All Head No Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewgong

Reaction score
Hows it goin fellas been brewing and kegging for a year now. I just kegged two brews four days ago carbed up as usual 40psi for 24 hours then drop it to 15 until they taste spot on. One of my brews keeps coughing and spluttering when i try to pour a beer from it (19l corny kegs) im getting 90% foam. The only way i can pour a beer from it is at extremely low pressure and it takes forever . Curiosity got the better of me i popped open keg to ensure i put beer and gas tube on correct post and its sweet. However i still get super foamy beer i watch the beer come through the line and i see a half inch of beer half inch of foam ext ect flowing through then line .The other line shows solid beer, im hoping someone knows exactly what my problem is please share your thoughts
any help much appreciated

Overcarbed. Maybe left it on 40 for 2 days instead of 1...........

One common enough cause of what you are seeing is gas leaking past the O-ring on the diptube.

Check the seal around the dip tube, usually just removing the post, lifting the diptube up and have a look at the O-Ring.
If its a bit ratty, a couple of turns of plumbing thread tape will often get you out of trouble. Best to slide the O-Ring down the tube 10-15mm and run the tape over it (flat) so it's touching the tube both above and below the O-Ring. then push the diptube back down into the keg and tighten the post back up.

Naturally 90% kegging problems are caused by over gassing - the above assumes you have the right pressure and temperature.
Mark

One common enough cause of what you are seeing is gas leaking past the O-ring on the diptube.

Check the seal around the dip tube, usually just removing the post, lifting the diptube up and have a look at the O-Ring.
If its a bit ratty, a couple of turns of plumbing thread tape will often get you out of trouble. Best to slide the O-Ring down the tube 10-15mm and run the tape over it (flat) so it's touching the tube both above and below the O-Ring. then push the diptube back down into the keg and tighten the post back up.

Naturally 90% kegging problems are caused by over gassing - the above assumes you have the right pressure and temperature.
Mark
Cheers mate ill suss it out when i get home i dont believe its over carbed as when i turn pressure right down it pours ok just very slow. the more i think about it im willing to bet its that seal . Thanks for the help

Back