All Grain Or Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AG or Extract brewer?

• Extract

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All Grain

• Bit of both

• Total voters
It is - ironic isnt it!
Drew - do a search by a bloke called cubbie on his step by step partial mash instructions.
Thanks guys - will give that pilsner partial a burl, love me pilseners!
Cheers
Steve

Also I hear about people having burners/heaters ect to heat their pots or whatever.

Whats stopping me from doing it on the stove?

And also how many litres for the pilsener recipes for the boil?

Cheers.

Nothings stopping you using the stove. If its an electric stove be very careful with boilovers though as they have much less control than gas.

The boil will be around 15L (so should be ok on the stove). The idea is to add 3L of water to every kg of grain. So you'll need 9L of water at around 74-75deg. When you add the grain it should drop to the 65-67 range (which will do). Stir in the grain so you don't ahve any dough balls and you get a nice mushy looking consistency. Let that sit for 1hr. Then let all the wort run out of the grain (using a strainer or something similar), then add another 9L of ~75deg water to the grain to wash the sugars off it. You should collect around 15L of wort (around 3L will remain soaked up in the spent grain). The add the 1kg of LME to that liquid, mix it in and bring it to the boil. Just watch it constantly in case of a boilover. The rest is fairly self-explanatory...

Drew - I did mine on the stove (electric) on Saturday no worries. with a 8litre pot (mash) and a 15 litre pot (boil). Im going to the shop called the warehouse - to buy two new pots. They have some 18.9 litre ones for sale for $13.99. That'll do me for starters, to get the hang of things.....thanks guys. Feel free to keep the partial recipes coming in.
Cheers
Steve

TD, in beersmith use the all grain calculator, otherwise it thinks you are not mashig

I think we may have got a little off topic hear as my catagorization would be

Kit@kilo = K@K possible extract if adding hops

Extract = using extract to replace grain, but possibly steaping grain for extra flavor (no MASHING)

Partial = using a scaled down grain bill, and adding extract to bring up the final gravity.

All grain = using no malt extract at all.

The topic is extract or all grain

no partial or all grain

Either way interesting discusion

Dave

Apologies for getting off topic.

It maybe an idea for a mod to break off and start this as a new topic for future reference?

TD, in beersmith use the all grain calculator, otherwise it thinks you are not mashig

Extract = using extract to replace grain, but possibly steaping grain for extra flavor (no MASHING)

Partial = using a scaled down grain bill, and adding extract to bring up the final gravity.

no partial or all grain

Dave

Yeah, I wish I had access to Beersmith at work, but I've only got it at home, that's why I used Beertools, but I have very little experience with beertools.

I figured this thread had kind of done its dash a bit already. I'm just happy to see some of the extract brewers at least experimenting with grains a bit so they can then make a decision on which form of brewing they prefer from their own personal experience. PMs are just the half way house on the road to AG, so its kind of relevant! ;) :party:

I don't think it will technically make much difference to the flavour if you add the LME at the beginning of the boil or the end, but what it will do is affect your hop utilisation. As the gravity of your boil increases so does the hop utilisation, meaning you will get more IBUs from the same amount of hops.

well hasn't this thread had a change of direction..... :blink:
this is probably a little OT to the original thread topic, not that i recall what that was.
But seeing though you K&K boys :p are gathering your partial information now... note: T.D has the above info around the wrong way i think ( monday morning i guess ;) ) but from my recollection hop utilization decreases with increased gravity.... so you might be better off waiting to add the LME nearer the end of boil.

Cheers
KoNG

no partial or all grain

Dave

Yeah, I wish I had access to Beersmith at work, but I've only got it at home, that's why I used Beertools, but I have very little experience with beertools.

I figured this thread had kind of done its dash a bit already. I'm just happy to see some of the extract brewers at least experimenting with grains a bit so they can then make a decision on which form of brewing they prefer from their own personal experience. PMs are just the half way house on the road to AG, so its kind of relevant! ;) :party:

Agree

I wonder how many people do partials, once your understand the process, its costing you $10+ for the extract, and effectivly taking as much time, you do 5 or 6 of those and you could buy the gear for a bigger mash tun, and do a couple of smaller boils on the stove.

Dave

Thats what I am thinking this partial method sounds exactly the same as AG.

At the moment finances dont permit me to do AG, but once my stocks are full I'll be able to save $30 odd bucks a week towards it.

True, but I am on a shoe string budget ATM(Missus has been off work for 3 weeks and has used up all her sick leave so its been my mediocre income supporting us.)

Would that one on ebay do for the short term?

note: T.D has the above info around the wrong way i think ( monday morning i guess ;) ) but from my recollection hop utilization decreases with increased gravity.... so you might be better off waiting to add the LME nearer the end of boil.

Cheers
KoNG

Yep, it appears I got that one arse about face.

Thanks KoNG, ya clever bugger! :lol: :p

True, but I am on a shoe string budget ATM(Missus has been off work for 3 weeks and has used up all her sick leave so its been my mediocre income supporting us.)

Would that one on ebay do for the short term?

It all depends on how accurate it is. When you are dealing with mash temps just one or two degrees makes a considerable difference (just ask KoNG in a few weeks when his latest Bitter is ready to drink! :lol: ). If its accurate it will be fine. And geez, if it sells for 99c then you can't go wrong even if its a couple of degrees out - just use it to froth your milk instead! :p

Oh My God.

This thread is fantastic.

Drew has been outed. Dragged kicking and screaming over to towards AG. I'll give you a fortnight before you do a complete AG drew.

I have to say I feel a little left out :( .....and a little betrayed Drew :( .

I just hope you can remember your roots and your old KKK friends drew, and dont start looking down on us....... :p

But seriously, this thread is truely inspiring and I feel my AGness quivering for release. :party:

Can I make another point here....

I say kill the thread, it's not needed.

Cheers
MAH

Yes indeedy.

If this thread had been killed. Drew and Steve would not have been pushed over the edge.

I am teetering too. The only thing holding me back is the lack of funds and the fact that I have an extract "little creatures" to brew.

Thank god the mods did not see fit to sensor this discussion and allowed us 'grown-ups" to decide for ourselves.

Very good lesson to learn here. "Dont decide for me, what conversations (threads) I can and cant participate in."

I hope we are still a nation of free thinkers.

..................Ouch!

I just grazed my shin slipping off my soapbox.

Anyway.

Go the Aussies. Another Late night coming up.

ATOMT

Stuff it I am getting the bugger.

Cheers mate.

And Angel, all you need is a decent sized stock pot and a thermometer to do a partial.....

Seriously try it and you'll see how fun it is....

And will probably still do kit & bits to keep my stocks up and give visitors something to drink as a coopers draught with CBE2 is easily the equal of tooheys new, carlton cold ect.

And being a unit dweller these monster set ups some have are totally out of the question.

Stuff it I am getting the bugger.

Cheers mate.

And Angel, all you need is a decent sized stock pot and a thermometer to do a partial.....

Seriously try it and you'll see how fun it is....

And will probably still do kit & bits to keep my stocks up and give visitors something to drink as a coopers draught with CBE2 is easily the equal of tooheys new, carlton cold ect.

And being a unit dweller these monster set ups some have are totally out of the question.

Onya Drew....very good point Angel about the thread deletion request. Must admit though Ive been thinking about doing one for a while - I just couldnt bring myself to tell Drew! Over and out from me - no more hijacking.
Cheers
Steve

Gee's am I really that scary :)

Though I have to admit thinking back I do get very passionate dont I.

And Stevo dont forget we've still gotta try partial and AG's before we see if they are better or not.... They may indeed be a myth.

Latest posts

Back