Alcoholic Creaming Soda

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to make this without a kegging system?

You could always make ghetto alcoholic water and add it to the creaming soda mix instead of cordial if you like that flavour. Plenty of fizz if you use the high carbonation oztop. Or if you want to make it in a fermenter then go for it. 100g of dextrose and 5mL of lemon juice (preservative free - fresh squeezed is best) for every litre of water. Ferment out, prime and bottle. When you're ready to drink it refrigerate and make up as per instructions on the creaming soda mix (only use your ready carbonated and alcoholic water instead). Should end up around 5% alc/volume.

NOTE: There will be a winey aftertaste (similar to ruskis) that may not be for everybody. I recommend making up a small batch and seeing if you like it before doing a full 20L.

PS Though, that said, the total cost - dext, yeast, lemons, and the creaming soda cordial to make up 20L should all come to 15 bucks tops. That's less than 25c / 330mL alcopop.

Option 2
If you don't like the winey taste you can make your alco water with just water and tasteless spirit (vodka) and add yeast and priming sugar. There shouldn't be enough ferment there to add any discernible flavour, just bubbles. You will still have to add the cordial only when you're ready to drink it though.

Option 3

Or, if you have a soda stream maker, then make up creaming soda as per instructions (substituting some vodka for water).

Although option 2 and 3 will be much more expensive than 1 (about 6 times as much if you use cheap and nasty vodka), they will all be much cheaper than buying cruisers.

Don't think so. If you tried bottle carbing there is so much sugar that you would get bombs. Or you would end up adding so much alcohol that the yeast would die and they wouldn't carb up.

OK. I'm back. I pulled the keg out and checked the popet valves and all looks good. no blockages. So i rocked the keg, no a lot just enough to mix the contents, connected the gas to the gas inlet, turned it upside down, turn up the pressure to 300kpa and forced carbed till the gas stopped. Released the pressure and poured a glass. It was gassed and great. Not sure why this worked. could have jus needed a shake up or just needed to be force carbed. Thanks all for your help it was much appreciated. Still don't know why it didn't carb normally. Anyway all is good. Gonna try some different flavours and see how they go. Thanks again. :icon_cheers:

OK. I'm back. I pulled the keg out and checked the popet valves and all looks good. no blockages. So i rocked the keg, no a lot just enough to mix the contents, connected the gas to the gas inlet, turned it upside down, turn up the pressure to 300kpa and forced carbed till the gas stopped. Released the pressure and poured a glass. It was gassed and great. Not sure why this worked. could have jus needed a shake up or just needed to be force carbed. Thanks all for your help it was much appreciated. Still don't know why it didn't carb normally. Anyway all is good. Gonna try some different flavours and see how they go. Thanks again. :icon_cheers:

The smaller the headspace in the keg the longer it will take to carb as there is less co2 sitting above it. Turning it upside down bubbles the co2 through the liquid rather than just sitting on top of it so it dissolves faster and thus carbs faster. Shaking the keg works as well - the shaking helps the co2 disperse through the liquid. You can carb a keg in a few minutes by shaking. Have a look on here for the "ross method".

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back