Ales Vs Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi all, was wondering now that the coldweather is around is it better to do kit ales or lagers? or does it really matter? also is it worth swapping the kit yeast out for other yeasts?
cheers. :icon_cheers:

hi all, was wondering now that the coldweather is around is it better to do kit ales or lagers? or does it really matter? also is it worth swapping the kit yeast out for other yeasts?
cheers. :icon_cheers:

I think lagers are 12-14 or there abouts and most Ales are 18-20 but i could be wrong. Being in NQ its a good time to do ales but not cold enough to do lagers, i am just trying to make the most of the cold weather so that i have some stocks for summer as its near impossible to brew without a fridge up here.

EDIT: I have noticed better results when using other yeasts such as US-05 and Notto but i always keep the kit yeast in case i run into trouble, am going to put a batch of mead on today using kit yeast and one with bakers yeast to see the difference.

Given you are in Toowoomba, you'd probably be okay with a lager yeast. I'm assuming your daytime temps in where you'll be storing won't be getting up to 20 degrees.

Having said that, if you use US05 and particularly Nottingham yeast (which tolerates lower temps than most ale yeasts), you'll get a lager-like result, whilst having the flexibility of an ale yeast, should the temps get up closer to 18 degrees. I used Nottingham last year in brisbane - I have a brick house and the underneath barely gets up to 18 degrees even during the day, and nights will stay around 10-12. I got a fantastic result on an APA and AAA last year using it.

I've done a recent AAA, when we were getting those 10-12 degree nights and US05 and it fermented out fine and very clean and the resulting beer is fantastic.

Good luck.

Goomba

thanks guys for the replies. will try a different yeast.

I think lagers are 12-14 or there abouts

Depending on the yeast, I'd say the range is more like 7-12, with lower end being preferable. While you could get away with 14 in a pinch, you may get more esters than you want and would be better off using a low temp tolerant ale yeast like a German ale or kolsch under those circumstances.

I would use nottingham I done a brew with notto and brew with US 05 both brewed the same day both about 1052 OG notto finished in 5 days US05 9 days as the temps got down to about 14-15 and the US05 didnt like it the notto loved it also it ferments out better and drops better I think. maybe S04 to?? never used that in colder weather. You could even go a swiss lager yeast from craft brewer ross brews at 19 with that yeast and it is a lager so will handle 10 deg good to.

Back