AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to your whole post (if you read through the thread, there are periodic interjections of what I was taking about). Carry on, I'll show myself the door.

The human body is very good at maintaining the status quo. That's why some people can eat like a wrestler and look like a jockey, and vice versa. The trouble is that what people are trying to do is force their metabolism and hormonal system into doing the opposite that it's conditioned to.
That's why the diet industry is a thing. Obese people will calorie restrict, count every joule, and the second they overstep the mark their body will try to restore back to its previous state. That's why formulated diets and techniques exist.
Exercise is important for overall health and metabolism, but not that useful for (directly) controlling body fat. You get the idea.

Liam_snorkel said:
The human body is very good at maintaining the status quo. That's why some people can eat like a wrestler and look like a jockey, and vice versa. The trouble is that what people are trying to do is force their metabolism and hormonal system into doing the opposite that it's conditioned to.
That's why the diet industry is a thing. Obese people will calorie restrict, count every joule, and the second they overstep the mark their body will try to restore back to its previous state. That's why formulated diets and techniques exist.
Exercise is important for overall health and metabolism, but not that useful for (directly) controlling body fat. You get the idea.
So why are distance runners thin and couch potatoes fat?

And why does Michael Phelps, who eats 12,000 calories a day, not get fat?

You're missing the point, they have conditioned their bodies to be that way. It takes a long time to change your physiology. We're on the same page here, not arguing really, except you're taking about maintaining weight, this thread is about losing weight.

pipsyboy said:
Because distance runners run distances and couch potatoes don't.

Because Michael Phelps burns 11,000 calories a day.

Conditioning, exactly the point that was being made.

Anyway I'm joining in,

117kg yesterday morning, biggest I have ever been.
Looking to get to 90kg by my birthday in May.

ANY ADVICE.............

Jumping in to this thread late...

Always been sporty and eaten what I wanted, maintained about 90kg @ 6ft 1 for a few years (I'm 29). In 2013 I did an iron man triathlon but was by no means competitive, was happy to finish.

Mid 2013 i took up cross fit and did the paleo thing for a while. Got in good shape for my wedding this time last year.

Then the honeymoon...then the second honeymoon...then winter...then lots of beer...then festive season... Now 100 kg.

Feel like shit and hoping to join in and get motivated again. I think the hardest thing to cut back on is beer, not because I like to get drunk but because there are so many beers I want to try/brew. Even one beer a night is a big calorie boost so that is an obvious start. I started eating lots of carbs and didn't realise it too.

back on the mountain bike tonight and I felt it! Started paleo again to get going (people knock it but I felt great last time, not a long term diet for me though).

My goal is to be 90kg by my 30th in April but more just feeling healthier, I don't think weight is the ultimate measure of health. All the best to everyone getting healthier.

yum beer said:

And they burn calories whilst running them distances.

My point exactly. He burns more than he eats so loses weight (or in his case doesn't put it on.

Liam_snorkel said:
You're missing the point, they have conditioned their bodies to be that way. It takes a long time to change your physiology. We're on the same page here, not arguing really, except you're taking about maintaining weight, this thread is about losing weight.
I'm talking about losing weight too. My two previous examples are people who've just got the balance right and are maintaining weight. If they stopped exercising and ate the same calories they'd get fat. If they started exercising again they would lose weight.

yum beer said:

If Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories a day and burnt 11,000 he'd gain 50kg a year.

Whilst I largely agree with the theory, my main issue with the 'it's simply calories in less calories out' argument is that accurately recording calories in is a pain and accurately calculating calorie output on any given day is next to impossible for a normal person in everyday life. As there are 7,000 calories (approx) in a kg of fat, and an average adults calorie intake for weight maintenance is 2,000 ish calories a day, there isn't a whole heap of room for error. Even at 100 calories a day excess that's over 5kg of weight gain in a year and 100 calories isn't even a decent glass of beer.

Calories in Calories out is how i lost a crap load of weight, I didnt count everything, but after looking at packets and reading you have a fair idea what it is. I never exersized, well rarely. Boiled Eggs, Steaks and small varied meals, all of which i kept under the energy out of a man my age/size/weight and work movements.

it works people, it may sound to simple to be true, but it works.

Im pretty sure I kept everyday under 2000cals, and under 1500cals was a bonus and i was losing weight weekly and easily.

You cant just tell people just to eat healthy because most dont even know what that is anymore unless your picking it yourself straight off the plant or animal. I was always told it was OK to eat carbs as long as you stayed under your daily cal limit, and it worked for me, the downside with eating them though is they stay in your body longer and take a few days to lose, where protein is in and out in a day.

Now ive put most of it back on and its time to start again. :lol:

Ive mentioned this before and Liam is probably referring to me, Hi Liam :beerbang:

This is a great thread, I love hearing about the achievements of Argon, Cube, Matho and others. I think it also shows that there are a few different ways to skin the weight loss cat as such, personally I'd prefer to see this as a celebration of the positive life and health changes AHBer's have made than another thread of name calling / pot stirring and crap.
Keep up the good work!

I've been doing the 5:2 diet aka the fast diet. I've lost 15kg over the course of a year. I started at 115.3kg, and dipped below 100kg just before Xmas. My journey will end at 85kg (or 90kg... :)). As also noted by others, if I didn't love beer so much I would have lost a lot more weight... :)

this may help someone

my sis has been over visiting from wa, she was a big lass until around the time she had kids. she married a martial arts ~ weight lifter dude and started to lose weight by exercise and eating well. she competed in "naturals" body building comps and ended up owning a curves over in the US. she's worked for jenny craig and others - lots of stuff and at 47yrs she is a whisp of a thing these days even tho she doesn't do too much exercise now

since I have become a bit of a fat ******* I asked her what would be a really simple way to lose weight. sort of like cheating - that what I was looking for...

she said "your metabolism is high in the am and it drops down as the day goes on so eat your carbs in the morning and progressively abandon them as the day moves on"

i'm going to give that a whirl - excepting the beer of course

Latest posts

Back