Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've kegged about 3 cases of beer with this machine. I'd love to hear more about how much pressure and how long people are pushing and pulling the arm. I'm having some inconsistency issues with mine. Sometimes they gush right after seaming and other times it's after I deliver them to the people in the beer group. And sometimes, even squeezing them doesn't show signs of a leak, but if left in a cooler for a few hours, I'll find a good amount of beer at the bottom. It's starting to get a bit frustrating not having a consistent start/stop point on the arm. When it works, it works great, but I'll go through stretches of 6-8 badly seamed cans, then 6-8 well seamed, I'm not sure what to make of it. If anyone has found some good videos on illustrating the force used fwd and back and or the timing on how long to hold the arm in position or speed in which to move it, it would be greatly appreciated. Youtube only has a couple videos.

Likewise, +1 on adding a plastic beer guard/shield for the machine. Even when wiping the can down after it's been placed in the chuck and prior to starting the machine, it makes a complete mess on some cans!

Kegland will you or do you have replacement rollers (dies) for the Camille and Will they fit the other machines that are advertised on eBay?

Hey guys sorry have not been on this thread much recently and just wanted to give you a bit of an update to the canning machine. Some of you guys have been wanting to use other cans and we have been talking with Visy about this and they have been really great to deal with. They purchased a machine to run some tests on and they have supplied us more details about how to make the required chuck to suit their can lids. So we are in the process of making this new chuck.

I know some of you guys have used our existing chuck and some of you guys have been making your own chucks but at least we will have an official Visy can chuck available soon so you guys can purchase can's from Visy and use on our machine.

We have tried to work with Orora but they have not been as helpful to deal with so far. We do have quite a few small breweries using the machines and now hundreds of home brewers also using this machine. I think the price of the machine doesn't make it affordable to everyone but certainly people who want the convenience of disposable cans then it's hard to beat the Cannular.

It seems the last few pages are getting off topic but really this thread was to help people who want to learn more about Canning. So if you guys have any particular questions on this topic please just ask.

Hi,

I live in Norway and have just ordered the Cannular which arrived on the first shipment of seamers for the Norwegian market.
Is the CDL chuck far away? CDL is pretty much the "standard" here and therefor urging to get my hand on a CDL chuck.

-T

Hi,

I live in Norway and have just ordered the Cannular which arrived on the first shipment of seamers for the Norwegian market.
Is the CDL chuck far away? CDL is pretty much the "standard" here and therefor urging to get my hand on a CDL chuck.

-T

Yes we now have the CDL chuck available. Here is a video we made to show you how to install it and setup up the rolls:

Sorry it's taken a bit longer than we thought. We have been meaning to do this for some time but only just finished this video today.

This will enable you to do the VISY cans:
https://www.kegland.com.au/visy-chuck.html

Last edited:
Was thinking something like this with a handle on the front and magnets at the top and bottom.
My theory is that you can quickly pivot the cover from out of the way to 'in place' and it would seat itself in correct position.
I doubt it would be that difficult to mock up a concept with 3D parts etc but just wanted to know if this was on keglands priority list. I would have definitely held off and bought one of the IP67 power supplies too but I have a system worked out now. Don't get me wrong though - I appreciate the fact that Australia is essentially the test bed for Kegland products, I would rather it that way than wait for 2 years like anything else out of the states.

Hopefully my joined date and number of posts absolves me from any perceived kegland bias!

We have had a few other customers ask about guards to protect you from splash. Brewers especially want to fill the cans right to the brim to evacuate oxygen and as a result this can lead to more splashing when the can starts spinning. So I think guards are a good idea. One of our customers made magnetic guards which seemed to work OK. We will get back to this forum when we have some other solutions available but it is something we are working on.

Thanks for taking the time to draw up and send your design ideas through too. We always appreciate customers input like this.

Hopefully we'll be able to retro fit those guards to existing units?

Also, are people contacting VISY directly for empty cans or via another outlet? What's the smallest amount we can order?

Hopefully we'll be able to retro fit those guards to existing units?

Also, are people contacting VISY directly for empty cans or via another outlet? What's the smallest amount we can order?

I believe customers are purchasing from VISY directly. If you only need silver skins (not printed) I believe you can purchase 1 pallet. A pallet of cans is about 8,000 units.

I have contacted Visy but the smallest plain can is a half pallet of 4000 cans at about 25 c per can and lid
Smaller quantities of printed cans are available but printing set up and manufacture and packaging will cost in excess of $2000
However, if enough people make the enquires direct to Visy they may rethink supplying smaller quantities
When I got my canning machine I had to make a new die for the top of the van and was given about 200 cans with the machine
Kee very kindly gave me some 300 ml cans to try and the boys at KL also gave me a couple of 500ml cans (on a later visit) when I also explained to Kee my problem of sorting out my machine. Kee was also interested to find out if I could seal both Visy & KL cans with the same rolling dies
Can you please draw to Kee’s attention that the only thing that I need to alter for doing the different cans is the height!

I have contacted Visy but the smallest plain can is a half pallet of 4000 cans at about 25 c per can and lid
Smaller quantities of printed cans are available but printing set up and manufacture and packaging will cost in excess of $2000
However, if enough people make the enquires direct to Visy they may rethink supplying smaller quantities
When I got my canning machine I had to make a new die for the top of the van and was given about 200 cans with the machine
Kee very kindly gave me some 300 ml cans to try and the boys at KL also gave me a couple of 500ml cans (on a later visit) when I also explained to Kee my problem of sorting out my machine. Kee was also interested to find out if I could seal both Visy & KL cans with the same rolling dies
Can you please draw to Kee’s attention that the only thing that I need to alter for doing the different cans is the height!

We have done some testing since you last came in and also used some of the VISY cans. To seam the Visy cans you have to purchase this chuck:

The standard rolls on the machine seam the Visy CDLE lids fine.

With regards to height we have this taller spacer:
https://www.kegland.com.au/cannular-table-spacer-used-for-330ml-and-375ml-cans.html

So what can sizes did you want to seam? Did you have another can size where these above parts did not work?

We have done some testing since you last came in and also used some of the VISY cans. To seam the Visy cans you have to purchase this chuck:

The standard rolls on the machine seam the Visy CDLE lids fine.

With regards to height we have this taller spacer:
https://www.kegland.com.au/cannular-table-spacer-used-for-330ml-and-375ml-cans.html

So what can sizes did you want to seam? Did you have another can size where these above parts did not work?
My machine works fine with all the lids (G 64, CDLE & KL
My canner is one of the Chinese automatic (or semi auto) machines

My machine works fine with all the lids (G 64, CDLE & KL
My canner is one of the Chinese automatic (or semi auto) machines
I sold the other one, the funny thing was out of 5 requests for more information 4 were from coffee brewers!
And the one who bought it, just bought it straight off, and he had a coffee business in Richmond.

It took a few few fine adjustments for my mate to turn up the top chuck to hold the lids.
I got a pile of photos & measurements from a cannula top clutch and went with that ( the nylon clutches sat too low in the lid)

It took a few few fine adjustments for my mate to turn up the top chuck to hold the lids.
I got a pile of photos & measurements from a cannula top clutch and went with that ( the nylon clutches sat too low in the lid)
Glad you are getting enjoyment out of it would have been a shame if they had ended up as scrap metal.

Yes we now have the CDL chuck available. Here is a video we made to show you how to install it and setup up the rolls:

Sorry it's taken a bit longer than we thought. We have been meaning to do this for some time but only just finished this video today.

This will enable you to do the VISY cans:

Any idea when you'll have this chuck available again? Can't seem to find any information about when you guys will have it back in stock, and when I called Ollie didn't seem to know either.

Alternatively, anyone else have the CDLE chuck for rent/sale? because if it's going to be months before kegland have it back in stock i can't really wait that long.

I eventually made a screen for the canner. Works really well. Files located below if anyone want to make their own.

3D STL files & dxf file for the acrylic screen located here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkcB3oxki0kijrpJaND8rYZwv-iP6g

The two wedge pieces were designed so that the SBR12 linear rail could be easily mounted vertically but they are a little bit off. They can just be sanded a bit to get them right though.

Attachments

• 20191207_175832.jpg
    20191207_175832.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
  • 20191207_175823.jpg
    20191207_175823.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
  • 20191207_175727.jpg
    20191207_175727.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
  • 20191207_175700.jpg
    20191207_175700.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
  • Screen.PDF
    32.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191207_174024.jpg
    20191207_174024.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
I eventually made a screen for the canner. Works really well. Files located below if anyone want to make their own.

3D STL files & dxf file for the acrylic screen located here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkcB3oxki0kijrpJaND8rYZwv-iP6g

The two wedge pieces were designed so that the SBR12 linear rail could be easily mounted vertically but they are a little bit off. They can just be sanded a bit to get them right though.

Awesome job. Thanks for sharing the files. I am sure other customers will really appreciate what you have done too.

Back