitterness and hoppiness both vary - some versions are even dry hopped so get colour, flavour and bitterness where you want using good quality ingredients, german where you can find it and get into one of the best beer styles out there.

I think your recipe looks great grist and hopwise - yeast is the key. I don't know that whitelabs yeast (wyeast user here I use 1007). If that's the equivalent or near, ferment under 14, cold condition for 3 or more weeks post FG and you have a winner. Otherwise change yeast.

I reckon leave the Carafa as well at 2%.... mmmmm carafa

Latest posts

Back