All Grain Or Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AG or Extract brewer?

• Extract

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All Grain

• Bit of both

• Total voters
Well I was going to start a new thread but......I thought this one was quite appropriate given my input into this topic. Drew! my ole mate, chum, buddy K&K buddy...I have something I need to tell you. Now dont take this the wrong way, its not you its me OK? Well....ive just finished my first partial mash :eek: Just put it too bed five minutes ago, wrapped up in his 100 cooler bag with two frozen coke bottles to keep him company. Mate! what can I say? Call me a turn coat, a collaborator, a two faced git? but I just had to do it. I couldnt handle the pull from the dark side! Crikey those grains smelt nice mashing! I wont forget you. I'll always remember the times we had brewing those tins. But hopefully this may cheer you up a bit I just bottled two grumpys kits and racked a kit. Sorry man! I have to go now as Im quite emotional :p
Cheers
Steve

Technically I'm the only All Grain brewer on this forum - I start with Grain and make my own malt.
and what makes you think this is your domain only???

Hey I saw this post PP and I thought - "Should go grab a beer it'll be a long one"

LOL You didnt disappoint either mate! Just out of interest - How long do keyboards last you on average?

;)

I'm glad it only took you one beer to read it - it took me about 24 to write it if you include the beers at yesterday's arvo bbq :blink: Sorry about that post - probably the longest I've written without much of a point - lol, though I do like the categorising your posts idea. I could categorise mine as, "Sleep-inducing."

Keyboard lasts a lifetime - it's ceramic!

LOL
Pat

I wondered if there was a way for the mods to check who had done the longest post ever - I'd be flamin' surprised if you werent there or there about PP.

:D

Well I was going to start a new thread but......I thought this one was quite appropriate given my input into this topic. Drew! my ole mate, chum, buddy K&K buddy...I have something I need to tell you. Now dont take this the wrong way, its not you its me OK? Well....ive just finished my first partial mash :eek: Just put it too bed five minutes ago, wrapped up in his 100 cooler bag with two frozen coke bottles to keep him company. Mate! what can I say? Call me a turn coat, a collaborator, a two faced git? but I just had to do it. I couldnt handle the pull from the dark side! Crikey those grains smelt nice mashing! I wont forget you. I'll always remember the times we had brewing those tins. But hopefully this may cheer you up a bit I just bottled two grumpys kits and racked a kit. Sorry man! I have to go now as Im quite emotional :p
Cheers
Steve

Well this w/end ole buddy I just did my first mini-mash as well, a belgium ale :) For certain beers I shall definately go all out but some are delicous the way they are.

I have to say Steve it definately was a lot funner then I thought aye? And bloody satisfying, certainly more satisfying then a kit and bits.

I'll be interested to drink the result thats for sure..... I even splashed out for a saf-ale!

[/quote]

Well this w/end ole buddy I just did my first mini-mash as well, a belgium ale :) For certain beers I shall definately go all out but some are delicous the way they are.

I have to say Steve it definately was a lot funner then I thought aye? And bloody satisfying, certainly more satisfying then a kit and bits.

I'll be interested to drink the result thats for sure..... I even splashed out for a saf-ale!
[/quote]

Coincidence eh? Yep - lots of fun - very easy too. Didnt have a clue as to hop additions though. I did an APA and chuked in Amarillo, Chinook and Cascade (at 60, 30 and 5 mins). Just wait for the replies now from the AGers. Cant wait to taste it, smells declicious through the happily bubblin away airlock! Must have done something right! Wow and a safe ale too - now your really splashing out. Im off to buy two 18.9 litre stock pots this week to do another on Saturday!
Cheers
Steve

Was actually tempted to split into 2 lots for the saf-ale and put 1 in a bottle in the fridge just with water.

I already have a stockpot that I use for it, mine I just had the grain, in the grain bag for an hour at 65 degrees.

Then strained the grain using funnily enough a strainer, the liquid back into the pot(didnt bother with 2 pots).

Added 1kg of liquid malt, brought to boil added 20g of fuggles at start, 10g of fuggles at 15 min mark, and 20g again at the end.

Poured into fermentor(noted happily hadnt burnt pot) added the kit, then stirred it, in poured water in til 20 ltrs, added saf-ale.

And yeah 3 hours later was happily bubbling away.

Lot easier then we thought aye?(Thats what was deterring me) And your right definately great fun.

Did you buy a premade grain enhancer pack? - I did it was powdered amber grain.

Was actually tempted to split into 2 lots for the saf-ale and put 1 in a bottle in the fridge just with water.

I already have a stockpot that I use for it, mine I just had the grain, in the grain bag for an hour at 65 degrees.

Then strained the grain using funnily enough a strainer, the liquid back into the pot(didnt bother with 2 pots).

Added 1kg of liquid malt, brought to boil added 20g of fuggles at start, 10g of fuggles at 15 min mark, and 20g again at the end.

Poured into fermentor(noted happily hadnt burnt pot) added the kit, then stirred it, in poured water in til 20 ltrs, added saf-ale.

And yeah 3 hours later was happily bubbling away.

Lot easier then we thought aye?(Thats what was deterring me) And your right definately great fun.

Did you buy a premade grain enhancer pack? - I did it was powdered amber grain.

Nahhhh - I used a bag of grain - Weyermann Munich Type 2 :blink:
Cheers
Steve

Drew,

For your next partial (hopefully you'll do more) why not try a pilsner? In my opinion, this is ther sort of style where you will notice the virtues of mashing grains the most.

Something like:

1kg LME
3kg Pilsner malt mashed at 65deg
Bitter to 35 IBUs with 60min addition
25g Saaz @ 20mins
25g Saaz @ 5 mins
Saflager yeast at lager temps.

I reckon this sort of brew is one which will really get the tastebuds excited. But warning, it may induce alcoholism (moreso)! :p :D

Drew,

For your next partial (hopefully you'll do more) why not try a pilsner? In my opinion, this is ther sort of style where you will notice the virtues of mashing grains the most.

Something like:

1kg LME
25g Saaz @ 20mins
25g Saaz @ 5 mins

I reckon this sort of brew is one which will really get the tastebuds excited. But warning, it may induce alcoholism (moreso)! :p :D

Cheers TD - might have to scribble that one down. How much saaz at 60mins? And you add the LME for the last 5-10 mins?
Steve

Actually a huge pilsener fan will have to try that one as it looks to be a tad cheaper then some partials that I've seen.

Oh the irony of it all, that this thread would end with DrewCarey82 and Steve discussing WHICH GRAINS they used in their most recent batches.

Welcome to the dark side! :super:

Yesterday I helped a friend of mine keg for the first time.

His beer was an APA made from a Coopers can, DME, a couple of hundred grams of steeped crystal, Amarillo hops and US-56 yeast. It was absolutely delicious straight out of the fermenter, and we drank some more as soon as we had force carbed it. Excellent head retention, great flavour, a hint of grain character from the steeped crystal. Kits CAN and DO make great beer - but you have to work at it.

Steve,

I literally just came up with that recipe on the run - it would be worth your while throwing it into some kind of recipe calculator or something to check the OGs and IBUs etc etc.

An AG pilsner I did a while ago that used Czech Saaz for bittering I think was 70g from memory, butr again, its worth double checking that sort of thing. You don't NEED saaz at 60 - any bittering hops will do, but obviously you will need to adjust the amount for the higher alpha.

I don't think it will technically make much difference to the flavour if you add the LME at the beginning of the boil or the end, but what it will do is affect your hop utilisation. As the gravity of your boil increases so does the hop utilisation, meaning you will get more IBUs from the same amount of hops. So all these things make a difference. This is why brewing software is so handy - it takes the guess work out - it automatically adjusts gravity etc as you change the ingredients and other variables.

I hope I am not making it all seem complicated. Its great to see you guys giving it a stab, and obviously at this stage the simpler the better.

By mashed that means just left in the grain bag, in the water at that temperature doesnt it?

There is no actual mashing is there.

I just threw this recipe into Beertools. I have never used Beertools for a partial mash before so I have no idea if I am totally missing something! Anybody else who has comments on the recipe etc please feel free to share them...

I think this recipe assumes you are boiling the LME for the full 60mins. Its a 15L boil which means you might end up with about 10L of extract, so you'll need to top up the fermenter with 10L of water.

BeerTools.com Recipe Results E-mail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pils Partial Mash

General
Category: Pilsner
Subcategory: Bohemian Pilsener
Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 20 liters
Volume Boiled: 15 liters
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Total Grain/Extract: 4.00 kg.
Total Hops: 70.0 g.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 189.1
Cost to Brew: $26.58 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.47 (USD)

Ingredients
3 kg. Australian Pilsner
1 kg. Liquid Light Extract
20 g. Northern Brewer (Pellets, 10 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
25 g. Czech Saaz (Pellets, 3.5 %AA) boiled 20 minutes.
25 g. Czech Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 5 minutes.
Yeast: DCL Yeast Saflager S-23 Genuine Lager Yeast

Notes

Vital Statistics
Original Gravity: 1.048
Terminal Gravity: 1.014
Color: 3.40 SRM
Bitterness: 34.2 IBU
Alcohol (%volume): 4.4 %

--
Results prepared by BeerTools.com
http://www.beertools.com/

1kg LME
25g Saaz @ 20mins
25g Saaz @ 5 mins

So close to an All grain, just change the 1kg LME to 2-3Kg of Pilsner malt and your there :party:

And over to the dark side I think not!

Also for that Pilsener recipe how much water do I need to boil?

Cheers.

By mashed that means just left in the grain bag, in the water at that temperature doesnt it?

There is no actual mashing is there.

Nah, just literally soaking cracked grain in hot water for a certain perion of time at a certain temp.

Also I hear about people having burners/heaters ect to heat their pots or whatever.

Whats stopping me from doing it on the stove?

And also how many litres for the pilsener recipes for the boil?

Cheers.

1kg LME
25g Saaz @ 20mins
25g Saaz @ 5 mins

So close to an All grain, just change the 1kg LME to 2-3Kg of Pilsner malt and your there :party:

Yeah, I know! :beer:

I just saw reference in a previous post to using 1kg of LME so I figured I'd just go with that and add grains to get it to the right OG. I am just throwing something together with this recipe! haha

But the more grain you use the more you will see the characteristics it adds to the beer.

If you mash in a stainless pot you should be fine for space. A 10L esky might be a slightly different story but you might just squeeze it in.

Latest posts

Back