All grain - primary fermentation time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradmccoy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My first all grain batch has been in the primary fermenter for 9 days. When I've done extract recipes in the past, they've fermented really quickly (usualyl within a few days, and I can bottle a week after pitching). With this one, after 9 days, there is still a fair bit of CO2 coming out of the air lock. Is it usual for all grain brews to take longer to ferment? I wonder if there is something about doing all grain that produces more complex sugars that the yeast takes longer to ferment?

The OG was fairly middle of the road (1045). Haven't taken a SG reading since pitching, figured I'd wait till the bubbling dies down. Expect it to finish around 1010.

Any encouraging words would be appreciated!

check the gravity, co2 doesnt mean much unless it's v vigourous

Cool, thanks. Hoping to bottle this weekend so I can get another batch in the fermenter.

get more fermentors then, make it easy on yourself and give the beer the proper time to ferment and clean itself up

bradmccoy said:
there is still a fair bit of CO2 coming out of the air lock. Is it usual for all grain brews to take longer to ferment? I wonder if there is something about doing all grain that produces more complex sugars that the yeast takes longer to ferment?
Firstly, throw away the airlock and use gladwrap over the top of the fermenter. The only thing an airlock does is lead you up the garden path. Fermentation is finished when you gravity is stable over 2 days (give or take).

As far as AG brews taking longer to ferment, well (in my experience) it depends on the style. My last hefeweizen took 4 days to reach its FG, had a saison that took the best part of three weeks. I leave all my brews a minimum of two weeks before I draw off a sample for testing (only sampled the hefe early as the fermentation seemed particularly vigorous).

If you're sanitisation regimen is solid, and you've got good temp control then leaving it in the fermenter is not a problem and your beer will most likely benefit from the extra time you give it.

Yeah sounds like another fermenter is the way to go.

Thanks.

what temp are you fermenting at? lower temps - longer fermentation (as a general rule). as others have said, keep an eye to sanitation, keep it temp controlled and avoid disturbing the CO2 layer and she'll be fine. don't rush the beer to get another one going, get another fermenter and ensure you give the yeast time to work and reduce the chance you'll be wasting your efforts and the beer by rushing it.

and ignore the airlock.

If you have good temperature control then, for ales, raise the temp by a few degrees at the end, for a few days to finish off. All the flavours will have developed early in the process so a few days at say 21 degrees isn't going to introduce anything strange.

Gladwrap is the ideal solution as you can see clearly what's happening and after a few brews you will get a feel as to when the brew is done - clearing from the top etc. The O ring from the fermenter lid is the best thing to hold the gladwrap.

airlock = $2 piece of shitty plastic
hydrometer = calibrated piece of scientific equipment

I leave my ales in the fermenter for about 2-3 weeks before bottling (depending on what i have on), lagers longer

I only check the hydro readings after 2 weeks.

It can also depend on your yeast and your process, if you use dry yeast, rehydrate or use liquid or starters. If you underpitched for your beer style then you could end up with a longer lag time.

I used to use dry yeast dumped straight into the fermenter, lag time was approx 24-48 hours, doing a liquid yeast propagated starter nowdays lag times are approx 12-18 hours. Lag time for me is visible activity in the fermenter

and get yourself another fermenter, I have 3 on a rotation to keep up with demand!

12 - 14 days in the primary, ales generally around 18 deg, lagers 10 - 11 deg. Always check FG with a hydrometer to be sure, and +1 on the gladwrap! Dump the lid. :beerbang:

I always primary for four weeks regardless of style. In my opinion, one week is way to soon to be bottling. Give the yeast time to do its thing and to clean up after itself.

As others have said, don't worry about the airlock and go the gladwrap. After a couple of weeks take a hydro reading just to make sure everything's proceeding properly.

If you don't have temperature control get it.

Latest posts

Back