Air-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troppo,

In a word "No"
The refillers have issues doing extingusher bottles that have only ever had CO2 in them.
I wouldn't want to get CO2 in my beer from a bottle that has had propane in it either.

Doc

How come the turkey that was sprucking Air-Up has gone soooooo quiet
Normell

Normell I saw that, but the heading that listed the interests didnt mention the homebrewing.

4x4 traveller, motorcyclist, diver, climber, teacher, drinker.
Gold Coast, Australia.

Ive been home-brewing for about ten years, and have always turned out a reasonable product
doesn't sound too serious about home brewing does he. 10 years and still ONLY reasonable??

The impression I got was that He's a bush basher that thought "Gee I wonder what will happen if I stick the big shiney bottle here???"

Think I'll go "right" now :party: this is getting tired now

there are better options around. if your new to the game contact one of the senior members of this forum in you area and ask them for advice.

i think it was linz that put me on to someone that filled my bottle. cheers bloke.

AND BEING A BUSH BASHER IS A BAD THING LINZ????????????????????????
each to their own mate, everyone has their own opinions but we dont need the negative ones thrown around, it makes for a bad feel
you have your life and and he has his as well, no point trying to make him do as you do
different strokes and all

troppo said:
AND BEING A BUSH BASHER IS A BAD THING LINZ????????????????????????
each to their own mate, everyone has their own opinions but we dont need the negative ones thrown around, it makes for a bad feel
you have your life and and he has his as well, no point trying to make him do as you do
different strokes and all
[post="46683"][/post]​

Troppo,

WHOA dude........didnt say it was. Just someone outside with NO real feel for the hobby or craft(which raises another point...why was there no craftbrewers at the needle and craft show at Rosehill race corse last weekend??) coming on and foisting their view on us and a sterotype alot here would understand.

focusing on the pointy end of the stick only ends up with a poke in the eye!..

As you so eloquently put it ..."no point trying to make him do as you do".... He came on here telling a number of us that what we were doing was wrong and detrimental to our health. Then to add the insult ..hit us up for $275 each.

So who was try to make who do what first then????

As I said before.....this thread is getting tired

Howdy MAH,
I think it all comes down to a standard. If it is certified food grade any downstream user of that product knows it is food grade. Once someone buys and them passes on a product and does not supply food grade certification then ANYTHING can happen to that product.
Just because it was foodgrade from BOC doesn't mean it is still food grade from fire extinguisher company.
You will have no legal comeback if you or one of your friends/family get sick.
After all you did buy gas from a fire-extinguisher company (because it was a little bit cheaper) knowing full well that food grade certified gas was available.
Another point is that there is a fire extinguisher company in Adelaide who make their own CO2 on premises. They will fill your bottle no worries. They do not have food grade certification.

Darren,

Who is it that makes their own C02 on premise? I would be starting to get worried then, because that IS a bit different from BOC etc listing all their gasses the same.

It's one thing to hear that BOC fill beer CO2 cylinders from the same source using the same lines as they fill non food grade CO2 cylinders. IMO it is a different kettle of fish when CO2 is being produced on-premise by a fire company for their fire extinguishers.

As (i think) the link I posted above outlines (the one pointing off to the US site), there can be many contaminants in CO2 after the production process which need to be filtered out. I personnally would have a long hard think before i got mine filled from this site, and I'm kinda hoping that it's not the mob I already got it filled at.

--Edit--

I also meant to say that I personally am not tired about this thread as some are. I'm using an extinguisher under the belief that it is safe to use. Information doesn't come out into the open until people get motivated (read: irritated / concerned) enough to search for facts.

Which is what is driving this whole thread.

Hi Michael,
I don't feel like being sued. If anyone is concerned just PM me with the name and I will tell you if it is them.
cheers
Darren

Michael,
Nope it is not them. Their name is very similar though. Not suprising I guess seeing how they are all putting out fires.
BTW, I am not trying to cause trouble, just concerned that because someone posted somewhere that all CO2 was ok to be used in beer does not mean it is.

A funny story is a year or so ago I went to a brew get together where there were quite a few experienced brewers. One of the beers we tasted everyone thought it was great. Nice sparkling bite to it. I thought that something was not quite right. I asked if the brewer (well respected) had added phosphoric acid to it. He said yes. Turned out he had added about 100x more acid than he should have. The nice, sharp, tingly sensation was the acid eating the enamel off our teeth :blink:
I hate to think what is happening to all those aluminium pots that people are using especially will poorly calculated acid additions.
My "gut" feeling is that if it isn't certified "food grade" it probably shouldn't be going into food.

Thanks for that Darren,

The place i use, is the same place that most people with Extinguishers in Adelaide have sourced their equipment from to my knowledge.

The more info the better when it comes to health. I only want to damage my liver, not the rest of me :) :blink:

Cheers

Boots said:
Darren,

Who is it that makes their own C02 on premise? I would be starting to get worried then, because that IS a bit different from BOC etc listing all their gasses the same.

It's one thing to hear that BOC fill beer CO2 cylinders from the same source using the same lines as they fill non food grade CO2 cylinders. IMO it is a different kettle of fish when CO2 is being produced on-premise by a fire company for their fire extinguishers.

As (i think) the link I posted above outlines (the one pointing off to the US site), there can be many contaminants in CO2 after the production process which need to be filtered out. I personnally would have a long hard think before i got mine filled from this site, and I'm kinda hoping that it's not the mob I already got it filled at.

--Edit--

I also meant to say that I personally am not tired about this thread as some are. I'm using an extinguisher under the belief that it is safe to use. Information doesn't come out into the open until people get motivated (read: irritated / concerned) enough to search for facts.

Which is what is driving this whole thread.
[post="46736"][/post]​

A fire Co is "manufacturing" their own Co2?????

Thats a new one to me...All the fire places I know of all have theirs trucked in by BOC or A/L...

Linz....rubbing his eyes with a second wind ;)

Any feedback for supagas, they seem the cheapest in adelaide and the guy I spoke to today seemed more than happy to help.

Cheers and happy brewing.

Robbo

Latest posts

Back