Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"mostly"
I should qualify, why are the rabid KL or even KK supporters who just about ONLY comment on those afairs, members that are under 6 months old?
(Ignoring WEAL...)

I am pro whoever has the best deals and products. I have only been home brewing for a little while so, yeah my account is young. When I set out to put together my keg fridge I quoted everything side by side KK vs. KL. At the time KK was still selling Intertap and everything. KL was about $100 cheaper, so I went with them. I received good advice and service, fast cheap shipping so, happy days.

I do appreciate how KL are on here getting feed back etc. on the Q&A (do KK have a similar thread?). They also seem to be constantly bringing out new products. I check KK website from time to time as well but you don't see as much action? I just call out people sh*t posting where I see it in my opinion

I am pro whoever has the best deals and products. I have only been home brewing for a little while so, yeah my account is young. When I set out to put together my keg fridge I quoted everything side by side KK vs. KL. At the time KK was still selling Intertap and everything. KL was about $100 cheaper, so I went with them. I received good advice and service, fast cheap shipping so, happy days.

I do appreciate how KL are on here getting feed back etc. on the Q&A (do KK have a similar thread?). They also seem to be constantly bringing out new products. I check KK website from time to time as well but you don't see as much action? I just call out people sh*t posting where I see it in my opinion
Mate if you want to laud up Keg Land, stick to the Keg Land Q & A thread, if you have something constructive to say about canning machines, by all means stay on here and try to contribute something useful. Seems like most threads are becoming fair game for an opportunity to eulogise Keg Land. Makes a person wonder why they need it if they are so good. Keep threads on track for fucks sake.

Mate if you want to laud up Keg Land, stick to the Keg Land Q & A thread, if you have something constructive to say about canning machines, by all means stay on here and try to contribute something useful. Seems like most threads are becoming fair game for an opportunity to eulogise Keg Land. Makes a person wonder why they need it if they are so good. Keep threads on track for fucks sake.

Calm down champ..

Why is it mostly memberships that are under 6 months old that are the pro KL brigade?
I think its because they can't have an informative discussion about brewing gear and techniques and maybe feel like they have to post something.

This thread was dying a natural death, maybe start another thread about your canning machine.

Ok I’ve been reading this thread and whole heartedly agree with reg
This thread is titled “all about canning- cannular can seamers and more....”
It IS NOT about shit canning any supplier
If you can’t make comment regarding the content of the forum then go and find one or make a new one that relates to what you want to say

How about everyone just has a crack at being civil to each other, regardless of the thread? This used to be a community where people helped each other, now half the content is people just taking shots. Pretty unpleasant really.

Totally agree with keeping things on topic.

This is a product I'd potentially be interested in, and would like to hear peoples honest and constructive feedback regarding their experiences. Couldn't care less if it comes from KL, KK or G&G. If it works, is reliable and gets good feedback from the consumer then I'd be a probable customer down the track.

JD

Just a bit of feedback from me regarding my experience with the cannular so far.

- I’ve had more success so far with naturally carbonating in the can as opposed to filling with cold, carbonated beer from the keg. This is all down to my process and equipment. I am using the Kegland beer gun with the pressure dialled down very low to fill slowly after purging the can with CO2. I can onto foam but still find the beer to be a bit flat when opened later. I probably need to try over-carbing the beer prior to canning. Still experimenting. The naturally carbonated cans have come up brilliantly. The beers I naturally carbonated were a NEIPA and an oatmeal stout. I used the beer gun to can a lager as I wanted to maintain its clarity.

- As pre-warned by Kee in the Kegland YouTube video, canning can be messy. When canning cold, carbonated beer you generally overfill the can to ensure you are canning onto foam and minimise O2. This means beer running down the outside walls of the can and obviously when you run the seamer this spins the can and flicks beer everywhere. It made a mess of my kitchen that’s for sure!! When filling cans to naturally carbonate you don’t overfill the cans, hence no spillage and no mess.

- There is also something to be said for how long and hard you push and pull the seaming lever. The first two batches of canning I did certainly had poor leaking seams on some of the cans. It appears that my technique has improved since because I think all of the recent batch of cans have sealed quite well. You can tell before opening because the cans are very firm when squeezed whereas the ones with poor seals will give in quite a bit when squeezed. Also, some of my first attempts actually leaked beer out of the seam after they’d been seamed!

Anyway, that’s just my experience so far through a few batches and canning. I’ll continue to fine tune my process and look forward to hearing everyone else’s experiences and hints and tips.

Cheers!

How do you find canning works with oxygenation - have you had any cans sitting there long enough to develop any issues yet?

I’ve got a NEIPA recipe that I continue to replicate (because it’s fantastic) and that’s one of the batches that I’ve canned. In my experience, the NEIPA is the most susceptible of my brews to oxidation and I did have one go south after some lax keg transfer technique.

So far I haven’t had any perceptible issues with oxidation of any canned brews but you’re right, I don’t think enough time has passed to either confirm or deny dissolved oxygen issues.

I think its because they can't have an informative discussion about brewing gear and techniques and maybe feel like they have to post something.

This thread was dying a natural death, maybe start another thread about your canning machine.
Happy to stay on this thread WEAL, was beginning to think I was going to be the only one contributing, I have probably worked on the best can seamer around which is the Dixie.They are all temperamental, even the Dixie. They are frustrating but once you get to know them it does get easier, it does help if the user has an engineering background. The one I have is the same as this one.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ml?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.2.2390368e2DcwbO
I have done a fair bit of work on it taking out the play in the can holder and machined a new nylon retainer. One tip I can give is to make a profile gauge for the well sealed cans and check every 4 or 5 cans that nothing has moved. My neighbour and I did 120 cans for a function at the local football club and there was no rejects.:)

Well my neighbour finished off all of our cans, he went with naturally carbonated cans for this batch as suggested by booyablack. It is a slow process but fun to be able to come up with your own cans at a get together. The biggest problem we have had is moving the damn machine between each others houses, it is so heavy because it has a counterweight under the unit to balance the motor on the back.
Now the second biggest problem is when is the bulk buy taking place and what size cans are we going with.

For those interested about cans I have approached Orora (Cospak) about purchasing cans there prices are

• CLASSIC 375ml SILVER CAN - $155.00 plus GST /1,000 units
    • Orora freight recovery - $2.00 plus GST /1,000 units
      • Pallet charges - 17511 – Top frame - $50.00 plus GST /Pallet
        • – 17512 – Dividers - $25.00 plus GST /Pallet
        • – 17513 – Pallet - $100.00 plus GST /Pallet
        • Pallet charges are all refunded upon return
  • END 200 - $31.75 plus GST /1,000 units
    • Orora freight recovery - $0.80 plus GST /1,000 units
  • END 202 $34.55 plus GST /1,000 units
    • Orora freight recovery - $0.80 plus GST /1,000 units
Problem they only sell these in pallets of 4000 units. They did say that if they had enough enquires about smaller numbers (for us home canners) that smaller quantities may be possible
Alternatively maybe if a few or us got together and pooled resources and if someone had storage space maybe we could purchase a pallet load and divide it up (naturally with something going to the person who collects, stores and returns the pallet
Thoughts? ( I don’t have the resources to store that amount)
I thought there was a Bulk Buy going I am interested in 800

Baw haw haw, you have as much chance of a bulk buy for cans as Oscar Pistorias has fo getting athletes foot.No body bought them! Apart from the few who has posted. So much for the container sold out in 2 days.

Baw haw haw, you have as much chance of a bulk buy for cans as Oscar Pistorias has fo getting athletes foot.No body bought them! Apart from the few who has posted. So much for the container sold out in 2 days.
I am starting to agree with your way of thinking, the amount of posters at the beginning saying they were going to get one seems to have disappeared. Could have been spin coming from KL, I am happy with my purchase, (apart from the weight) I will source my own cans if I have to.

You're one of the staff of the company that were selling them and are privy to sales numbers? Or just unnecessarily joining the others on this forum who seem to just take potshots at the various suppliers?

Seriously mate give it a rest, you've crapped on about this so many times. Just because the handful of people who still visit here don't all own a cannular doesn't mean that they haven't sold any. Forums are losing participants as more people just use fb and crap like the stuff you continually spew out doesn't help either.

So if you have nothing useful to contribute just shut it.

I am starting to agree with your way of thinking, the amount of posters at the beginning saying they were going to get one seems to have disappeared. Could have been spin coming from KL, I am happy with my purchase, (apart from the weight) I will source my own cans if I have to.
Ive gone through about 500 cans. i dont have to carry the machine next door but have to move it about 5m and thats far enough! I ended up sourcing some cans myself, in saying that I split them with a few mates.

Latest posts

Back