AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reckon I've put at least 5-10kg on in the last two months of pure indulgence. Cooked breakfasts and midweek beers really add up!

Started my intermittent fasting diet on 4 Dec.

Starting weight 78.5 kg

Weight as of 4 Jan, 69.8 kg

My target weight is 65 kg which I hope to achieve by the end of Jan.

Hey Panzerd18 how many days do you fast for? I saw a segment on tv the other day about the 5/2 diet. Seems like it's working for you.

Started my seafood diet on about 30nov. Now back at 105kg. Unfortunately not 28 and not all muscle. I was about 95 last year. Looks like coffee and beer only for the next month.

Can I say something? Diets are daft.
Energy must be less than energy out for weight loss. Therefore you need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight. Not that hard is it?
Eat a healthy diet with fresh food. Limit the processed crap to almost nothing. Drink lots, eat well, exercise.

I eat a meal to satisfaction and then go 48hrs to the next meal.

However I had 4 eating days over Christmas as a time off period.

Once you get past the first 48hrs, everything becomes easy. I'm needing less sleep, feeling like I have more energy, a clearer head and more relaxed.

Also once the weight starts to come off, you become motivated to continue and stick with it.

Other than losing weight, fasting has many other great health benefits.

Fasting is not promoted by many in the health industry because no money can be made from it.

In the future when I have some time off work I am looking to do a 7+ day fast to detox my body.

indica86 said:
Energy must be less than energy out for weight loss. Therefore you need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight. Not that hard is it?
Eat a healthy diet with fresh food. Limit the processed crap to almost nothing. Drink lots, eat well, exercise.
I remember seeing a study done, where they took two groups, one who were on a calorie restricted diet and another group on an intermittent fasting diet.

Those on the intermittent fasting diet lost 30%+ more than the calorie restricted diet. It has occurred to me that it is not just the energy you put it, but the timing of that energy intake as well.

Cool, so you saw it in a study... no knowledge of the source, but it looked good.
Must be true then.

For those who are interested,

http://youtu.be/4UkZAwKoCP8

For those who are not interested, please disregard my posts.

Liam_snorkel said:
Reckon I've put at least 5-10kg on in the last two months of pure indulgence. Cooked breakfasts and midweek beers really add up!
A 10 week honeymoon has done that to me, followed up with the festive season when we arrived back home.

Cheap beers and eating out each night, mixed with no sports has magically made my clothes shrink a little.

At least I don't have to wear a belt to work anymore.. :mellow:

fasting is very interesting and from what I can gather it is a very effective way to get rid of toxins. 99kg @ 6' here and it's all in the belly
I should be around 85 - was prolly 92 this time last year so from a "trending" perspective things are going the wrong way

just had a bet with my brother in law : first person to drop 10 % body weight in 100 days - he's 105 and 6'1"
heading out to pick up some running...ahem - walking shoes and I'm going to leave it at that, well, I will walk in them

good luck this year all!

I'll check in at 96kg in 30days...

Been a while since I reported in... after topping out at 120kg in late 2011, I've hit 88.5kg just before Christmas. This morning I was 90.5kg, with little to no diet discipline over the holiday break, i kind of expected that. Gonna try and maintain sub 90kg for the rest of the year. May even drop to 85kg.

Still got a little non-functional body weight to get rid of around the mid-section. Hopefully replace that with some lean upper body muscle. Would struggle to do 20 push ups at the moment. But after doing 10,000km on the bike last year can go for hours in the saddle and my legs have all the mass.

Mid 2011 I couldn't fit into any of my clothes... pants were sized 40-42. XXL shirts etc. I now have to wear a belt for size 36 and just bought some size 34 shorts before Christmas. BMI is about 22... not that i subscribe to the BMI theory... but it gives a decent idea of where I'm at.

Good luck to everyone this year. Enjoy a quality beer in moderation and stay healthy.

indica86 said:
Diets can be seen as simply a means to achieve the energy imbalance you mention and therefore are not daft per se. That said there do appear to be many that are based on flawed, bogus, misinterpreted or no science. At their worst they can be downright dangerous. So daft is perhaps a mild description for such diets.

However, to dismiss all diets as daft also dismisses those diets or diet schedules for which there is an exisiting and growing body of sound scientific evidence. For most people losing weight is a struggle and if a diet or diet schedule can provide a safe and effective route to winning that struggle then I’d suggest it’s hardly daft.

indica86 said:
?? In one sentence you say diets are daft, then in the next you say eat a "healthy" diet. You say eat fresh food but limit processed food - bread baked this morning is "fresh" but it is also processed. How do I decide? Not trying to stir your pot, but I think the general statements you've provided is unhelpful advice. With all the conflicting info out there about what is "healthy", it is really difficult for someone to decide what they can and should eat. I get what you're trying to say, but I've done a lot of reading on the subject and have been able to make informed choices. Not everyone has the time or wherewithal to work it all out.

Cheers - Snow.

My 2 cents.

I'm firmly in the calories in v calories out camp. Exercise alone is not enough. You have to also watch what you eat.

My example: About 6 years ago I was a 110kg couch potato which for me is a minimum of 30kg overweight. I started training for and doing triathlons. My exercise regime went from zero to about 9-10 hours per week swimming, biking and running. At my fittest I would think nothing of doing a 2 hour bike ride followed by a 10-20 minute run and maybe a swim later. Was usually doing 40+ workouts a month. At no point in the 2.5 years I was doing them (before my daughter was born) did my training slack off to the point when I could no longer do them. If someone said there's a tri tomorrow, I could have done it.

Now to the weight loss part. About 6kg's. I thought I would drop 25 easy. My problem was I was eating and drinking whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. Breakfast alone, as healthy as it was, was close to 1000 calories. BIG bowl of porridge with natural peanut butter. In fact 85-90% of what I ate was healthy. Just lots of it. My cholesterol was as low as 4 (5 is good).

I'm starting my training again now but this time will watch what I eat. Prob use my fitness pal. Monday morning I was 109kg. Aim to be 80 by mid July.

argon said:
BMI is about 22... not that i subscribe to the BMI theory... but it gives a decent idea of where I'm at.

Good luck to everyone this year. Enjoy a quality beer in moderation and stay healthy.

22 is in the normal range. If someone saw you I would be surprised if they thought you were overweight. Before I started my BMI was 27.

panzerd18 said:
22 is in the normal range. If someone saw you I would be surprised if they thought you were overweight. Before I started my BMI was 27.
Yeah I wouldn't say i'm overweight now... at my heaviest my BMI was 31. Not cool

Yeah the calories in / out argument is a gross oversimplification. It ignores all of human physiology and assumes we are as simple as a 2-stroke mower. Fucks me why people keep interjecting in this thread with little nuggets of wisdom like that.

Liam_snorkel said:
Yeah the calories in / out argument is a gross oversimplification. It ignores all of human physiology and assumes we are as simple as a 2-stroke mower. Fucks me why people keep interjecting in this thread with little nuggets of wisdom like that.
I'll just **** off then as you obviously know it all.

Edit: So why are people who burn more than they eat thin and those who eat more than they burn fat?

Latest posts

Back