AHB Articles: Vic XMas in July 2011 - Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless someone has a tried and true recipe, maybe we should go with the brewing classic styles recipe? Looks nice and simple.

However I vote tettnanger instead of hallertauer and if that's agreed, I can supply said hops and will pitch in with some Wey Munich.

Recipe is Munich + a touch of carafa II, 22 IBU, 1054 OG.

Unless someone has a tried and true recipe, maybe we should go with the brewing classic styles recipe? Looks nice and simple.

However I vote tettnanger instead of hallertauer and if that's agreed, I can supply said hops and will pitch in with some Wey Munich.

Recipe is Munich + a touch of carafa II, 22 IBU, 1054 OG.
Lets do it. Looking at about an 80L batch? Can we manage two 40L systems? I just need to mod my boiler and I've got a 98L pot, and my 50L keggle mash tun should be able to handle it (just)

Anyone got another biggish boiler and MT? Or do we go for two times on the one system like we did at Fents?

I might hang around for brew day? depending on what time you guys kick off, would be great to see a bigger batch in action.

I have nothing to offer, just a spare pair of hands if needed.

Lets do it. Looking at about an 80L batch? Can we manage two 40L systems? I just need to mod my boiler and I've got a 98L pot, and my 50L keggle mash tun should be able to handle it (just)

Anyone got another biggish boiler and MT? Or do we go for two times on the one system like we did at Fents?

Very closely based on Jamil's recipe, I have the following. More than happy for anyone to tweak or make suggestions and very happy for someone to run it through beersmith and calculate strike volume etc.

Beer: - Case Swap Munich Dunkel

Style: - German Dark Lager

Type: All grain

Size: 80 liters

Color: 50 HCU (~22 SRM)

Bitterness: 23 IBU

OG: 1.056

FG: 1.014

Alcohol: 5.4% v/v (4.2% w/w)

Grain: 20.0kg Weyerman Munich
0.68kg Carafa II

Mash: 70% efficiency

Boil: 60 minutes, SG 1.045, 100 liters

Hops: 161g Tettnanger (3.5% AA, 60 min.)
60.4g Tettnanger (3.5% AA, 20 min.)

Roughly 8 g Calcium Chloride.

Yeast : whatever you want. It is intended to be a lager though.

Single infusion, Mash @ 68 degree for 60 mins, batch sparge.

NB: Not adjusted for no chill. I don't feel it's a hoppy enough beer to worry about (never worry about with my own beers, even hoppy pale ales) but if anyone is concerned we can work it out.

I can supply the tettnanger and up to 10kg of the munich malt. I can also bring a 50 L esky tun, 50 L keggle, 4 ring burner, 4.5 gas bottle, 9.5 gas bottle, 2400W immersion element and 40 L HLT. I'd much prefer to split the batch across 2 systems rather than brew twice (Fents' place was fun but a bit exhausting brewing all day and into the evening). We should be able to boil 90 L in your kettle and top up as we go with the remaining 10 rather than have two boils so maybe I can leave my burner and keggle at home?

People taking wort should supply their own sanitised cubes.

Not sure about cracking the grain - anyone got an efficient motorised mill with big hopper? My hand cranked corona should probably stay at home for this one.

What time is this all kicking off?Time dependent i could bring the Braumiester 20l model and could put 1 or 2 mashes through it to up the efficiency as it will really only be mash time +mash out no sparge just a quick rinse of the grain.

Unless I'm mistaken 8g in 80L is well below 50ppm Calcium?

Probably. Not sure of the exact profile of water from Dandenong area and as I said, tweaks and suggestions are most welcome.

Based vaguely on my own water additions to push malt - I don't think sulphates are needed in this brew and I don't think carbonates are needed in any brew.

What reservoir services the dandenongs and I'll make a better effort to figure out a proper addition?

What reservoir services the dandenongs and I'll make a better effort to figure out a proper addition?
Sylvan one would presume, since its the one on-top of the hills there, however unless we're going to pipe water about 20km to Siborg's place on Springvale Rd, finding a profile for the Eastern Suburbs might be closer to the mark. ;)
But since we're using such small additions anyway, I'd build the profile based on R.O. water because the difference will be minimal.

EZ water calculator gives me 10g to mash and 7g to boil to get good pH, very malty beer.

Anyone else want to fiddle with silvan water, malty style beer, avoidig sulphates and carbonates?

Very closely based on Jamil's recipe, I have the following. More than happy for anyone to tweak or make suggestions and very happy for someone to run it through beersmith and calculate strike volume etc.

Beer: - Case Swap Munich Dunkel

Style: - German Dark Lager

Type: All grain

Size: 80 liters

Color: 50 HCU (~22 SRM)

Bitterness: 23 IBU

OG: 1.056

FG: 1.014

Alcohol: 5.4% v/v (4.2% w/w)

Grain: 20.0kg Weyerman Munich
0.68kg Carafa II

Mash: 70% efficiency

Boil: 60 minutes, SG 1.045, 100 liters

Hops: 161g Tettnanger (3.5% AA, 60 min.)
60.4g Tettnanger (3.5% AA, 20 min.)

Roughly 8 g Calcium Chloride.

Yeast : whatever you want. It is intended to be a lager though.

Single infusion, Mash @ 68 degree for 60 mins, batch sparge.

NB: Not adjusted for no chill. I don't feel it's a hoppy enough beer to worry about (never worry about with my own beers, even hoppy pale ales) but if anyone is concerned we can work it out.

I can supply the tettnanger and up to 10kg of the munich malt. I can also bring a 50 L esky tun, 50 L keggle, 4 ring burner, 4.5 gas bottle, 9.5 gas bottle, 2400W immersion element and 40 L HLT. I'd much prefer to split the batch across 2 systems rather than brew twice (Fents' place was fun but a bit exhausting brewing all day and into the evening). We should be able to boil 90 L in your kettle and top up as we go with the remaining 10 rather than have two boils so maybe I can leave my burner and keggle at home?

People taking wort should supply their own sanitised cubes.

Not sure about cracking the grain - anyone got an efficient motorised mill with big hopper? My hand cranked corona should probably stay at home for this one.
I'm thinking I'll just buy a bag of Wey Munich [type II (dark)?]

I'll put the recipe into Beersmith. PS, manticle. I have a spare beersmith 1.4 key if you want it. Lets keep the same hop addition wights, but just move them to 45 and 5, which would be fine for no-chilling from my experience.

I think we'll aim for two HLTs (electric elements) into two 50L MT's, into the one 92L pot. Anyone have a big f**k off burner I can use? I was planning to put two stick elements but:
1. I won't find the time to instal them
2. Power may be an issue on the day.

So gas fire may be the best option for the boil. I think husky has a pretty big hopper on his crankandstein. My el cheapo ozito drill hooks up fine to the crankandstein.

I've got 10 kg wey munich I to donate to the day. The carafa will bring the colour. Maybe a 50/50 munich I and II split? Might be interesting.

By the way - anybody keen to chuck in some carafa? Less than 1 kg needed.

At such a low IBU level in such a malty beer I reckon we just brew as is with no adjustment (ie. 60 and 20).

I have a 4 ring burner. You can always drop a stick heater into the brew while it's on the burner (taking care to keep the cord away from flames) to push more heat.

You need me to bring any of the other equipment I've listed?

I've got 10 kg wey munich I to donate to the day. The carafa will bring the colour. Maybe a 50/50 munich I and II split? Might be interesting.

By the way - anybody keen to chuck in some carafa? Less than 1 kg needed.

At such a low IBU level in such a malty beer I reckon we just brew as is with no adjustment (ie. 60 and 20).

I have a 4 ring burner. You can always drop a stick heater into the brew while it's on the burner (taking care to keep the cord away from flames) to push more heat.

You need me to bring any of the other equipment I've listed?
I think beerbelly has a mongolian type that throws out a decent amount of power. Bring your 4 ring along anyways, I might call around the night before or one night next week to pick up your equip (p.s. how you getting there on the day?)

I think the hop additions should be fine at 60 and 20. From what I put into Beersmith, at 60 and 20 the IBU's are a little on the low side, I was just thinking I don't want it to have too much hop flavour coming through, although it probably won't matter much as 20 mins (=~35 no chill) would be only slightly less isomerised than a 35 min. As I said, it looks like the IBU's are fairly low so I don't think it'll be a problem.

I'm not too sure about mixing type 1 and 2. Depends on the properties of each. Obviously one's darker than the other, but what about sweetness etc?

Either way, I'm happy to grab 10 keys of whatever munich (might grab a bag anyway) we need and I'll grab a kilo of carafa while I'm there... I need some of both.

In terms of gear, I reckon bring:
50L Mash tun
50L Keggle (to use as HLT)
Element
Any ingredients (you said you've got plenty of tett?)

I'll have essentially the same setup. 50L MT, 50L HLT. And we'll just both run the mash tuns into my 92L boiler and we'll use a combo of gas/electricity to boil. I have access to two circuits to keep the HLT water how with elements, so that's no problem, and I'll set up a make-shift 3 tier system for 2 side-by-side brew rigs.

Should be a good brew. :party:

What time is this all kicking off?Time dependent i could bring the Braumiester 20l model and could put 1 or 2 mashes through it to up the efficiency as it will really only be mash time +mash out no sparge just a quick rinse of the grain.
Hey, as much as I'd love to see one of these in action, I think the 2x2 HLT/MT into one big kettle option is the way to go for this.

I'll have to have a chat to you on the day about the BM, as I'm looking at buying one very soon.

I think beerbelly has a mongolian type that throws out a decent amount of power. Bring your 4 ring along anyways, I might call around the night before or one night next week to pick up your equip (p.s. how you getting there on the day?)

I think the hop additions should be fine at 60 and 20. From what I put into Beersmith, at 60 and 20 the IBU's are a little on the low side, I was just thinking I don't want it to have too much hop flavour coming through, although it probably won't matter much as 20 mins (=~35 no chill) would be only slightly less isomerised than a 35 min. As I said, it looks like the IBU's are fairly low so I don't think it'll be a problem.

I'm not too sure about mixing type 1 and 2. Depends on the properties of each. Obviously one's darker than the other, but what about sweetness etc?

Either way, I'm happy to grab 10 keys of whatever munich (might grab a bag anyway) we need and I'll grab a kilo of carafa while I'm there... I need some of both.

In terms of gear, I reckon bring:
50L Mash tun
50L Keggle (to use as HLT)
Element
Any ingredients (you said you've got plenty of tett?)

I'll have essentially the same setup. 50L MT, 50L HLT. And we'll just both run the mash tuns into my 92L boiler and we'll use a combo of gas/electricity to boil. I have access to two circuits to keep the HLT water how with elements, so that's no problem, and I'll set up a make-shift 3 tier system for 2 side-by-side brew rigs.

Should be a good brew. :party:

Getting a lift with Vitalstatistix I think although we may drop stuff (including cases) off the night or so before and PT it on the actual day.

Is my 40 L HLT too small? Easy enough to refill and it has temp guage installed. Much lighter than my keggle. Will bring burner and immersion element as well as spare gas bottles.

Let's just go all wey munich I with the carafa. I can bring the tett hops.

My crankandstein mill and hopper will hold around 6kg, happy to bring it along if you like. I do have a 20kg hopper made however I left it at my old work as I could never see myself needing it. I will see if I can get that for next week. Can also bring my 70L BIAB pot with 2x2200W elements if you want to use it as a boiler. I have some Munich1 as well if you cant get enough. Prolly only 8ish kg left.
Let me know what you would like me to bring.

Getting a lift with Vitalstatistix I think although we may drop stuff (including cases) off the night or so before and PT it on the actual day.

Is my 40 L HLT too small? Easy enough to refill and it has temp guage installed. Much lighter than my keggle. Will bring burner and immersion element as well as spare gas bottles.

Let's just go all wey munich I with the carafa. I can bring the tett hops.
Essentially, you should see it as doing a 40L batch. Need to mash in with about 25-30L water, batch sparge with ~20-30L(???) over two batches.... your 40L should be fine.

I'll grab some munich and carafa.

Bullsneck and hoser: make sure you bring sanitised cubes. I may have a spare available for a loan if one of you need.

My crankandstein mill and hopper will hold around 6kg, happy to bring it along if you like. I do have a 20kg hopper made however I left it at my old work as I could never see myself needing it. I will see if I can get that for next week. Can also bring my 70L BIAB pot with 2x2200W elements if you want to use it as a boiler. I have some Munich1 as well if you cant get enough. Prolly only 8ish kg left.
Let me know what you would like me to bring.
Hey Husky

Mill and the biggest hopper you have access to would be great. Also, I reckon you're pot would serve as a good HLT for us. We were gonna do two 50L HLT's with 1 2200w element in each, but I reckon yours would bring to temp quicker.

Just thinking things through. I think a stepped sacch rest and a single decoction will help this brewday beer along nicely. I'll bring a 15 L pot to decoct in.

I might not get time to do any food though.

What time do we aim to mash in?

Hey guys, bit of late notice but I can offer this up for the recipe if it helps:
Tettnanger: 6.5AA 100g
Hallertauer: '10 3.5% AA 130g

Here to lend a hand on brew day but had no experience on all grain yet so hope I dont get in the way.

Let me know on the hops

Cam

Back