All Grain Or Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AG or Extract brewer?

• Extract

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All Grain

• Bit of both

• Total voters
Well just being honest.

Dont forget I am in the AHB Xmas for July Sydney batch so I'll be trying veteran AG's and not just my virgin attempts. - So it will be a fair judgement.

And being a unit dweller these monster set ups some have are totally out of the question.

DC82, you'll be surprised what you can achie ve if you really want to. I'm in a 2 bedroom unit with SWMBO, unfortunately for her 60% of the 2nd room is dedicated to brewing. But i cant brew in there, so every brew day i have to take everything out of the unit into the courtyard area to brew (and quite often it goes travelling in the back of the subaru to brew @ a mates place), so dont let unit living put you off, it's well doable.. and fun too, just yesterday i had a mate over for coffee's and beers while brewing, we watched the Nicole and Keith circus in the sky :rolleyes: , helped a lady climb over a fence :blink: and chatted to passers by wondering what the hell was going on.?!?!?

i love brew day.. (and decent weather :lol: ) (and all the hot lass's that live in the unit block behind)

Yeah but I dont have a car so transporting the gear is out of the question.

Luckily she goes to visit her grandparents on Saturdays from about 9-5pm so I can take over the kitchen and not have her nagging me to the shithouse.

And in my spare room I normally have 4 fermentators bubbling away and definately not room for anymore.

Pretty much all I can see that you need for basic, basic partial is.

1. decent sized stockpot.
2. thermometre.
3. grain bag.
4. usual bits and peices for brewing.

Yeah but I dont have a car so transporting the gear is out of the question.

Luckily she goes to visit her grandparents on Saturdays from about 9-5pm so I can take over the kitchen and not have her nagging me to the shithouse.

And in my spare room I normally have 4 fermentators bubbling away and definately not room for anymore.

Pretty much all I can see that you need for basic, basic partial is.

1. decent sized stockpot.
2. thermometre.
3. grain bag.
4. usual bits and peices for brewing.

Drew - have a read of this:
http://www.elogicmedia.com.au/homebrew/
Its more or less what I did on the weekend.
Cheers
Steve

That looks f--king complicated I have to say man, dont you reckon it would be easier to use a grain bag as I did though? and then maybe have a smaller second saucepan to do a small repeat with the grain?

Anyone know what I can expect to pay for a cheap esky at go-lo or big w ect?

I am after about a 6can or there abouts.

Can I get for around $10-15sh?

Cheers.

This is getting surreal.

I should take some photos of my AG system, to show just how cheap & nasty (read: cobbled together pile of junk) an AG rig can be and still make great beer.

Ok, all grain does not have to cost much, and is not that complicated yes toys are nice, but they often confuse the issue

I am going to set my self a challange, a 20L batch of all grain, for under 10 bucks of equipment. I will buy everything off the the self

I know my temperture equipment should be acurate ( and i use a calibrated meter and thermocouple for my normal brewing) but given the 10 dollar budget i will see how i go.

Im glad that i did not have to spend big dollars to find out how to do an all grain, because now i can work out what areas i want I need to improve or speed up and spend the money only once.

The 10 dollars in equipment will also be quickly recouped in the savings in all grain as opossed to a extract i would think

Sent Gerard of Northern districts this email, do you guys reckon it sounds okay for a recipe, also posted this as an indicator of what 1 can cost.

Total of $27.

Pilsener.
3kg of Pilsener malt. (Powells 3kg from you @ $2.50kg + 20c fee for cracking, Total = $8.10)
1kg of light malt extract. (Getting from elsewhere)
50g of saaz hops. (You sell in 100g pack for that so, Total = $8)
Saf-lager yeast(You sell, Total = $4.50)

Total = $20.50 to Lidcombe.

Recipe. - This sounds okay by the people I've run it through so far. - Though your an expert so can you confirm? - Cheers.

Cook the malt at 3kg's for 1h and 15 mins in 9 litres of water.
Sift back to boiler(am buying an esky.)
Put grain back in esky with hot tap water for 15 mins in 2 litres of water
Add whats their into 9 litres done earlier.
Bring to boil, add 1 litre of Light malt extract.
Start of boil add 20g of Saaz.
30 minute mark add 10g of Saaz.
End of boil add 20g of Saaz.

This is getting surreal.

I should take some photos of my AG system, to show just how cheap & nasty (read: cobbled together pile of junk) an AG rig can be and still make great beer.

Please do that colinw. I would love to see them.

Drew

Its not quite correct, if you can wait 1 or 2 days i will have a full post up on the process using my 10 dollar equipment

You should also be able to do one at least 5 buck cheaper

David

I dont think you will get enough bitterness with 20grams of saaz, not sure without putting it threw the program at home,

also the method doesnt seem correct by cooking do you mean sitting at a temp of between 60-70

The tap water you need to get to around 80-85 degress, i assume you are going add all the rinse (sparge water) to the grain and then remove the grain before boiling

it was 20g at start.
10g at Middle
20g at end.

50g all together and yeah between 60-70 aiming for 65.

20g at the start will not be enough. I said 20g for bittering in my recipe but it was Northern Brewer which is around 10% alpha (Saaz is usually 3-4 ish).

Mate when your talking about bittering/IBU's ect I have NFI.

I'll be getting a 100g of Saaz from Gerard at Northern brewing, what would you recommend(he'll be comming back to me as well) for the boil how many g's and at what point?

Cheers.

The 60min addition is usually considered the bittering addition (even though later additions still contribute a small amount of bitterness). The bulk of your IBUs will come from the 60min addition.

20g of Saaz at 60mins will not give you enough IBUs. Since Northern Brewer is higher alpha it will give you more bitterness per gram that you add.

I would use the whole lot of Saaz (100g) in the brew. It would be cheaper if you used a high alpha bittering hop but I actually think an all-saaz pils is worth while from a flavour perspective. Anyway, I reckon if you added 60g at 60mins, 20g at 20mins and 20g at 5mins that would get you pretty close.

I don't have software at hand to tell you exactly what the IBU would be though. Beertools is a good option if you want to tweak recipes for free on the web (you have to sign up though).

Latest posts

Back