Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A hundred bucks is a bit much of a price increase over a short time, I'll be looking around at other can seamers now to compare them and get value for money.

Well I am not an angel but I will take Alexander Pope's advice and see how things pan out, although I would be putting my hand up if widgets were involved.

Well I am not an angel but I will take Alexander Pope's advice and see how things pan out, although I would be putting my hand up if widgets were involved.

Wouldn't you need the environment around the can to be under pressure whilst sealing to keep the nitrogen in the widget?

That and actually getting the gas into the widget seems out of reach for a humble home brewer like me. One can dream though...

I would like to know how the nitrogen charged ball stays charged, also I believe it is under patent so unlikely to reach the ranks of homebrewers.:(

According to the article linked above it isn't actually filled as such. Apparently they add a small amount of liquid nitrogen to the can prior to filling.

If it is accurate I would think you could just cut open Guinness cans and re use them.

No need for the nitrogen filled ball. Just get a syringe without the needle from your local pharmacy.

When draft Guinness in a bottle was first introduced in Ireland they were sold in six packs along with a little black syringe with a shamrock shaped plunger that was used to suck up and inject a squirt of beer back in to glass which formed the creamy head.

When the widget in a can came along it did essentially the same thing as the syringe, but without the hands on effort of the consumer.

Yeah it's funny you mention this. This has been something we have been looking into. I have never tried the syringe but I have been told that you dont get a very fine bubble. Can someone else on the forum let us know if they have used the syringe method?

According to the article linked above it isn't actually filled as such. Apparently they add a small amount of liquid nitrogen to the can prior to filling.

If it is accurate I would think you could just cut open Guinness cans and re use them.

Yes, nothing wrong with reusing it other than the fact that its really hard to sanitise and clean.

Yeah it's funny you mention this. This has been something we have been looking into. I have never tried the syringe but I have been told that you dont get a very fine bubble. Can someone else on the forum let us know if they have used the syringe method?
I use it on my stouts, and yes you do get a very fine bubble on the top layer just don't use a syringe when the beer is not cooled makes a hell of a mess.
001.JPG

Canned about 12 cans so far, all fairly pain free. Had a couple dud seals but I suspect thats because I underestimated how hard you need to push on the lever.

Good piece of kit.

I have never tried the syringe but I have been told that you dont get a very fine bubble. Can someone else on the forum let us know if they have used the syringe method?
Give it a go and see for yourself, it’s not difficult. With a bit of experimenting you should be able form a head as tight and creamy as a widget.

I found that you get finer bubbles if you use a long thin syringe like the old Guinness ones to give a fine fast jet of beer keeping it slightly submerged in the beer as you would with a sparkler on a beer engine rather than above the glass. Like a sparkler pouring from a bit above you will get bigger bubbles and less tight creamy head.

I have just ordered mine on Friday can’t wait. Have to wait for the power supply to come in.
You could always get a power supply from eBay. Lots of them with similar specs cords can be sourced from auto electricians for the Anderson plug and cord, the 240v cord can be cut from any old appliance (just make sure it’s a 3 core wire which will have the earth wire)

Latest posts

Back